Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
16,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never encountered this before. The new Henry Big Boy I got shoots waaaaay right. So far right that the rear peep I put on needs adjusted to the max left AND the front sight needs drifted to the right. And I'm talking just to get it close at 20yds.

Henry is shut down and I've been waiting a couple hours to start an email conversation with someone in TS. In the meantime I want to arm myself with a little knowledge and I'm not find much info on the netz for the windage being that far off.

Looking down the barrel everything looks good. The tall blade doesn't look canted or anything and seems TDC with the receiver.

·
Registered
33,987 Posts
Question: Did you shoot it with the factory rear sight? And if so, did it shoot straight?

·
Registered
16,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wouldn’t do diddly or squat. It should go back to Henry first.

They're not open according to their operator.
And I'm not going to fiddle with it anyway, I just wanted to know if this was something that could happen. It doesn't seem very common.

·
Registered
16,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Question: Did you shoot it with the factory rear sight? And if so, did it shoot straight?

Nope. I can't shoot Henry sights with my eyes. I put a peep on it like the 45-70 I got last year.
I did leave the brass bead on at first, but I later changed that out to a white line blade. Much clearer for me and tightened my groups. Also verified it was indeed shooting way right.

·
Premium Member
3,953 Posts
Tell us the caliber again

Reactions: PAcanis

·
Premium Member
3,377 Posts
If it shot way to the right with the factory sights, I would say something wrong.
I have heard on the Henry owners forum of sometimes a bad barrel causing a problem similar to yours. Not a common problem.
Henry will 100% take care of it or replace the rifle, no doubt.
Just hard right now to wait for them to reopen. I would not do squat to the rifle, and just be patient.
My .44 is a tack driver. I changed out the factory buckhorn sights with the glow ones they sold on their website for my old eyes.
Still right on the money after the swap.

·
Registered
16,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's a 327 Fed Mag.

No problem at all with my 45-70.

Good to hear it being mentioned on a Henry forum.

I'm having another issue with it, too.
The magazine tube is oversized. Not that I can't load those skinny cartridges in it, but sometimes the round will fly out of the tube when I'm working the lever and roll off the carrier(?) then jam. It's like they used the same receiver and mag tube as a 45Colt. Maybe they did, but I wanted to ask them.

·
Premium Member
3,377 Posts
Just checked the forum.
Henry is waiting for the Governor of New Jersey to allow them to reopen.
So keep your eyes on the news for when NJ is going to reopen.
Henry said that they are chomping at the bit to get back to work.
I have always had great luck and good turn around time with them.
But I would have a bit more patience this time, they are expecting a heck of a backlog after they get back to the factory.
I sure wish they would move their operations down here.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
I still can't figure out why so many of these gun manufacturers stay around in such politically hostile states. There are a number of states which would be more than happy to welcome these manufacturers. NJ, gimme a break...

·
Registered
16,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh man... Jersey? Crap.
I was wondering where they were at. Thanks for the info.

I just emailed the tech support back. We'll see what he says.

Figures I left the shipping box at the dealers...

In the meantime, I put the factory sights back on. It's raining now, but maybe I can get the neighbor to shoot it tomorrow. If his eyes are better than mine, lol.

·
Premium Member
5,795 Posts
Just checked the forum.
Henry is waiting for the Governor of New Jersey to allow them to reopen.
So keep your eyes on the news for when NJ is going to reopen.
Henry said that they are chomping at the bit to get back to work.
I have always had great luck and good turn around time with them.
But I would have a bit more patience this time, they are expecting a heck of a backlog after they get back to the factory.
I sure wish they would move their operations down here.
Why they stay up there is beyond me.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I still can't figure out why so many of these gun manufacturers stay around in such politically hostile states. There are a number of states which would be more than happy to welcome these manufacturers. NJ, gimme a break...
Beretta did not put up with that for long when they were in MD so they moved out of there and went to TN which is much more friendlier towards their business.

·
Premium Member
3,953 Posts
It's a 327 Fed Mag.

No problem at all with my 45-70.

Good to hear it being mentioned on a Henry forum.

I'm having another issue with it, too.
The magazine tube is oversized. Not that I can't load those skinny cartridges in it, but sometimes the round will fly out of the tube when I'm working the lever and roll off the carrier(?) then jam. It's like they used the same receiver and mag tube as a 45Colt. Maybe they did, but I wanted to ask them.
Well, I was hoping it was .38/357, or .44. Was going to suggest a $20.00 laser boresighter, to at least see what the barrel thinks "0" is. Already cked. , & no "cheap .327" tool. As to tube, MAYBE they're using a .38/357 tube, as I believe that rifle is chambered in that also. "Close enough???"

Reactions: PAcanis

·
Registered
16,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I just saw the email I sent Henry is sitting in my Outbox with a bunch of others.
Nice time to be having problems with emails... I can't even send myself a test.

Anyway, Henry is working from home, but I imagine still keeping normal hours. Probably won't hear back from him until Monday now. I had to go to my server's webmail and reply from there.

I'm curious what he says about the finicky feeding, too.
I imagine either way it's going back. Hopefully I don't lose it for very long.

·
Premium Member
4,256 Posts
@PAcanis
Figures I left the shipping box at the dealers...
I'm pretty sure they can supply a shipping box if it needs to go back to them. Remington did that with their 700 trigger recall.

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
1 - 20 of 42 Posts