Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will be getting my CCL soon and need your sage wisdom and advice on a holster BUT NOT which one BUT rather on style. I need the benefit of your experience. I am 5'10.5" (that .5 is important) and weigh 235. (working on it). I have a S&W M&P 9mm Shield. So a light small gun with too much tummy. (and as typical of men, no butt) I anticipate wearing at about 4:00 to 4:30 on the right side. concerns are wearing while driving and access while sitting in a car.
Of the several styles I am looking at there is
- The Aliengear Tuck 3.0: Very popular. Relatively inexpensive. But fairly large. Dual clips metal or nylon. Cant Adjustable (Galco KingTuck looks the same)
- A Foxx DELUXE TRAPP" IWB HOLSTER (ALL KYDEX). Non-Tuckable?? Cant adjustable Smaller but all Kydex. Clip is wide. and nylon (easier on the car seat). Single clip. Costs more than the Aliengear with the larger holster and steel layer and insulated back etc. https://www.foxxholsters.com/products/deluxe-trapp-holster-kydex?variant=1221693725
- Crossbreed Mini Tuck. Tuckable. Smaller than Aliengear but larger than the Foxx Cant adjustable
- A TW MAXX T3 holster which is smaller than Aliengear but larger than the Foxx.
- Galco TUCK-N-GO INSIDE THE PANT HOLSTER. Small like the Fox but Tuckable. THIN belt clip, not wide like the Fox. Cant NOT adjustable. Galco IWB Holsters at Galco

So I am looking at Aliengear with all sorts of technology and inexpensive. Non-Tuckable Foxx with wide single clip; Crossbreed with narrow clip; TW in a medium size; and a Galco with a thin tuckable clip and relative small holster.

I guess I am struggling with Aliengear is cheapest with the most technology and I know there is no free lunch. Is there an advantage to a large leather piece like Aliengear and Galco KingTuck vs a smaller piece like The Crossbreed miniTuck? The =Foxx has a wide single clip and the Galco Tuck and Go has a thin clip.

Agin, not so much the holster as I have noticed you can find virtually the same holster by several manufacturers but rather the difference in style. That is why I included the link so you can get a visual.

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
Look at the Talon Holsters. I have the brown for the Shield and it carries very easy.

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts
Another along the same lines as the Crossbreed is the Minituck from White Hat Holsters. They are my go to for IWB holsters, particularly their horsehide backed holsters. The horsehide is thinner than cow leather, and provides better sweat protection.

Also, they are running a sale till the end of the day. 18.1% off in honor of the 181'st anniversary of the independence of Texas.

Reactions: HoustonB77

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
I have and like Milt Sparks Summer Special II's and a Vedder LightTuck for IWB carry. For OWB use I have and like an old Bianchi Askins Avenger which is like a Milt Sparks 55BN. I'm not sure if, or how many, people make similar holsters to the Vedder but many holster makers make holsters similar to the Sparks.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I own and carry a Shield in a Crossbreed Mini-tuck.
I also own several other Crossbreed holsters, mini and super.
I also own two alien gear holsters, In my opinion I like the Crossbreed much more, the kydex completely surrounds the firearms on the sides, the alien gear is like a kydex sheet that mounts on several polymer/rubber? posts and is open all the way around.
I have modified several of my friends alien gear holsters for them because the leather backing is the same size for a Large firearm down to a Small firearm, I actually laid my Crossbreed mini-tuck on top of their alien gear holsters and traced the outline and used my bandsaw to cut the leather smaller and punched new holes for the clips, now their Sig p238's fit in holsters that look like they were designed for them instead of for a Glock 17, the one size backing fits all weapons, is not a great idea by any means.
Just my experience.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Aquaman. I appreciate all the feedback but the size of the Aliengear is another issue that concerns me. I have heard you really don't need the big wide holsters unless you have a large/heavy gun. But I don't want to get something too small. Also the Foxx is all Kydex, I can image that might be uncomfortable.
So initially the smaller two clip holsters might be better than the larger ones. (Beauty is in the eye of the beer-holder!)

·
Registered
4,784 Posts
For a hybrid style I recommend the Black Arch Protos-M with the breathable fabric backing. For me personally, I find the all kydex RM Lowrider to be the least obtrusive and overall most comfortable. I'm 6' and 235 pounds.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Thanks Aquaman. I appreciate all the feedback but the size of the Aliengear is another issue that concerns me. I have heard you really don't need the big wide holsters unless you have a large/heavy gun. But I don't want to get something too small. Also the Foxx is all Kydex, I can image that might be uncomfortable.
So initially the smaller two clip holsters might be better than the larger ones. (Beauty is in the eye of the beer-holder!)
Even with small guns, wider still works by spreading weight. The Shield is such an easy carry gun you really can't go wrong. I'd suggest a hybrid with 2 belt clips to stabilize it. Look at White Hat, great great hybrid holsters and a great guy to deal with. The great thing too is his kydex molds are swappable if you ever get a second gun you want to carry.

Enjoy the Shield, one of the best smaller carry guns out there.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I anticipate wearing at about 4:00 to 4:30 on the right side. concerns are wearing while driving and access while sitting in a car.
In my (albeit limited) experience, a pistol carried IWB at 4 - 4:30 is not going to be easily accessed while seated in the driver's seat, regardless of which holster you choose, especially assuming you're wearing your seat belt.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Maybe something to get up and away from too much tummy, as in a shoulder rig, have you ever tried one on? They are surprising fast if you have the right set up. As for suggestions, some of the guys here would know more about it than i would, but its something I'd consider. :smile:

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Maybe something to get up and away from too much tummy, as in a shoulder rig, have you ever tried one on? They are surprising fast if you have the right set up. As for suggestions, some of the guys here would know more about it than i would, but its something I'd consider. :smile:
Thanks, I like the idea but I very seldom wear a jacket.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I carry a Glock 23 in a Vedder Light Tuck. It's an all kydex, single clip holster much like that Foxx you posted above. So far it's been great & much more comfortable than what I thought it would be. I had originally purchased a Rapid Tuck from Vedder, but after a few weeks I still felt it was too bulky. The Light Tuck is perfect, just slightly larger than the gun & is highly adjustable, with the ability to adjust not only cant, but also ride height.

·
Premium Member
992 Posts
General features: Thin non kydex backing, wider - within reason - and 2 clips/straps, one fore and one aft. My choice for IWB/tuckable is horsehide CrossBreed MiniTuck for a Kahr PM9

·
Registered
642 Posts
Thanks, I like the idea but I very seldom wear a jacket.
i started wearing vests long before conceal carry came along, what a nice surprise to discover that my vest is used for something other than extra pockets, not to mention a distinguished look if your a businessman.

·
Banned
2,569 Posts
In my (albeit limited) experience, a pistol carried IWB at 4 - 4:30 is not going to be easily accessed while seated in the driver's seat, regardless of which holster you choose, especially assuming you're wearing your seat belt.
Yeah you can forget that, I don't even want to think about the gymnastics you'd have to pull off in most cars. In a car seat I want a cross-draw.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Glock 27 in my RM Lowrider. I normally will wear without an undershirt.

This is simply EXCELLENT advice, if it's IWB you want. The pistol's size is suited to the man's size, the position at 4:00 is ideal for concealment and presentation, the holster's ride height (whoops, had another look at the pic, ride height is not ideal for presentation and violates the Bruce Nelson law of a full grasp at the point of drawing) and carry angle are ideal for that 4:00 position.

NOW you know what choices to make. Every maker has a holster that carries there, most know to use that ride height and carry angle. Comfort will be quite another matter when stuffed inside a waistband that's already stuffed with large torso (sorry). My personal favourite has always been what's known as the summer special style because it is so narrow, but choose one with a slide guard to keep the grip tang, etc., from digging into you. Yes, Kydex is waterproof and understandably one would consider it over leather which is water absorbent (I use waterproof kangaroo leather linings); yet now that hard pistol has been made larger with a holster that is just as hard as the Glock, for example).

·
Premium Member
4,459 Posts
I have a very full holster drawer. A-Z. (yeah, Alien Gear is the A) A Remora stuffed between the seat and console can work for driving but if you get in an accident you have a gun flying around. Actually I can draw from my standard carry position without much difficulty. Try it and see. Nelson and Red both make excellent leather holsters. I have both of course. Red Nichols are more expensive by a good bit but the quality is extraordinary. Hand boned, sight liners - stuff you would never think of. I don't wear IWB anymore due to various surgeries so mine just sit in my drawer now. Mike1956 made me the most comfortable IWB kydex holster I own. If I could wear anything IWB it would be Mikes for kydex and a tossup between Red and Nelson based upon what you can afford and your timeline.

For a time I had to go pocket carry due to the surgeries but now, thanks to some insights gained in here, I wear a Crossbreed OWB that is a low rider. I know most like a high positioned holster but for me the low rider is perfect to keep it off my scars and new kidney. I have a number of gun belts such as the Better Belt which is wonderfully comfortable but again, post surgery I needed MASSIVE internal support which I get with Bigfoot Belts with the heaviest liner. As I said, before that it was pocket or suspenders.

The belt is every bit as important as the holster.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have looked at the AG 3.0 and I know it is popular and it is inexpensive but then I noticed that it is basically a plastic outer lining instead of leather like most. It is a one size fits all. It does not offer a reduced cut or Combat Cut. I have a Blackhawk Sportster that is basically a Remora pocket holster and have been using it to start looking for position etc. ( I got it to have something to put the gun in until I had a holster). One thing I noticed is that when I grab he gun, I have to give it a little "toss" to bring it up to a firm grip. The grip is off on the initial pull. OK, its a pocket holster I am usning at 4 but that has made me realize the combat grip with a deeper cut allows one to get that good grip to start with.
Any comments?

I know the AG has a lot of offer at a good price but price isn't everything.
(And yes I am looking at belts also. Probably a AG or a Big Foot. Maybe.)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts