Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a good friend who lives in LA, California, who I have finally convinced to get a gun for home defense.

He won't be able to carry, given that he lives in LA, so it will be soley for home defense.

He is older and married with no children in the house.

Because he has no real experience with guns, I thought that a revolver would be the best choice for him, and would appreciate some recommendations from those experiencd with revolvers.

Thanks.

·
Registered
835 Posts
You cannot beat a good shotgun for home defense, especially when considering that he does not even own a gun and has no real experience with any type of gun.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Mossberg 590 12 gauge or a remington 870 "police" 12 gauge are my first choices, handgun wise A smith and wesson 686 4" barrel or if you can show him the ropes suggest a good semi like a smith and wesson sigma/M&P, springfield XD 9/40 or even a glock. But yes, a revolver would be the better choice until he "learns" about handguns only because of their simplicity. ALSO depending on his hand size as well as his wifes hand size they may need different handguns because of that or a medium frame handgun or a compact/sub-compact as to be comfortable for both of them.(Bersa .380 comes to mind in the size department)
Hope this helps
~Steve

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
Comments

A shotgun is a good thing if you have it in your hands when you need it. But for home defense a handgun has some advantages. First, you can wear it while at home so it is instantly available when you need it - a shotgun is probably in a closet on the other end of the house, given Murphy's law. And a handgun is easier to maneuver and retain in the close quarters of a house than a long gun.

If your friend is a gun neophyte, it might help him to take a training course using rented guns, to give him some knowledge and experience actually shooting a gun at a range. Then he could more intelligently pick the gun he wants for home defense.

I personally don't have a shotgun, but have a number of handguns hidden around the house where only the wife and I can find them. I also wear a handgun around the house much of the time. If something happens I can usually arm myself in one to 5 seconds.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I think Smith and Wesson had Home defense in mind, when they released the Model 327 revolver, it features 8 shots of .357 magnum or 38 Special and rail to mount a flashlight or laser sight.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Shotgun is top choice all around defense.

38SP with 4 inch barrel for bed side.

·
Registered
5,327 Posts
Just HD...a shotgun is king. Remington 870 will be my first recommendation, with aMossy 590 behind that. If he is convinced he needs a handgun, I recommend a Glock 19, doesnt get much simpler. Capacity, fight stopping round and point and click operation.

·
Premium Member
3,232 Posts
+ 1 on a shotgun, also on the Ruger GP100 in a 4" .357 mag

·
Premium Member
24,511 Posts
Have to agree with others. First choice for strictly home defense would be a short barrel (18' or what ever is legal in CA) 12 gauge. As for a revolver, I'd go with a Ruger 4" GP-100, another good choice, if he can find one would be a Ruger 4" Service/Security or Speed Six.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the responses. Although I agree that a shotgun is probably the best choice, he does want a handgun, so I would appreciate limiting suggestions to handguns, and, in particular, revolvers.

Thanks much.

·
Super Moderator
50,597 Posts
Stay armed...with a shotgun in the home...stay safe!:yup:

·
Registered
245 Posts
S&W 327, 8 shot cylinder, Rail for light, 4" barrel, High Viz sights, good to go from the box.

·
Registered
10,864 Posts
I'd look at shotguns IMHO.

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Any stainless medium frame or large frame revolver in .357 or .38 should work, it's a classic choice. I'd start there, but you still need to let him try one first. Even the .38 recoil is too much or objectionable to some folks.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
You said handgun so I'll stick to that, besides, I don't think a shotgun is really that good. Pogo nailed it. Everyone jumps on the bandwagon as far as a shotgun for HD but try moving around a house with one versus a handgun!

Anyway, I think I would recommend they get out and shoot with a friend or at a range to learn but then I'd recommend a full size 9mm like an M&P or I'd really look hard at the CZ's or a hi-power in 9mm.

I don't think every newbie has to start with a revolver for some reason. If they is new then learn but guns are EXPENSIVE and you hate to see folks buy something to "start out with" and then in a few months they've learned and are already thinking about moving up.

I like the extra capacity and quick reload of an auto and I don't think it's hard to learn. I think reloading a revolver takes longer to get quick at.

Anyway, the larger framed 4" revolvers with 6 rounds are good too but that all depends on the size of his hands.

I like 9mm for the availability and cost of ammo as well as a .38 +p shot out of a full size service revolver with 4" like the GP100.

Gideon

·
Registered
522 Posts
handgun

For a non-gun person, I would recommend a 38 revolver with a 4" barrel.
Reason: simplicity. Does not have a safety to operate and can be safely stored loaded. If its needed, simply point and pull the trigger, it goes bang. Pull it again and bang.
With modern hollow point loads, it shouldn't over penitrate and endanger his neighbors.
As far a shot capacity, 6 is enough. Forget about the Steven Sagal and Miami Vice shootouts. A non-gun person is not a Rambo who is going to take on 20 BGs. Most likely a single or two person breakin. Besides, if attacked by a large # of BGs, I doubt that you would get off more than 3 shots anyway.
Next, take him to a range and have him shoot some targets until you think he's got the hang of it. Maybe even use of a certified instructor. ("My buddy said...." may not hold up in court)
Next, find out the laws re: use of force.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts