Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I'm in a little bit of a pickle I'm hoping someone could help me with. Here's the scoop...I had an AZ permit when I lived there. Dec of last year, I left AZ and moved to MI. Had to get a MI license because I was applying for jobs there. Never went through with the application process because I knew I'd only be living there for a few months. In June, I moved to CO. I never applied for a permit here because I didn't have the $$ to take the class AND pay for the application (they didn't accept my AZ license to waive the course). Now, as many know, I'm moving to Texas where I have to be a resident for 6 months before I can apply then wait another 6 months to even get the permit.

I've been researching non-res options so I can not wait anxiously for a Texas permit. In PA, you must have a current license AND must appear in person for most counties. I can't really afford to fly out to PA to appear in person for a LTCF application.

Are there any non-res permits that Texas accepts that I won't have to appear locally AND don't require a current permit?

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
I'd check out Utah... seems very cost effective and there are Utah approved instructors in Texas... (~$65 to apply, $10 to renew with NO RENEWAL CLASS)

Plus it's widely accepted...

Just my $0.02

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
SP, which county? I called 3 or 4 and they all told me I needed to appear in person.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Pcon, if you go to page 10 of the second link right at the top is the address and phone # for Center County.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Centre County also requires a photocopy of a current CCW if the state has concealed laws. Since Colorado is considered a "shall issue" state, it's required according to Denny Nau's Site (where the receptionist pointed me for info on applying for a non-res permit)

·
Premium Member
3,232 Posts
Utah is probably the most widely accepted, and easiest to get. I'd start there.

Plus....we can use the revenue:yup:

·
Registered
862 Posts
Centre County also requires a photocopy of a current CCW if the state has concealed laws. Since Colorado is considered a "shall issue" state, it's required according to Denny Nau's Site (where the receptionist pointed me for info on applying for a non-res permit)
I would email the Sheriff on this one, he's very quick to respond I don't think this is correct. I live in Illanoy and I don't have a CCW permit from my state and I got an out of state CCW permit from them. I emailed the Sheriff and he said i checkmark YES to the box where it asks if i have a permit from another state since I have my FOID card from Illinois.

I would email him and see what he has to say directly on this one.

·
Premium Member
24,512 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
Can you have your current AZ permit turned in to a non-resident permit? This may be your easiest option, if possible.

·
Super Moderator
50,609 Posts
Get the FL permit (there is not resident or non-resident...just a permit). Your address on the license determines the residency. TX honors a FL non-resident permit, but I'm not sure how much of a grace period TX would give you...call here.

Contact DPS at 1-800-224-5744

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Information for the News Media
Public Information Office
(512) 424-2080

September 15, 1999

Texas, Arizona Establish Concealed Handgun License Reciprocity

Arizonans with concealed handgun licenses issued by their home state now can legally carry concealed handguns in Texas, and vice versa.

Col. Dudley M. Thomas, director of the Texas Department of Public Safety, signed a reciprocity agreement with the State of Arizona through which licensees can legally cross that state line with their concealed handguns.

"This agreement will allow licensed Texans to travel freely in the state of Arizona while enjoying the same or similar privileges their licenses give them at home," Thomas said.

I believe your AZ permit is good enough since they have a written Reciprocity agreement.

I would check with Your local TX CHL Unit.

AZ does not have a "Non Resident" permit per say, same permit resident or not. So if your AZ permit is valid..your good to go.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
I did the FL permit through the mail. I did my training here in CO and sent in the paperwork, like mentioned above it's just a permit. It's also signed by Charles Bronson, how cool is that?? I did it after I did my Colorado permit. We are mandated to have a resident permit for local CO. I wanted it for VA and NV. I lost NV but gained WVA which is more important for me. UT requires a UT certified training course.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Information for the News Media
Public Information Office
(512) 424-2080

September 15, 1999

Texas, Arizona Establish Concealed Handgun License Reciprocity

Arizonans with concealed handgun licenses issued by their home state now can legally carry concealed handguns in Texas, and vice versa.

Col. Dudley M. Thomas, director of the Texas Department of Public Safety, signed a reciprocity agreement with the State of Arizona through which licensees can legally cross that state line with their concealed handguns.

"This agreement will allow licensed Texans to travel freely in the state of Arizona while enjoying the same or similar privileges their licenses give them at home," Thomas said.

I believe your AZ permit is good enough since they have a written Reciprocity agreement.

I would check with Your local TX CHL Unit.

AZ does not have a "Non Resident" permit per say, same permit resident or not. So if your AZ permit is valid..your good to go.
This is a good thought, the only downside is I'm not an Arizona resident anymore. I gave up my residency when I moved to MI back in January. I still have my old AZ license and AZ permit, but I doubt it's legal to use that since I've lived and had DL's from two other states since.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts