Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a cheap AK style SHTF rifle. I am looking for something cheap w/o sacrificing reliability. What are my options. I understand that by stating I want cheap, that it might be a contradiction for reliability, but there have to be some inexpensive options. what are they?
Many thanks

·
Super Moderator
50,603 Posts
Forget the AR route...you want to protect the home front? Get an ole' dependable Marlin 336, a 30-30 (for 1/3 the price of an AR)...:yup:

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
The Romanian WASR10s are about as inexpensive as you can get for an AK clone. I recently sold mine to fund an AR-15 purchase because I enjoy the AR a bit more due to its accuracy and modularity. Three years ago I paid a little over 400 dollars for a WASR10, now I think for a NIB one, expect to pay at least 500 dollars give or take fifty bucks.

I can certainly vouch for the WASR10's reliability. It wasn't much of a tack driver but it had it where it counted as most AK-47s do.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Just get a cheap 200 dollar 20 or 12g pump gun. You will not miss the target loaded with some 3 inch buck.

Why risk taking the neighbors kid out!

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
The OP never stated his use for the AK other than a Katrina type scenario so we don't even know if its going to be used for home defense.

·
Banned
13,684 Posts
Maybe a Century Arms WASR? I like the 7.62x39 personally, but the 5.45x39 may be a new wave worth looking into. If your definition of "cheap" is $500 or less, then this might be the way to go. I haven't really researched magazine and ammo availability for the 5.45x39. I do like what I hear about the ballistics of the cartridge though.

·
Premium Member
3,579 Posts
a cheap AK style SHTF rifle. I am looking for something cheap w/o sacrificing reliability. What are my options. I understand that by stating I want cheap, that it might be a contradiction for reliability, but there have to be some inexpensive options. what are they?
Many thanks
I would consider most AK's or SKS's as cheap.

·
Registered
6,741 Posts
SKS is one of the best options. If you really want an AK platform, the Saiga is one of the cheapest ones if you don't need a pistol grip. I have had no problems with reliability.

·
Registered
356 Posts
+1 For the SKS
Better built then the AKs and cheaper. Put a longer stock on it and you have a semi-auto hd/ deer rifle w/ 30-30 ballistics.

·
Banned
265 Posts
Many thanks
I would check out a Kel-Tec SU-16C.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Many thanks
Cheap? Not possible with todays prices :gah:

How about the Kel tec Sub 2000? 9mm or .40

Kel Tec

·
Registered
500 Posts
Fleet Farm here keeps a few of the WASRs in the case. This week, they even have two under folders. They are not very expensive.

My preference would be the Levergun or the Mini 14 for rifles. But my 12 gauge is a great gun. That would "Lay the Smack Down" pretty well all by itself.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Hrrm yeah since you didnt get specific with your needs go with an SKS. Packs a punch out to 300yards, accurate as hell out to that range, and cheap as hell to purchase, and does not qualify as an assault rifle due to its design.

·
Registered
5,327 Posts
Just had a buddy buy a WASR-10 for 425 OTD off Gun Broker. It was in great shape and came with like 5 mags and a case and 50 rounds of ammo. Look there and keep a watchful eye you will find a great deal. The SKS is also a great deal to be had if you like the looks of them.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts