Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Want to carry my 642 as a B.U.G. Already have a pocket holster for it but would like to try a ankle holster. I feel drawing from a ankle holster would be a good option when seaed in a car. So those with experance stear me in the right direction. What im looking for are reviews and pics if you have them.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
I use a Bianchi Ranger Triad daily for my 442. I am pretty happy with it. The reason why I chose it is the ability to adjust the padding and the triple strap system. I got it when it was relatively cheap and on sale, price was a factor for me at the time. I believe the price has gone up to over $50, and for a few more dollars you should be able to find a better quality holster.

You should take into consideration the type of pants and footwear as well as the thickness and weight of the holster. My 442 spends approximately 10-12 hours per day on my ankle without a problem. I walk one mile to/from work and often walk a couple of extra miles during work.

I normally wear two socks, one serves as a layer between the holster and my skin and the other one is the match to the sock of the opposite foot, which also covers the holster. I make sure that the outer sock does not cover the snap for obvious reasons.

·
Registered
7,974 Posts
Whichever ankle holster you get, make sure to get the "Calf Straps"..You will NOT regret it. JMO

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
+1 on the calf strap... Look at the Alessi ankle holsters...

·
Registered
41 Posts
The answer to this question is quite simple; Renegade.

They are a small shop out of Arizona, but mighty friendly and their holster is the real deal. First day it felt uncomforatable, I'll just be honest with you. Over the next two days I found where it worked to carry it on my ankle, and after the first week I hardly noticed it (this is with my S&W 442).

I daily carry with the Renegade and have been very impressed with it. Drawing from the holster is very easy and reliable, and comfort is quite good. Of the three most popular ankle holsters, (Alessi, Galco Ankle Glove, and Renegade), it is the cheapest, and in my opinion well worth your money.

My model is the #500 Cozy Partner.

Some more pictures:

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
with over 20 years wearing one i have found that if you go cheap it will not work well. at this time galco and renegade seems to works the best. i am currently wearing the galco.

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
I find the Galco Ankle Glove (open top) to be perfect.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Jholen has it right and thanks for posting the pics. There are dozens of good belt holsters out there, but when it comes to ankle rigs I scream Renegade!

100% RENEGADE, no question about it. Get a Renegade and realize why you don't NEED a calf strap on an ankle holster. You can SPRINT while wearing a Renegade and it will not shift on you. I have tested this dozens of times just to prove it to skeptics. Fine molded holsters are great to look at but for an ankle holster, the Renegade reigns supreme with its low-profile design and pull-through strap.

They don't have a website and I haven't found prices online that are any better than ordering direct, so I'd just hit them up on the phone (seems like using a telegraph doesn't it!?)

Renegade Holsters
3711 East Gelding Drive
Phoenix, AZ 85032-5233
(602) 482-6777

·
Registered
41 Posts
Jholen has it right and thanks for posting the pics. There are dozens of good belt holsters out there, but when it comes to ankle rigs I scream Renegade!

100% RENEGADE, no question about it. Get a Renegade and realize why you don't NEED a calf strap on an ankle holster. You can SPRINT while wearing a Renegade and it will not shift on you. I have tested this dozens of times just to prove it to skeptics. Fine molded holsters are great to look at but for an ankle holster, the Renegade reigns supreme with its low-profile design and pull-through strap.

They don't have a website and I haven't found prices online that are any better than ordering direct, so I'd just hit them up on the phone (seems like using a telegraph doesn't it!?)

Renegade Holsters
3711 East Gelding Drive
Phoenix, AZ 85032-5233
(602) 482-6777
The other thing I've seen with my Renegade is that it will take a mold to your gun over time. I've been wearing it for about a month now, and the leather has already took a nice mold of my 442.

Anyways, yeah, go Renegade. I read a bunch of threads, and actually ordered based on a number of posts, including some from adaman04. :hand10:

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
I am curious about something,do any of you strap something to your other leg to counter-balance the weight of the gun you have strapped to one leg? I notice even with a light weight gun in the ankle holster, I tend to walk a bit strange using an ankle holster. Ideas?

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
I am curious about something,do any of you strap something to your other leg to counter-balance the weight of the gun you have strapped to one leg? I notice even with a light weight gun in the ankle holster, I tend to walk a bit strange using an ankle holster. Ideas?
I don't; I think that you will get used to the weight of the gun the more you carry it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I don't either.

As I said in my post with the pictures, the first two or three days it felt a bit unusual. After the first week, I hardly notice it.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have a renegade for my G26 and LCR.

One thing you can do to increase the comfort of any ankle holster is to get a Neoprene Calf/Shin Support. Neoprene is comfortable cushy rubber material that will create additional padding between your skin and holster.

If you wear boots, you might want to think about a Gould & Goodrich B716 BootLock Ankle Holster.

I have one of these for my G26 and would use it over the Renegade, but I don't have a pair of boots that are comfortable enough for me to wear everday. Their like $70, but works great! You don't even know your wearing a gun on your ankle with it.

I lucked out big time and got mine for $25 shipped and it's brand spanking new. Man I really need to find a good comfortable pair of boots!!!

·
Registered
809 Posts
No, after using it a bit the strange walk wore off for me.

Another note about the Renegade. I had an initial concern about the elastic ankle cuff wearing out over time. Mine is as good as new. I also have some experience with the Alessi ankle rig. At 3x the price maybe I expected to much. I found the holster bulky and it didn't cinch down as well as the elastic of the Renegade.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Massive thumbs up on Renagade Ankle Holster

I bought a Renegade ankle holster about three years ago, there based out of Arizona. They had the holster in stock and shipping was fast. Think I paid $50.00. At the time they were a small mom and pop organization... Not sure how much they have grown since then. I use it anytime that can not carry on my hip. If you ware khaki or dress pants, you can not tell that it is even there.... If I ever needed a ankle holster I would get another.. But the way they are made, I don't I will ever need to buy another one...

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
I have a light gun and had to get used to it. Galco w\ calf strap and Taurus 605 snubbie. Anything else I may have problems. My particlular holster does have a retention thumb break. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Can't beat the Renegade for the money....mine is going on 8 years and show no signs of wearing out anytime soon...it also fits under slim fitting jeans that would make a molded rig print, if it fit at all...

·
Registered
110 Posts
Renegade Cozy Partner #50 for my 642. I wear it every day, and forget I have it on. It took about a week to get used to the "feel", but it is a great holster. Very secure. No strap needed. I have used it over my cycle boots, as well as directly on my ankle, under my jeans or my daily scrubs. Renegade.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Anyone ever try a Bulman they seem on the expensive side at $150+ but what price for safety right? Of course this said I am seriously looking at the Renegade.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts