Defensive Carry banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an old quad rail on the AR15. I like the M-lok system on the new AR. I'm having trouble finding a lightweight 15" free float handguard with the older barrel nut.

The threads are about 1 13/16". The old quad rail just slides off. The new stuff seems to have smaller barrel nuts (about 1 9/16?) and you need to remove the gas tube and block to r&r the handguard. I'm not removing that stuff for a handguard.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
@Psycho41 "YHM" Yankee Hill?
Looking at their website, they show at least three different barrel nuts. I would suggest contacting them and giving them details on what you have now (if you don't know/can't find the model number maybe send a picture) and ask them if there are other hand guards that use the same barrel nut. Although, if it is an "older" one, I would assume your options would be limited.

FWIW: Removing the gas block and gas tube can seem daunting, but is a pretty easy process if you want to watch a couple YT videos. I built my AR and also had to replace the gas tube which was causing short strokes. However, I have a problem that I won't be able to replace my gas block as I opted for a 14.5" barrel and had to have my flash hider pinned and welded to avoid becoming Bubba's girlfriend.

·
Registered
5,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@Psycho41 sure, removing the gas tube is easy. But you need to put it back in. That was no picnic. Then, the proprietary barrel nut still needed a spacer to properly torque it. Oh, I needed a new crush washer for the muzzle device because I had to remove the gas block to get the new, low profile barrel nut on.

So...after some hard wrenching, a bourbon and a night off, cursing at Psycho41...
I'm just waiting for the new stock and sling from Midway. How hard can those be? :oops:

·
Registered
35,987 Posts
So...after some hard wrenching, a bourbon and a night off, cursing at Psycho41...
I'm just waiting for the new stock and sling from Midway. How hard can those be? :oops:
You're gonna need to pour a double...

Reactions: Nmuskier
1 - 7 of 7 Posts