Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can't make up my own mind so I thought I would ask for help. I presently have a P32 and am trying to decide if it is worth moving up to the P-3AT. I don't really go into harms way often, when I think it may get hairy I carry my CZ Rami. The Rami is uncomfortable to carry all day everyday so I have my P32 with me probably 97% of the time. I have been thinking lately that I should maybe go up to the 380. That's why I am asking for opinons. I shoot the P32 well and was thinking of maybe adding a crimson trace to it and backing it up with my NAA Pug. Given the additional cost to buy the P-3AT and the ammo shortage I am wondering if the move up is worth while. Any input ans/or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hello Gilfo,
I don't know if it is worth going up to the P3AT or staying with the P32. I have the P3AT and I didn't consider the P32 because it was difficult enough to get myself to go below 9mm. Since you have the P32 already I would get the Crimson Trace Laser, I have it especially because the site's are non existent and I am now blind in my shooting eye. My good eye has no problem seeing the red dot!
Good luck.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
While any weapon will do if you will, for me today I want to carry the largest caliber I can easily.

I use to carry an NAA22 as a backup pistol because carrying a Glock 19 and before that a Colt 45 which meant that sometimes, I had to leave my main carry in the car.

While I knew the little 22 was inadequate, I felt that having that little 22 was better than nothing.

Well times have changed and with drug crazy citizens roaming our streets, looking to score on any defenseless citizen, and knowing how hard it is to put someone jacked up on drugs down, I would not consider carrying anything smaller than a 380. And even with that I carry the best 380 rounds money can buy in my Kel-Tec P3At 380.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Generally, .380 is the smallest caliber that is considered for defensive use. Honestly, it sounds like you may be a little under-gunned. You don't have to necessarily go to into harms way, harm offers free delivery.

But points in favor the P32:
1) you already have it.
2) you shoot it well

Perhaps you may want to consider a more comfortable way to carry your CZ. What holster/setup do you use for it?

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
I think it would be wise to move up in caliber. Now ammo may be scarce in your neck of the woods for .380, and if that is the case you may want to hang on to your P32, assuming that you already have plenty of ammo for it. That is the one knock against the P3AT or any .380 pistol for that matter, finding ammo can be a real pain in the neck!:disappointed:

·
Registered
895 Posts
of the 2 guns you mentiond,i would definitely go for the P3AT,But if it were me, i would buy the PF-9 ..it's not much bigger then the P3AT and you have 9mm fire power..

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
IMHO, there would only be one reason not to move up. If you were unable to accurately, effectively shoot the more powerful round out of the micro-sized weapon, you might be better to stay with the smaller .32.

Other than that though, the .380 offers significantly better performance and I'd certainly prefer it over the .32. I say that as someone who's carried a .32 Seecamp for quite some time, while waiting on my .380 to be delivered, so I'm not as adverse to the .32 as many are. The .380's just better.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I've personally owned and liked the P11 Kel-Tec 9mm, but haven't tried either of the smaller ones yet. The .32 when I first saw/handled looked like a toy to someone used to bigger firearms. My .25ACP is bigger. My question that would determine "how" or "which" gun I would choose is:
1. How difficult is it to reload all 3 of the smaller pistols...especially a fast reload?
2. How much are the magazines....you probably need at least 4?
3. Availability of ammo? (A good point for the 9mm).
4. Sights...back sight is probably non-essential, but if you cannot put that front
sight on the target fast...that guy has a good point on the laser pointer add-on.
5. Finish...how will they hold up to accidentally being thrown into a pocket with some keys, coins, etc....not to say you will do this, but stuff happens!
6. Trigger pull...if it's this small, a hard trigger pull might mean you're off by a mile unless you start some finger strength training & dry-fire practice.
7. Cost...not everyone has $ lately...you have to save all you can.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I carried a KT .32 for awhile and wanted
something better than a .32 so I bought
a Ruger LCP. If I were you I would carry the
.32 as a BUG and get one of the KT 9mm.
Now I feel that I need to move up from a .380
I do like the KT .32 because of its weight and size
also like the 10rd mags for it.

·
Registered
545 Posts
In most instances with modern ammunition...

.32 ACP FMJ provides adequate penetration and is .309" dia..
.32 ACP JHP can be iffy in penetration while usually expanding poorly up to about .435" dia..
As a result most people choose FMJ in .32 ACP.
GoldenLoki.com

.380 ACP FMJ provides adequate penetration and is .355" dia..
.380 ACP JHP can provide adequate penetration while also expanding well up to about .645" dia..
As a result some people choose either FMJ or JHP, and some mix FMJ and JHP in .380 ACP. Some vary this depending on the thickness of clothing the opponent(s) are expected to be wearing during the season at hand.
GoldenLoki.com

Personally, I chose .380.

Bobo

·
Registered
22,908 Posts
I prefer the 32ACP. I wont tell you why because its sure to start a pointless argument. But do look into the merits of the ammunition and the pistols themselves. A little research will tell you a lot.

·
Registered
143 Posts
of the 2 guns you mentiond,i would definitely go for the P3AT,But if it were me, i would buy the PF-9 ..it's not much bigger then the P3AT and you have 9mm fire power..
Or the Kahr PM9, or . . .

Seriously, get yourself away from these little calibers for your primary carry piece. Remember, friends don't let friends carry .380.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I had a KT P32 and opted to sell it and get a Ruger LCP due to my doubts about the .32 cartridge.

I can tell you that the fit and finish on the little Ruger is much better than my KT was. That being said, the KT was a dead-reliable sweet shooter and (although I haven't shot the LCP very much due to ammo availability) I was able to shoot the little .32 much better than the LCP. The .380 round in such a small package is a very snappy little bucking bronco.

·
Registered
10,938 Posts
I wouldn't replace one mouse gun with another. Just load your P32 with FMJ and put the rounds where they count. The laser will help with that. It's the warrior, not the weapon that counts.

If you have doubts about your pistol, I would go all the way up to a 9mm.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I have had all five of the KT carry pistols, and my favorite is still the little P32. I traded a perfectly good P11 to get the P32 for my wife, and it's the only handgun she claims as her own. It's also the only handgun she can consistantly put rounds COM. For that reason, the little P32 has stayed in the "collection". I recently traded the three year old P3AT and a couple hundred bucks for a Kahr CW9 (which replaced the KT PF9 I traded a year or so ago for a S&W 637). I only miss the diminuative size of the P3AT, which I carried "boot style", but don't miss the gun itself.

I would say that if you feel confident in the P32 and your abilities to hit COM, particularly with follow up shots, keep it! Unless you install a rimlock kit for JHP carry, only load the one in the tube JHP and the one on the top of the mag JHP... the rest FMJ.

I do like the P32! Just my opinions.

surv

·
Premium Member
3,019 Posts
I own all 4 Kel-tecs.

The P32 is the best shooting of the bunch with the 10 round mag in. My wife carries it daily.

The P3AT is my "always" carry gun in a pocket Rough Out.

The PF9 is a great summer gun because it disappears under a t-shirt or in a Rough Out.

The P11 is a great option for a fuller size grip 12+1 (with new mags) and I carry it as a back up to my S&W 6946 so extra mags work in either gun.

I like and carry them all. I would recommend keeping the P32 and getting a more comfortable holster for your Rami and carry both. :comeandgetsome:

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
Keep your .32 and like some have suggested, load it with a solid JHP. Add the laser for accurate bullet placement and work on getting yourself a good 9mm EDC as your primary. Use the .32 as a BUG to your primary.

The KT PF9 or the P11 are good pistols and chambered in 9mm will be a good choice for CC. They come with a lifetime warranty, IMO it's a win, win. Obviously the .380 round is better than the .32, but both are bare minimum for defense. I have the LCP as a BUG and I feel if push came to shove, it'll do what it's supposed to do.

The pocket pistols are up close and personal weapons and as such will usually lend themselves to just that, in your face or chest, point and shoot defense pistols. Follow the first round by another and another and, Well you get the point. Good luck with your choice. I would suggest you look at the CW9 from Kahr. The quality is excellent and a step above some comparably priced pistols IMO.

Another suggestion might be. Get yourself a good revolver. IMO, everyone should have at least one.:image035: Taurus has a pretty good .38 revolver for a little over $300. Load the thing up with some good +p .38s and you should be pretty well defended.:smoke23:

·
Banned
112 Posts
I'd go for the Kahr PM9. I love mine. Much smaller than the PF-9 and still holds 6+1 of 9mm and is +p rated. It's just a tiny bit taller and longer than the P3AT and only about 1/4 thicker. Much better made, too.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
I have had and carried a P32 for years and I prefer it to the .380 for a number of reasons. Controllability, ammo availability, features on the .32, and the need to fix the smiley problem on the .380s to start with. I had a thread on here a while ago about how my P32 got a bunch of melted candy on a spare magazine and I was able to fire it.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I wouldn't replace one mouse gun with another. Just load your P32 with FMJ and put the rounds where they count. The laser will help with that. It's the warrior, not the weapon that counts.

If you have doubts about your pistol, I would go all the way up to a 9mm.
The weapon is most certainly part of the equation.

Proper training and practice are critical, but having a large enough caliber to reliably get the job done also plays an important role.

Yes, mouse gun calibers have been known to stop criminals on occasion, but not reliably so.

For those serious about armed self-defense, don't consider anything less than a 9mm for semi-autos and a .38 Special for revolvers, preferably jacketed hollow points.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts