Defensive Carry banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to this site and found it searching but I need some insight. I have been reading Ranger T. Whats a good off duty round to carry for Off Duty in my 40 cal. I loved the Black talon but finally ran out, Input is appreciated.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Hi Coastie,

The choice (IMP) depends on the barrel length/velocity factor. Are you packing a full size piece, or a compact?

BTW I assume you are , or was in the CG?

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Coastie welcome :smilez:

I am not sure whether Speer does .40 flavors because i do not use that cal but I am a fan of GD's. CorBon too probably would be a very viable choice.

I am not up to speed yet on the EFMJ options but that would seem too to be well worth consideration.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Hi Coastie,
I carry .40 S&W in an HK USP. I have used Gold Dot 165 gr. in the past. Everyone I come in contact with seems to think very highly of them. However, I have recently started to use Double Tap. I started with 180 gr. and now use a newer 200 gr. with a Hornady XTP bullet. These rounds go at 1100 FPS and deliver 538 ft.-lbs. from a 4.5" barrel.

Here's a link: www.doubletapammo.com

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nope we are carrying the Sig 40 in the CG now. This is primarily for off duty as a Deputy Sheriff and ocasional back up weapon. Thanks Its its the Glock 27 (Baby Glock as we call it)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
P95Carry said:
Coastie welcome :smilez:

I am not sure whether Speer does .40 flavors because i do not use that cal but I am a fan of GD's. CorBon too probably would be a very viable choice.

I am not up to speed yet on the EFMJ options but that would seem too to be well worth consideration.

Thanks for your asssitance

·
Registered
262 Posts
Coastie,

My thoughts are higher velocity round with the shorter tubes like the G27. I personaly have had a lot of good experience with Corbon stuff. They are handling the Glaser Safety Slug and the velocity is smookin to say the least!

*40 S&W 115 GR. 1500FPS/575FTLBS 4.0 Barrel*

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
The Ranger T is the evolution from the Black Talon design, and is available to non-LE. If you like the Black Talon and shot it well, then you may want to give this a try. Ammolab evaluations of the Ranger T found it to be very consistent, particularly in the larger calibers.

Speer Gold Dot is widely used by LE, very consistent and a solid performer in everything from 9mm to .45acp.

Double Tap is well worth a look, too.

I would choose a 165gr load.

·
Registered
6,868 Posts
If I had to buy my own .40 S&W ammo for self defense, I'd try Double Tap's loads in almost any bullet weight or 165 grain Winchester Ranger-T.

My agency issues Speer Gold Dot 165 grain JHPs which is supposed to be an excellent load as well.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey thanks, Yeah for duty we carry Gold DOT but Im always open to change especially good change. Thanks for input. Im gonna check out the Double Taps load

·
Registered
129 Posts
+1 on the doubletaps. I use their 165 gr in my HK P2000SK (about the same size as a G27). They've got some serious punch to them and are designed for shorter barrels.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts