Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my speedloaders for my LCR in the mail tonight and have been playing with them, and I just cant find a reload method that feels comfortable. I have tried keeping the gun in my shooting hand, switching to my non dominant hand, standing on my head and spinning in circles..... I have only had my LCR for 2 weeks. I had a snubbie several years ago but never really got into it, but the lcr is a totally different gun and I wanna do it right, so to speak.

any suggestions?
And be nice, I am fragile....:rolleyes:

·
Registered
11,230 Posts
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oXUwI_d8JlA

There you go

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Check youtube think i saw a couple of videos on it. I carry snubs but only reload from tuff strips, I load two than a space load two. i can drop two at once than again get back into the fight very fast. Rather have four an be in the fight faster. At the range I only reload from strips you will be surprised how fast you can be.

·
Super Moderator
18,887 Posts
Love revolvers but am not speedy with speed loaders. Never have practiced as much I ought to. I can "get it done" without being fumbly but never have worked up the speed I've seen old lawmen exhibit.

·
Premium Member
1,892 Posts
Carry your speed loaders on the same side as your gun. Keep the gun in your firing hand and push the release with your thumb while grabbing the revolver with your off hand just in front of the trigger guard pushing the cylinder out with your index and middle finger. Turn the gun up and hit the ejector with your right hand. Reach down with your strong hand grab your loader and remember gravity is your firend so turn the gun up with the barrel pointing down with your off hand. Place the speed loader in the cylinder and wiggle I like that part while releasing your rounds they should drop right in. Reverse process keeping your finger out of the trigger guard and enjoy. Just how I do it doesn't make it the right way to do it.

·
Registered
7,382 Posts
I was taught to hit the latch while it is still in a shooting grip, push open the cylinder with my off hand inserting my middle and ring finger through the frame and using my index finger to wrap over the Bbl. for control. I then release the gun with my right hand and rotate it until Bbl. is facing up, slap the ejector rod with palm of right hand quickly and let it immediately spring back under spring tension. Rotate gun to Bbl down while reaching for loader with shooting hand. At this point I also verify that all empties are clear, if not I rotate over again, but hit the ejector rod with my off hand thumb. With barrel pointed down I insert reload from speed loader, and release cartridges, throw loader clear and close cylinder with thumb/palm while reacquiring a firing grip with right hand.

Probably easier to watch on youtube than to describe, but I wanted to give it a try in the English Language. :smile:

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
This is my preferred method. How can argue with Clint Smith?

·
Registered
7,382 Posts
It looks like Manolito and my technique differs only in which fingers are used on the off hand to do what. He uses index and middle finger, I use middle and ring finger with my index wrapped over the barrel. I tried it his was and it worked just the same, but do to repetition in the way I do it, his way felt strange to me.

I did leave out something he covered; Yes, carry the loaders on the same side as the pistol if you are using either of our techniques as the revo will be held in the off hand leaving your firing hand to retrieve the speed loader. If I am carrying a revolver at 4:00 I carry speed loaders ~ 1:30-2:00.

·
Registered
7,382 Posts
Here is the Admin. reload option: X number of rounds fired, hit cylinder release insert off hand middle and ring finger but do not flip gun over, tilt gun at ~45* angle with Bbl tilted down, depress ejector rod with off hand thumb easily about half way and release slowly. The fired rounds should remain raised from the cylinder and the unfired rounds will fall back into place, pick out X number of fired rounds and replace with fresh cartridges and close cylinder.

·
Super Moderator
19,936 Posts
Search YouTube to see different methods.

A LOT depends on your type of speedloader. Moon clips - for those guns designed or modified to accept them - are unarguably the fastest to reload. A young friend who shoots Tuesday Night Steel ("wheelgunhunter" on YouTube) said he gets the fresh moon clip about an inch or two away from the cylinder and "just about throws it in and hopes" - but he's practiced it a lot and that's why he's an A class shooter.

But if your gun isn't set up for moon clips, then your technique is dependent on which other type of speedloader you use. The HKS is ubiquitous, but it requires a twist of the knob to release the cartridges, which borders on a fine motor skill. The less popular Safariland speedloader simply requires a push on the center button. The Maxfire 'rubber' speedloaders are inexpensive but they also require more work to get the cartridges released and are nearly as slow as a Speed Strip for reloading.

A key element of the speedloader reload is to "index" your fingers over the nose of the bullets. This seems counter-intuitive; we all want to grab the center knob of the speedloader, but initially just the thumb should be touching the knob. The fingers on the leading edge of the fresh cartridges helps guide the whole package to its destination. Once the bullets make contact with the cylinder, thumb and index finger move back to where they need to be to release the cartridges. Takes longer to describe than to do.

I commend you for thinking ahead about reloading and having an open mind about how to do it. Practicing with dummy ammo is a really good idea, but snap caps lack the feel and nose-heavy weight distribution of real ammo. If you can, make up some dummy ammo with real bullets so you get the right feel for your gun and the ammo you use.

A couple of additional notes. Round-nosed bullets (like FMJ) are the fastest to reload, and flat-nosed wadcutters defy "speed" in speed loading. The rounder the nose of your reload, the faster and easier the reload will be. Re dummy ammo: accept the truth that dummy ammo tends to migrate into carry ammo, and vice-versa. BOTH can be fatal! If you make up dummy loads, or have a friend do it, cross-drill the cases AND paint them a gaudy color to minimize the likelihood of adverse migration.

·
Super Moderator
18,887 Posts
An observation: It's easier to mate any two cartridges in the speedloader with the two chambers found against the ball of one's thumb as the cylinder rests in the left hand than to try to deliberately "stab" all six (or five - or whatever) chambers simultaneously. If two cartridges will line up then the others will also line up. This avoids fumbling and with enough practice (which I need more of) becomes pretty speedy.

·
Super Moderator
18,887 Posts
Hey 40Bob:

That's the way an old lawman buddy taught me. He must have picked it up from someone who had FBI instruction.

It's certain I'm not that fast.

·
Banned
2,268 Posts
Yep. My suggestion is the New York reload. If you are unfamiliar with it, it is simply carrying another revolver so when the first one runs out of ammo you grab the second one. I carry a .357 Ruger LCR and a .22 mag Ruger LCR or sometimes a .380. Most people will never practice enough to be able to do a revolver speed load under life and death stress. Even if you get good with it by doing it at home there is no comparison to what you will feel when death is staring you in the face. Many think they know what it is like but I assure you, until it happens there is no way to know.

Sometimes I even carry a NAA mini .22 mag revolver for my NY Reload. Very small and disappears in the pocket. I also carry spare ammo in a speed strip. Most revolver owners I know use them. The only people I know that use the speed loaders are competition shooters. They are just too big and bulky. Try a speed strip. They are much cheaper and flat. They can be carried in any pocket or a belt pouch that lays flat against your body. Take a look at Tuff Products to see what I mean.

·
Super Moderator
18,887 Posts
Speed strips keep six rounds organized and accessible in a pocket but they are fumbly for me. I'd have more confidence in the speed loaders than the strips for actual use when needed. I only ever carry speed loaders when I do an infrequent gun show after-hours security gig for hobby money. It's those times I wish I'd practice more. Here lately a .45 automatic is carried with spare magazines and the revolver as a back-up.

Mas Stressfire video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=oXUwI_d8JlA

·
Registered
858 Posts
I attended a workshop that was specific to snub gunfighting with Michael deBethencourt, whose specialty is the snub.
You can look him up on Youtube, or watch this video, if the link works!!
Snub Reload Right Hand Shooter - Michael de Bethencourt - SnubTraining.com - YouTube

and a review of different speedloaders:
Speedloaders - Michael deBethencourt - YouTube

I like his method of reloading because of my familiarity with reloading semiauto pistols. Keeping the weapon in the dominant hand has always made sense to me, even before I took his workshop, but his technique helped me to refine my methods.
I actually discovered, during his workshop, that speed strips are my favored method of reloading. I learned that just dropping two or four rounds in the cylinder and getting back in the fight is preferable to dying!

·
Premium Member
5,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
A lot of good info.... I guess i should add some info... I am using HKS 36 loaders. So far i like the idea of keeping the gun in my shooting hand, but my problem is my thuimbs are short and i cant fully reach the cylinder release on the lcr. Also, the lcr cylinder release pushes straight in, it does not slide to release the cylinder and it is a little stiff and needs some breaking in i think. The hogue grips are great but they are a little fat for my tastes so I think some slim wooden grips are in order to increase my reach on the cylinder release. Again, a lot of good info. This is all new for me but I am excited because the LCR is simply an awesome carry gun.

·
Registered
11,230 Posts
I attended a workshop that was specific to snub gunfighting with Michael deBethencourt, whose specialty is the snub.
You can look him up on Youtube, or watch this video, if the link works!!
Snub Reload Right Hand Shooter - Michael de Bethencourt - SnubTraining.com - YouTube

and a review of different speedloaders:
Speedloaders - Michael deBethencourt - YouTube

I like his method of reloading because of my familiarity with reloading semiauto pistols. Keeping the weapon in the dominant hand has always made sense to me, even before I took his workshop, but his technique helped me to refine my methods.
I actually discovered, during his workshop, that speed strips are my favored method of reloading. I learned that just dropping two or four rounds in the cylinder and getting back in the fight is preferable to dying!
Reloading a revolver is a lot more fiddly than reloading a semi auto. For this reason, I prefer Mas' method, since it uses the dominant hand for the reloading process.

Of course, whatever works for you.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Grant Cunningham's website has good info on the "universal reload". It looks like it would work very well.

·
Registered
4,247 Posts
Go to S&W site and watch Jerry. If you really want to be efficent, consider moon clips.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts