Defensive Carry banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today our Unicameral (we only have one house in our legislature) began debate on LB 454, Nebraska Concealed Handgun Permit Act.

The bill's sponsor seems to have enough votes for passage (26) and also enough for cloture (33) of a likely fillibuster by one major PITA senator from Omaha. It all depends on the stratigies and tactics plus the moon/stars/planets being in proper alignment.

Interesting to note that the major opponent who calls those who want guns "Paranoid" reportedly once had a CCW permit himself because of death threats...go figure!

Our Governer has said that he will sign the bill into law.

$100, eye test, fingerprints, background check, approved safety training course within 3 yrs = 5 yr permit.

Keeping my fingers crossed!

There's a website http://www.ccwne.com that chronicles the efforts to get this passed. Go to the legislature forum for the latest scoop.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
My fingers (and toes) are very crossed for you too - it would be about darned time.

Feedback please as available dude.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Hope it goes through. Isn't it a shame that citizens have to go through these hoops, worry over whims of the legislatures just to be able to defend ourselves and utilize an already granted right. Where did it go wrong?????

·
1943 - 2009
10,368 Posts
Interesting to note that the major opponent who calls those who want guns "Paranoid" reportedly once had a CCW permit himself because of death threats...go figure!
Just like a certain U.S. Senator who used to be mayor of San Francisco!:rolleyes:

Anyway, good luck in Nebraska. Maybe they'll reduce that $100.00 fee. That's steep!

·
Registered
216 Posts
Good luck with it Neighbor! I certainly hope you can finally get this passed. I was born in Nebraska, and have always thought it interesting that open carry is so easy, but concealed was forbidden.

If you have enough support to stop Mr. Chambers from killing the session, passing should be a slam-dunk.

From where I sit, it always seems that the state of Nebraska gun owners really only have one hurdle to get past, and he seems to be it.

Fingers crossed from across the river! Hope they don't forget to sign agreements with other states.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I went to the site linked as well as the Nebraska legislature website. There is a streaming link to the debate, and I must say it is very interesting. I am a political junkie as well as a gun enthusiast. When an issue crosses both of those lines, it makes for a rather unproductive day at the workplace...

Thanks for posting!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, it passed the first round from General File to Select File. 33 to 12 with 3 not voting, I think.

This also included a vote to cloture the 1 major dissenter and his 6 tag alongs. 34 votes for cloture, 1 more than needed.

The dark side has made threats to shut down the Unicameral until he gets his way.

I'm hopeful that our folks have it under control.

We still have a way to go, but it's looking good right now.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Moondoggie said:
$100, eye test, fingerprints, background check, approved safety training course within 3 yrs = 5 yr permit.
Eye test??? Geeze, we're getting cheated in Michigan then. We pay $105.00 for a 5 year permit, and we don't get an eye test. ;)

Then again, we have to have taken our training course within 6 months of applying (first time that is).

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Al Lowe beat me to it. Eye test? I don't believe I have ever heard of any other state requiring an eye test. Have they heard of a lot of blind people applying for permits in other states? What is the thought process behind that requirment.

By the way, best of luck. My companies home office is in Neb. and I have to travel there from time to time. Sure would be nice to be not have to leave my rights at the border and be able to take my gun with me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts