Defensive Carry banner

Need advice on books

3K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  ExSoldier 
#1 ·
I'm relatively new to carrying and have schedule some more advanced training (through Suarez international). In the mean time I'd like to find some great books that deal with the actual mechanics of combat shooting, mindset of personal protection. I have ordered Ayoobs gun digest of concealed carry. Any other recommendations?? Thanks in advance

#4 ·
Principles of Personal Defense...Jeff Cooper
Surgical Speedshooting...Andy Stanford
On Combat...Dave Grossman
On Killing...Dave Grossman
Warrior Midset...Dave Grossman

#5 ·
Principles of Personal Defense...Jeff Cooper
Surgical Speedshooting...Andy Stanford
On Combat...Dave Grossman
On Killing...Dave Grossman
Warrior Mindset...Dave Grossman

#10 ·
"quick Or Dead"
by William L. Cassidy
&
"No Second Place Winner"
by Bill Jordan
&
"Principles of Personal Defense "
by Jeff Cooper
&
"The Service Revolver and How to Use It"
by Captain C. D. Tracy
&
"Shooting To Live"
by
Fairbairn
&
FMFRP 12-80 Kill Or Get Killed
by U.S. Marine Corps

#12 ·
I’ve been an instructor for 33 years. Trust me when I say you cannot learn what you need to know from a book, especially on fighting with a firearm. I’m a five time graduate from the Sig Sauer Academy for advanced instructor level courses. You can’t get any better than them. I did those courses as a working educator in the summers. So they’re affordable.

But it IS very possible to train yourself to spot trouble headed your way from a book. I recommend (from Amazon) a book titled LEFT OF BANG. It was recommended to me by my former professor from my Master’s Degree who taught me (among others) in my course in Counterterrorism. He’s a former Director of the BSU in the FBI. His FBI CV is (gulp) 32 pages long.

Reactions: Rock and Glock
#14 ·
I totally agree with “The Gift of Fear” as good reading for this topic.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.