Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not unfamiliar with pump shotgun as I trained and carried one for 20 years. But I am not familiar with autos. I am looking for a good all around hunting, birds and such and having around the house. Looking to see what other think. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
209 Posts
For most upland bird hunting, a barrel length of 26 to 28 inches works well. This is bit long for home defense, but will certainly fill the bill.
For semiautomatic hunting shotguns, I use Browning exclusively. Their Gold or Silver models can be picked up for a reasonable price, new or used. My hunting buddy uses Remington. The older 1100, or the Versa-max are both good models.
I would expect short barrels would be available.

I prefer semi autos for home defense as one cannot be assured that both hands will be available to run the action on a pump gun.

Reactions: Shootnlead

·
Premium Member
6,595 Posts
Beretta, Benelli, two popular & very reliable autos. They will also handle all loads. From light loads on up. Some wont. I think the mossberg 930 is one that can be problematic with light loads like skeet rounds.

Remington of course had had the model 1100 forever, and its popular. I dont care for them myself. They also make a versamax, and another one that currently escapes me.

You can get decent quality, and decently priced semi autos that are reliable. What Id really look to is recoil reduction in some models. Like the first two I listed. Those will cost you considerably more than the others.

I wouldnt even consider a Winchester semi auto. They aint what they used to be, and havent been for a long while now.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I couldn't imagine trying wield a 12 ga one-handed. Sure a pump requires two hands, but it's hard to foresee a scenario where a follow up shot, one-handed, from a semi auto would be anywhere close to accurate after trying to compensate for the recoil of a 12 gauge shotgun after firing it with one hand. I personally have a 12 ga Maverick model 88 pump loaded with 00 buck.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I couldn't imagine trying wield a 12 ga one-handed. Sure a pump requires two hands, but it's hard to foresee a scenario where a follow up shot, one-handed, from a semi auto would be anywhere close to accurate after trying to compensate for the recoil of a 12 gauge shotgun after firing it
My home defense is a 20ga, but the OP didn't ask about those.

And it's not like you can't manage recoil from a shouldered shotgun with one hand. I have killed geese with one hand holding a boat and the other shooting the gun.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Which why I referenced a 12 gauge specifically. A 20 gauge or a 4-10 would be much more manageable in the scenario. A 12 gauge though, I would think it would be extremely difficult to even keep your hand on the stock. I've never tried for obvious reasons. Would be extremely unsafe.

·
Registered
423 Posts
My home defense is a 20ga, but the OP didn't ask about those.

And it's not like you can't manage recoil from a shouldered shotgun with one hand. I have killed geese with one hand holding a boat and the other shooting the gun.
Yes, but the scenario stated implies, at least to me, that the shotgun isn't shouldered, which I why it would be wielded with one hand. As long as you're shouldered and your feet are set, then absolutely.

·
Registered
209 Posts
The OP asked about a hunting gun that could be used for home defense. Why would one not shoulder a home defence shotgun? Would one not shoulder a home defense rifle? Each weapon is used as designed. If the OP was shooting from the hip he would have not included hunting in his post. Not get in some contest with someone who has almost as many posts in 30 days than I have in 6 years.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Finding a shotgun that fits the bill of hunting and home defense may be a little difficult. You can use a hunting shotgun for home defense but it wouldn't be the best fit and vice versa. I don't hunt so not sure what the best shotgun for hunting would be. I would choose the Benelli Tactical for home defense. Just my 2cents.

·
Premium Member
2,249 Posts
There are reasons that virtually every law enforcement agency uses pump action shottys. Reliability and versatility are but two. My choice for a home defense shotgun.

Reactions: StormRhydr

·
Registered
606 Posts
There are reasons that virtually every law enforcement agency uses pump action shottys. Reliability and versatility are but two. My choice for a home defense shotgun.
How about price. 870s are cheap.

Reliability is very subjective with a pump. There's room for user error with short stroking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
94 Posts
Benelli makes great shotguns for hunting. I have three of them that have been 100% reliable since day one. With that said.......my home defense shotgun is a Remington 870.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Depending on your price range, you can get a Remington Versa Max for about $1100 or a Stoeger M3000 for about $600. Most semis tend toward the $1000+ range, but the Stoeger is a very highly rated budget 12ga.

I own the Stoeger M3K, which is just the M3000 with some features intended for competition. I've put 165 shells through it (40 slugs, 50 7.5 shot and 75 #8 shot) and only once did the bolt fail to lock back. I fired the slugs rapid fire at a local indoor range and the shot for trap shooting. Neither is really a home defense gun because of the barrel length being 24".

You could go Mossberg 930 tactical, but 930s don't have the greatest rep, at least the JP Pro versions don't.

·
Registered
9,911 Posts
I have alwasy been a fan of the Russian Veper guns and the M1 super 90 ..Very fun guns

But semi can be more senstive with low pressure /odd ball loads and dif manual of arms in some way

That said a M1 can get all 9 rounds in flight before the first shell hits the ground if you do your part ..and dont mind some pain

·
Registered
681 Posts
If you choose a pump go with a Remington 870 or a Benelli Nova or super Nova.

If you chose a semi-auto go with a inertia system, not gas. Gas operated shotguns are an older technology and just can't compare to an inertia system. If for no other reason how long it can take to clean a gas shotgun. Sometimes the gas piston needs to soak for an hour. I can clean my Benelli when it is super diry in less than 15 minutes. Here is part of an article from Lucky Gunner.

Because inertia guns don’t need to hide any gas pistons or external linkages they tend to be thinner and less bulky than gas guns. The reduction of total parts means that they’re typically lighter than gas guns as well. They’re also easier to disassemble and clean, which is nice, but nicer still is the fact that you won’t need to do it as often. Because there are no gas ports to clog and pistons to gunk up, an inertia gun will stay very clean even after hundreds of rounds have been fired. Lubrication is also less vital because of the necessarily loose fit between the bolt carrier and the receiver walls.

With all of these features in mind it’s no surprise that inertia guns have become highly favored by waterfowl hunters needing lightweight reliability in harsh environments and sporting clays shooters that enjoy the quick handling characteristics of a light, evenly-weighted gun.

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
Reliability is very subjective with a pump. There's room for user error with short stroking.
I'd be very interested in your continued explanation in the "subjective" (vs "objective") reliability shortcomings of a pump shotgun in contrast to the alternative autoloading shotgun. :blink:

Reactions: StormRhydr

·
Registered
713 Posts
Depending on your price range, you can get a Remington Versa Max for about $1100 or a Stoeger M3000 for about $600. Most semis tend toward the $1000+ range, but the Stoeger is a very highly rated budget 12ga.

I own the Stoeger M3K, which is just the M3000 with some features intended for competition. I've put 165 shells through it (40 slugs, 50 7.5 shot and 75 #8 shot) and only once did the bolt fail to lock back. I fired the slugs rapid fire at a local indoor range and the shot for trap shooting. Neither is really a home defense gun because of the barrel length being 24".

You could go Mossberg 930 tactical, but 930s don't have the greatest rep, at least the JP Pro versions don't.
I agree with the bold statement above.
I bought a 930 HD Model and it is my absolute biggest regret in firearm purchases. It would never cycle well until I did a piston sleeve job and polished and ported everything I could. A couple hundred more dollars invested in it and lots of man hours later, I have a shotgun that has cycled well the last three times I shot it. Sadly though, I wouldn't bet my life on it as an HD gun, which is the very reason I bought it. But if I sell it now, I will never recoup any of my cost.

I wish MANY times that I had done one of two things:
1) Get the 590A Pump
2) Get an inertia system over the gas and spend the $ on a Benelli/Beretta.

I am not sure what I will do with the 930 yet. For now, it sits in the safe. A darn fine looking gun, but as trustworthy as a politician so far...

·
Registered
270 Posts
I bought a Benelli Nova 12 gauge with a 28" barrel 11 years ago. It's been dropped in sloughs(small pond, nasty mud, lots of cattails for those who don't know the term "slough"), ran over by vehicles in a field, layed in the mud, and more.

It has never failed me once. I've used it duck/goose hunting and on pheasants. It handles 3.5" shells just as easy as 2.75" shells. It's reliable as hell and very accurate. Very ease to break down, no tools required.

I don't think I'd use it for a home defense gun however. It's too long with too many corners to go around in the house. My Glock 23 or AR-15 will be used to deliver dirt naps to any poor soul who enters my home without consent.

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
IMHO, Murphy likes self-shucking shotguns more than pump shotguns. 'Cuz he visits them...more frequently. :biggrin2:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts