Defensive Carry banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
My sole ND was because I stupidly pulled the trigger on my 10/22 as a teen rather than simply doing a visual inspection. It was quite foolish, and I knew better. That bullet is still in my old bedroom floor back at my parents farm.

Firearm safety basics are one thing, casually poor judgement simply because you are on the range and feel the risk is acceptable to clear your gun by aiming it down range and curiously pulling the trigger while not expecting it to fire is quite another. I count each round in each clip mentally as I fire, so I know how many I have left, and I know when I'm empty even without glancing at the slide on my 1911. But I still do a visual and physical inspection before I leave the bench if I'm not holstering the gun to carry it, post reload.

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
I personally don't let anyone shoot with me without first making sure they know the four rules.

I've never come close to an ND so far. I chamber check my firearms every time I pick them up. With the magazine released and the slide locked back, I still keep them pointed at the ground. You can ask my fiance, sister or any of the friends I've taken shooting. I am absolutely anal about firearm safety.

·
Banned
3,850 Posts
You need to perform a clear check more than once. Three times!! Drop the magazine and pull the slide back, check the chamber visually and with your pinky, perform the procedure again... then do it a third time just to be sure... Obviously once is not sufficient for you based upon you having 2 ND's in 1.5 years. That is two too many. You need to introduce secondary checks EVERY time you clear a weapon not only for your safety but for those around you.

·
Super Moderator
10,458 Posts
uhh both times i made a mistake i admitted it and removed myself from the firing line, i followed procedure by pointing it in a safe direction, granted i didn't check the weapon enough but i wasn't properly trained the first time and the second time i knew better but due to the fact we had been going for a few hours after i got off work i was tired and probably shouldn't have been on the range, I admitted my mistakes, what other brain farts are you referring too? Its been a year and a half since both incidents, and I have been shooting rifles and shotguns, for almost 12 years now, and handguns only about 2 years, for only 5 months when the second incident occured. People make mistakes. I havn't posted anything on here out of line or that could get me in trouble, legally or otherwise, before you go spouting off you might want to think about the fact that there are other things involved than what you understand. This topic is getting way off topic, this is supposed to be a judgement free thread where people can post their mistakes and others can learn from them, not get flamed for something stupid that happened a year and a half ago and has been learned from.
If you have been shooting for over a decade, there is no excuse not to visually and physically check the chamber of a weapon to ensure it is clear.

I never got to choose the times and places I got shot at, but usually I was some combination of hot or cold, wet, tired, hungry, and thirsty. When you are not at peak performance, is when Mr. Murphy will show up and ruin your day.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
My semi-auto clear procedure;
Drop the magazine
Keeping finger away from the trigger, turn off safety and using the hand over grip on the slide pull the slide back until the chambered round falls out
Lock the slide open
Visually check the chamber
Visually check the magazine well
Physically check chamber
Physically check magazine well
Set weapon in safe place/re-holster
Recover dropped round and place near magazine, well away from the weapon

Weapon is now clear, unless there is someone nearby who is involved with myself/the weapon then THEY clear the weapon.
The slide is kept open until/unless the weapon is reloaded, or being used for something (checking a holster fit, mounting a light, etc.)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Ok this thread is completely off I feel a lock coming on.

I havent had any ND's so far but I did fire my .357 after forgetting to put one of my earbuds back in. Ear rang for months.

·
Registered
236 Posts
uhh both times i made a mistake i admitted it and removed myself from the firing line, i followed procedure by pointing it in a safe direction, granted i didn't check the weapon enough but i wasn't properly trained the first time and the second time i knew better but due to the fact we had been going for a few hours after i got off work i was tired and probably shouldn't have been on the range, I admitted my mistakes, what other brain farts are you referring too? Its been a year and a half since both incidents, and I have been shooting rifles and shotguns, for almost 12 years now, and handguns only about 2 years, for only 5 months when the second incident occured. People make mistakes. I havn't posted anything on here out of line or that could get me in trouble, legally or otherwise, before you go spouting off you might want to think about the fact that there are other things involved than what you understand. This topic is getting way off topic, this is supposed to be a judgement free thread where people can post their mistakes and others can learn from them, not get flamed for something stupid that happened a year and a half ago and has been learned from.
Uhhh,

First, I didn't flame you. There would be no doubt in your thin skinned mind if I had.
Second, you needed to be snapped out of the complacent attitude of yours before you get hurt, or worse yet, hurt a brother or sister LEO.
Third, before you spout off about things you haven't learned yet, you need to get a handle on accepting responsibility for your actions. "I wasn't properly trained" and "I was tired" won't take back that bullet you just fired or revive your partner you just ran over with your car (he claimed he hadn't been trained in backing procedures; didn't matter, she was still dead). Admitting to your mistakes and owning them are two different things. You are still making excuses.

My dubious record for the longest shift without relief is 36 hours. How do you expect to perform after a regular 16 - 20 hour double shift, which is common in LE? If a few hours plus a shift makes you that unable to handle yourself in a safe manner, you should reconsider your chosen profession.

There is no room for "oopsies" when you have the power of life and death at your disposal.

QKShooter said it best "I say that because "force on force" and (in fact) all training regimens can only ever be approximate simulation of "real world" scenarios & if you are multiple NDing during training because you can't seem to get your head where it needs to be."

buckeye said "If you have been shooting for over a decade, there is no excuse not to visually and physically check the chamber of a weapon to ensure it is clear.
I never got to choose the times and places I got shot at, but usually I was some combination of hot or cold, wet, tired, hungry, and thirsty. When you are not at peak performance, is when Mr. Murphy will show up and ruin your day."

I am dead serious when I say You need to get your head straight NOW before you "oopsie" someone to death.

Yes, this is critical of your actions. If you think it is a flame, I can't help that, but you are in for a very rude awakening when you hit the streets.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
If you had "cleared the chamber", you should have seen that next round sitting at the top of your loaded magazine. Next time drop mag then eject round from chamber.

I think you have received good advice and a trip to the wood shed.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
how many times do i have to say it was a YEAR AND A HALF AGO! jesus people this is rediculous, and yeah i made a mistake, yeah i learned from it, GET OVER IT! It was in the past! Mods close this thread down, its too far off topic

·
Registered
236 Posts
I was about to edit my last post, but never mind.

If this type of thing gets you so riled up you can't spell, What are you going to do when someone spits in your face and tells you to go f yourself?

Good luck surviving FTO.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Shouldn't it be standard practice to eject the magazine before clearing a firearm?

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Yep... but we are all human, things happen - I don't care what anyone on this forum says, nobody is above human error. Until I see someone walk across water, stop, hover, balance on their pinky toe and crap a brick, I won't be convinced that the best safety is between your ears. That's nothing more than a way of saying "It hasn't happened to me... yet."

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Yep... but we are all human, things happen - I don't care what anyone on this forum says, nobody is above human error. Until I see someone walk across water, stop, hover, balance on their pinky toe and crap a brick, I won't be convinced that the best safety is between your ears. That's nothing more than a way of saying "It hasn't happened to me... yet."
- If the best safety isn't between your ears, what is?

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
All of the available safeties combined - your brain, and the physical safeties on the gun that are there because your brain will fail you at one point or another.

I feel it's to strong of a statement, if you read enough stories you should agree that some people's brains are definitely not their best safety. ;)

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
All of the available safeties combined - your brain, and the physical safeties on the gun that are there because your brain will fail you at one point or another.
None of my guns have manual safeties. If you pull the trigger, they will fire. Which is the reason that people are stressing the basic safety rules.

·
Registered
236 Posts

I feel it's to strong of a statement, if you read enough stories you should agree that some people's brains are definitely not their best safety. ;)
"f you pull the trigger, they will fire. Which is the reason that people are stressing the basic safety rules."

AMEN Brothers!

21 - 38 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.