Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's a nice officer's size grip 1911 in the $600-$800 price range. I really like the Kimber Compact CDP II, but it's a little above my price range.

·
Registered
543 Posts
You'll prob need to look at RIA's for something in that price range, or look something used I believe.

·
Registered
241 Posts
What's a nice officer's size grip 1911 in the $600-$800 price range. I really like the Kimber Compact CDP II, but it's a little above my price range.
RIA makes an all steel compact with an officer's grip. I think they're around $450.00. (The Citidel is made by the same folks and looks to be identical.) Being all steel, they may weigh more than what you're looking for. The company seems to get very good comments on their customer service.

I bought a Kimber U.C. ll from Bud's for $750.00 delivered a couple of months ago and I have around 600 rounds of cast bullet handloads through it so far with zero problems. It's small and light and I enjoy shooting it. A couple of days ago, I shot it at 25 yards with a two hand hold and it shot a 4 1/4" group. I was pretty tickled.

Here's a 7 yard group shot offhand.

·
Registered
91 Posts
You'll prob need to look at RIA's for something in that price range, or look something used I believe.
+1 I don't think that you can go wrong with the RIA tactical compact. They get really good reviews, and are generally considered to be a great "bang for the buck." I have read very few negative comments about any of the RIA or Citadel guns. I just got a Citadel a couple weeks ago, but I haven't shot it enough to form my own opinion yet. You should be able to find either the RIA or Citadel in the $500 range.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I currently have a High Standard which is also an Armscor gun. It's their Compact Crusader, same as the RIA Compact Tactical. One major problem is that the front sight's dovetail is not a standard 1911 cut. I can't buy replacement sights for the darn thing. Before you ask, yes I have measured my dovetail and contacted many of the night sight companies and get the same answer from every one of them "were sorry we only make this dovetail or that dovetail, we don't make one that will fit your slide". It's really annoying not to be able to put a set of night sights on the gun. I also bought a standard dovetail front sight just to try it, and sure enough, it didn't fit. I don't know if the RIA or Citadel guns are the same way, but I'd rather not find out the hard way again. I also contacted Armscor, but they wern't much help at all either.

·
Registered
434 Posts
You may want to look at a Taurus PT1911, as well. Not sure if they make a compact though.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Save up and get your dream 1911 gun.
I did, and in 1999 bought my dream gun , a Wilson Combat.
Prices sure have gone up sine 1999.
My Full size Protector model in .45 ACP, was around $1700 including shipping and transfere fees. The only difference between the CQB & the Protector model, was color and the Protector had a full length guid rod. Everything else was exactingly the same. And in December 1999, I payed out about $1700 for the gun of my dreams. This gun is still in perfect running order,and went to the Steel Challenge with it in 2003.
Now if I wanted anther pistol from Wilson Combat, the prices are way higher then before,almost going on 11 years. I received the 2010 catalogs and it will cost me $900 more then I payed 11 years ago. Now my gun is listed at $2600.
Well, My next dream gun is going to be the Tactical Super Grade, which is listed at a merely price of $4,350. I will get this gun,as soon as I find a better paying job,with actual benefits;ie, medical/dental that are adequate for surviving human life, with out filling bankruptcy every ten years.
So for now ,I'm happy with all I have, but dream of better jobs,medical benefits,amd a actual vacation away from the rat race we live in .
Then I will buy the new gun of my dreams, a
"Wilson Combat Tactical Supper Grade in .45 ACP.
For $4,350.00
Wish me luck,and god spead to all of you and yours special dreams !!!

www.wilsoncombat.com

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
The RIA compact is a good pistol. The only thing is like mentioned already is it is a little heavy, but that helps with recoil and follow up shots. Thinking about getting a al frame to go on mine just to lighten the load a bit.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I'd shop for a Colt Defender if I was you (I did!) It is compact and lightweight. I found one for about $700.The all steel models are just too heavy for comfortable CC.(my opinion).

·
Registered
281 Posts
I currently have a High Standard which is also an Armscor gun. It's their Compact Crusader, same as the RIA Compact Tactical. One major problem is that the front sight's dovetail is not a standard 1911 cut. I can't buy replacement sights for the darn thing. Before you ask, yes I have measured my dovetail and contacted many of the night sight companies and get the same answer from every one of them "were sorry we only make this dovetail or that dovetail, we don't make one that will fit your slide". It's really annoying not to be able to put a set of night sights on the gun. I also bought a standard dovetail front sight just to try it, and sure enough, it didn't fit. I don't know if the RIA or Citadel guns are the same way, but I'd rather not find out the hard way again. I also contacted Armscor, but they wern't much help at all either.
You haven't tried hard enough. Trigicon CO1 I believe is the number will fit the Compact tac.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I would go with the Springfield Loaded Champion if you can find it. If not a SA G.I. for about $600 and spend the extra on decent sights.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I have 2 pt 1911,s made ny Taurus love them bot, both 5 inch 45 acp, no one made night sights for them, finially, the only person that makes them are Heinie.com...You get alot for you dollar with them.My avatar is one on them,the Dual Tone model....only cost about $650.00 Bought mine at Accademy Sports store.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Ditto on the Colt. Have a first year(steel)Officer's Model. It's been worked(remember it's a circa '85 gun)by Wilson(amoung others) and I run an Evolution Gun Works guide-rod with ISMI springs. Hate FL guide rods,but all the compacts run a version. Good Luck

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just in case anyone wants to know, I decided to spend the money on the wife instead. She's going to be the proud owner of a brand new Sig P238 from Buds (last one they had).

·
Registered
130 Posts
You can get a lot of compact 1911 for $800.00. Respectfully, don't settle for a second-tier 1911 when you can get a top-flight 1911 for the money you have budgeted.

Kimber's Ultra Carry is a darn fine choice, as is a Springfield Compact. A buddy of mine has a Kimber UC that he NEVER lubes...I scold him and scold him for it. I've told him that compact 1911s are finicky anyway, and oiling the thing only makes it more likely to work. He ignores me, shoots it bone-dry, and the thing is reliable as the rain.

Smith makes a decent compact 1911 and I own a Colt Commander that I bought for $750 NIB and it's WONDERFUL. It conceals well and shoots like an absolutely champ.

Don't settle for seconds when you can have the best.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Go for the Rock

+1111 on the Rock Island. Solid, dependable, accurate and won't break the bank. Mine was under 400.00 at a local gun show almost two years ago. Nearly 1,000 rounds, zero problems. :hand10:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts