Defensive Carry banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to load my P-345 with some 185 Gr. cast semi-wadcutters. First round went almost all the way home, but failed to go all the way in to battery. Now my slide is totally locked up; won't go forward, backward at all with a live round in the chamber.

Any ideas on how to clear this?

·
Registered
830 Posts
can't help you with getting the round out except either pulling really hard, or not really a good idea but...engage the safety and put the barrel end of the gun against something and push just make sure not to push on the sights or the barrel just the slide. I had to do that a few times with my 9mm when i first started reloading. and FYI if you p345 is anything like mine only use 230 round nose in it nothing else reloaded feed well in mine. same with my XD. any factory round ran no problems but only 230 round nose reloads work

good luck

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I went to load my P-345 with some 185 Gr. cast semi-wadcutters. First round went almost all the way home, but failed to go all the way in to battery.
Handloads? Sounds like the bullets need to be seated a bit lower. The shoulder is engaging the rifling. I've had this happen

Now my slide is totally locked up; won't go forward, backward at all with a live round in the chamber.
Hook the rear sight against a table top or something similar, and push down real hard on the grip.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
That sounds odd. Did the round chamber completely? If so, it should have gone into battery; if not, then it shouldn't be that stuck, I wouldn't think... You have, I presume, dropped the magazine already, right? That would relieve tension from the bottom.

Can you tell from looking through the ejection port what shape things are in? That is, is the cartridge lined up with the chamber, is the extractor hooked on the cartridge, that sort of thing...

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Handloads? Sounds like the bullets need to be seated a bit lower. The shoulder is engaging the rifling. I've had this happen
I hadn't even thought of that part. If that's true, you need a reloading guide and a case gauge; you really can't be running rounds that are above max COAL. :wow:

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
From what I can see, the bullet is lined up in the chamber and almost completely in the chamber.

Originally Posted by lee n. field View Post
I thought that could be it, but, the gun is about 1/4" or more out of battery, and the bullets shoulder is about 1/16" above the case mouth.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Chevyguy wrote:
FYI if you p345 is anything like mine only use 230 round nose in it nothing else reloaded feed well in mine. same with my XD. any factory round ran no problems but only 230 round nose reloads work
I fired HST 230 gr. hollow pts. and 185 Gr. Golden Sabres with no problems. That's why I decided to try the semi-wadcutters. Does your 345 digest hollow points?

·
Registered
830 Posts
Chevyguy wrote:

I fired HST 230 gr. hollow pts. and 185 Gr. Golden Sabres with no problems. That's why I decided to try the semi-wadcutters. Does your 345 digest hollow points?
any factory round my p345 runs fine. the only hollow points i've ran through it are golden saber rounds which were/are my carry rounds otherwise its been the 230 fmjs...unless wally world sells .45 hollow points its been sooo long since i've fired factory rounds i think maybe the remmington .45s they sell are hollow points? if so those ran fine. but i think i mostly fired the winchester white box as far as factory rounds. I prefer the heavier bullets in all my guns anyway so i can't really comment on the lighter bullets

one other thing you might want to look into doing is taking out the magazine disconnect safety. If you plan on doing IDPA or probably any other competition with it its pretty much a must..found that out the hard way

·
Registered
241 Posts
When working up handloads, use your (removed) barrel as a gauge. Your bullet may be set too far forward or you may not have applied enough taper crimp to remove the case mouth flare.

To remove the stuck round, you might try holding the slide with your "weak" hand and slapping the grip with your strong hand. All safety recommendations apply.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
When working up handloads, use your (removed) barrel as a gauge. Your bullet may be set too far forward or you may not have applied enough taper crimp to remove the case mouth flare.

To remove the stuck round, you might try holding the slide with your "weak" hand and slapping the grip with your strong hand. All safety recommendations apply.
First of all, thanks to all for your replies!
For a guy that has been reloading as long as I have, I should have known enough to do what Cloudpeak recommended!

I did get it unstuck, and when I checked the round in the disassembled barrel, the round would not go in to the barrel all the way. The bullet was seated too high.

I always use reloading data and a micrometer; problems like these arise when the bullet configuration is different from the data, even though the bullet weight is the same. Data I used was for a slightly different shaped bullet nose.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts