Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I'm new to this website and new conceal carrier. I have yet to recieve my license in the mail, But I'm already getting things together. I have former military experience so Im comfortable with firearms needless to say.

Anyways, I'm having a hard time finding a IWB holster for my ATI 1911. Its full size as well.

gggggggggg.jpg

This picture is what I own exactly. I'm hoping someone can steer me in the right direction for the holster I'm looking for. I currently plan on doing appendix carry as well. Thanks guys.

·
Super Moderator
19,011 Posts
Wouldn't any 1911 pattern full size holster work for this? What material you looking for? Leather, kydex, ect?

·
Registered
6,998 Posts
Some of the things that will help our holster guys steer you towards a good fit for you, will be ....

Are you right or left handed?

What type of build do you have? Long legs and short trunk, or long trunk?

Do you see yourself wearing this mostly standing? sitting? driving? or a little of all?

How do you normally dress?

And approx height and weight.

This will help build a picture that others can compare to what they carry. DR

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yep, I'm pretty sure any holster made for a 1911 would work.

I have an IWB holster on order from Milt Sparks. It's the Criterion.

That being said, don't discount OWB carry for concealed. I have a Garrett STX 2.0 on it's way for that very purpose.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Some of the things that will help our holster guys steer you towards a good fit for you, will be ....

Are you right or left handed?

What type of build do you have? Long legs and short trunk, or long trunk?

Do you see yourself wearing this mostly standing? sitting? driving? or a little of all?

How do you normally dress?

And approx height and weight.

This will help build a picture that others can compare to what they carry. DR

Right handed.. build wise i have long legs, long trunk i guess? I see myself carrying everywhere from sitting to driving to standing, Pants and tshirt, 6'0, 200lb

as for material of holster, whatever sits comfortably for appendix

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
I have a couple for my 1911 that I really like and it's a toss up between the two; am 6' x 225Lbs

Galco Royal Guard - This one is my favorite for wearing in the vehicle...very comfy and sits just right down by the
seat belt latch/seat hinge...the cant is 20 degrees which puts the butt snugged up against your lower rib...all day wear is easy. watch Ebay and snag one for less than half of MSRP...they're on their all the time.

Sparks VM-2 - hard to find on auctions under $140 but worth every penny of whatever you end up paying. Lesser cant than the RG, at 15 degrees, and a wider fit to the body ... very comfortable and very stable. Another easy all day wear, even with a 1911. Top Gun Supply usually has them in stock at $146 if you want one right away.

either is a good choice. I have both & picked up the RG for $35 on Ebay.

·
Registered
370 Posts
That is a common gun. Look at Theis, Alien, Stealthgear. Stealthgear tend to be pretty expensive. Alien uses wetsuit rubber, so while it can get hot in the summer, I suspect it doesn't have the squeak of leather. Theis, I own a Theis and I love it, but I haven't tried others. Gonna look at Alien soon.

·
Registered
348 Posts
One of the most comfortable IWB holsters I have every carried with is made by Alien Gear. The model is called the Cloak Tuck (standard model not the2.0 or 3.0). Reason why I like the standard cloak tuck is the backing material. It is made out of neoprene and is super comfortable. I have carried a full size gun all day with it and it never chafed or pinched. I know the gun is there by the weight but that’s about it. Combine that with a lifetime warranty and free replacement shell trade outs for life and I am sold.

·
Registered
270 Posts
If you want to carry appendix get a holster that is specifically designed for AIWB, not just any regular IWB holster. I have a "Stealth" holster from HolsterCo Michigan Kydex Holsters Sheaths Mag Pouches Miholsterco ...dual sweat shield, and with the attachment claw to keep the butt end of the grip tucked into my body. It's a kydex holster, it has minimal extra material on it so it's basically just like not using a holster at all. Imagine an extra 1/16" to 1/8" of body wrapped around your gun and that's it. You can choose between strut and loop attachment, or single clip or whatever you want. Very fast turnaround time. You will probably get your holster 2 weeks or less after ordering it. It also has amazing retention. I can turn my holster upside down and shake it with my fully loaded G23 in it and the gun stays put.

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
Like Rocky said, any holster for a standard 5" 1911 will work. Just stay away from anything for a Sig 1911 Nitron or anything railed and you will be fine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the informative replies! I appreciate it.

From anyone here or coming into this thread, Do any of you carry or have carried a full size 1911 appendix? Few people I know (Never owned a full size 1911) seem to question me when I told them I plan on carrying appendix with a 1911.

Also I'm in hte market for a good belt. I've been a fan boy of 511 products for awhile. Pants, Boots so forth. Have yet to get a belt but I've read its great for CCW. You think its good for a full size 1911?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you want to carry appendix get a holster that is specifically designed for AIWB, not just any regular IWB holster. I have a "Stealth" holster from HolsterCo Michigan Kydex Holsters Sheaths Mag Pouches Miholsterco ...dual sweat shield, and with the attachment claw to keep the butt end of the grip tucked into my body. It's a kydex holster, it has minimal extra material on it so it's basically just like not using a holster at all. Imagine an extra 1/16" to 1/8" of body wrapped around your gun and that's it. You can choose between strut and loop attachment, or single clip or whatever you want. Very fast turnaround time. You will probably get your holster 2 weeks or less after ordering it. It also has amazing retention. I can turn my holster upside down and shake it with my fully loaded G23 in it and the gun stays put.
Thanks I went ahead and talked to HolsterCo and after a good talk I ordered my first AIWB holster from them.

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts
Right handed.. build wise i have long legs, long trunk i guess? I see myself carrying everywhere from sitting to driving to standing, Pants and tshirt, 6'0, 200lb

as for material of holster, whatever sits comfortably for appendix
I'm 6'5" and 205, and I carry full size Sigs in a White Hat Holsters Maxtuck hybrid with a Wilderness Tactical 5 stitch instructors belt 5 days a week. Another favorite of mine is the Galco King Tuck, which for a 1911 should be readily available in many gun shops or Amazon.

·
Super Moderator
19,011 Posts
Thanks for all the informative replies! I appreciate it.

From anyone here or coming into this thread, Do any of you carry or have carried a full size 1911 appendix? Few people I know (Never owned a full size 1911) seem to question me when I told them I plan on carrying appendix with a 1911.

Also I'm in hte market for a good belt. I've been a fan boy of 511 products for awhile. Pants, Boots so forth. Have yet to get a belt but I've read its great for CCW. You think its good for a full size 1911?
It may depend on which belt. I have a nylon light material 5.11 belt that is not heavy enough for carry IMO. As for full size 1911 AIWB , never tried it. The grip is typically the biggest part to conceal.

·
Registered
197 Posts
My two pieces of copper plated zinc. If you're going to carry appendix, use holsters that have offset belt clips and have a pusher on the bottom of the holster to keep your stocks pressed into your trunk. The most common issue I see with appendix carry is people that don't pay attention to the fact that if you carry high, the stocks (grip) will lean away from your trunk. It makes it obvious that you're carrying. If you OC or don't mind sloppy CC, then don't worry.

If you find a holster you LOVE that doesn't have the pusher, just glue some foam down there. Works just fine. Also, unless you're getting full leather holster with a reinforced mouth, stay away from them for AIWB. You don't need to be fiddling around trying to keep your shirt out of the holster while also trying to open the mouth on a reholster. Stick with kydex. That's just my opinion, so do what you think is best.

For what it's worth G-Codes InCog line of AIWB are pretty boss. I almost exclusively carried AIWB for years. I'm older now and comfort is one of my priorities, so I carry OWB mainly. When I do need to deep conceal though, I do it AIWB. I have about 15 AIWB holsters in my drawer and InCogs are my go to.

As for belts, Hanks. I can't recommend them enough. Amish craftsmanship and we all know they make good stuff that lasts. I regularly carry P229 that's 32oz unloaded and 2 extra mags. Call it over 3 lbs OWB with no issues.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I have to types of AIWB Holsters Appalachian Concealment Katana and Custom Carry Concepts Shaggy which work really well with just the wedge that is built in behind the clip/loops. I like the Appalachian Concealment a little better because the ride height is a little lower, but both work well even with a large compact like a P229.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
not my listing, in eBay

and a lot more holsters there

Milt Sparks Versa Max 2 For Springfield Armory 1911 RH Cordovan *Excellent* VM2
$154.99
Buy It Now The item is listed as a Top Rated Plus item

1 - 20 of 22 Posts