Defensive Carry banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am active duty army in TN/KY. Me and the girlfriend just moved into a cheap apartment in the nearby town. Being a cheap apartment complex there are some shady characters around. Recently someone has targeted my girlfriend. It started the other day, I had left for work early in the morning around 4am. Around 550am while she was getting ready for work someone was aggressively trying to turn the door knob to get in, and then left. Police came, nothing came of it. The next morning I was off and home. Her car and my jeep both in the driveway. Around 6am a note was found on her car reading "almost got you". This note had recently been placed as there was dew on the car and the not was dry. She left for work and I was home all day. I was called in to work late afternoon that day. The hour between me leaving and her getting home another note was placed on our door saying "I'm watching you". So there's someone trying to get to her it seems, and they will probably try to gain entry again once they see I'm absent again. I already carry a gun at all times and I have her carrying police grade OC spray. I'm not sure what else I can do. Police are going to be no help until she is either attacked or I shoot the guy. Any ideas on something I can do? Moving is not really a viable option at the time. Thank you.

·
Registered
289 Posts
If it was me, I would first make sure all doors and windows are secured good...Get one of those small security cams you can access with your phone so you can see who this scumbag is.. Teach her to shoot and get her a firearm.. Even a 22 is better then nothing.. Any chance of you two altering your schedules so you both leave/come home at the same time? Maybe take a day or two off and park your car elsewhere so they can't tell your're there.. Police are great at solving crimes.. Not much they can do until there is one.. Video evidence might help.. Good luck

·
Registered
686 Posts
teach her to shoot a 12 guage short barreled pump with buckshot. keep it at the ready, a Remington 870 is an inexpensive used shotgun to buy. do the camera thing and also get her carrying concealed ASAP. move as soon as possible. Speak to the building owner and the super and send them a certified letter informing them about the situation and potential litigation should an issue arise, concerning them not keeping better security in place.

·
Registered
400 Posts
You can get inexpensive security cams online. Nothing fancy but they'll work and do the trick. Check ebay/amazon and you'll find them for less than $20. Dash cam versions can be set to be triggered by motion, which will catch any more notes. Having a cam at your door will catch the individual playing with the door knob or anything else. All of this can be handed over to the police immediately, build a case against the nut, and get them arrested. This advice is meant to be taken along with whatever self defense plans you make for your home and girlfriend, not in lieu of them.

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts
To me, written threats would be taken much more serious than someone pulling on the door. With physical evidence, they have something to work with, and may even put an unmarked unit in the area for a while to keep an eye on things. I sure hope you at least filed reports.

Being military, do you have any friends you can have hang around either with her, or at least to watch the door or car?

·
Registered
623 Posts
To me, written threats would be taken much more serious than someone pulling on the door. With physical evidence, they have something to work with, and may even put an unmarked unit in the area for a while to keep an eye on things. I sure hope you at least filed reports.

Being military, do you have any friends you can have hang around either with her, or at least to watch the door or car?
Agreed.
You assume police will be of no help, but those notes make the situation quite different from just having the feeling that "something is up".

Also, if the SHTF and you had to use your weapon, but it was later found out that you knew of a threat but did nothing about it (i.e. report to the police), the lawyers could have a field day with you (at YOUR personal expense). They could say that you avoided police involvement in order to "deal" with the problem on your own terms.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
No need to gear up for readiness to shoot the guy, or even threaten anything that even suggests assault at any level. Just fake your departure and drive a few blocks away, park your car on a side street, and hike back to a stake out spot. When the guy comes back, get a good photo or video of him in the act on your phone, then use your good old US Army basic training hand to hand skills to take him down and cuff him. Then call 911 and have him arrested for stalking at the least, plus whatever other charges can be applied. Press charges and see it through to a conviction. Do it right and insure that you don't end up violating any laws.

there are other options of course, but that might be the most logical thing to do.

I once knew a guy, who's since passed, whom I was told, had 'connections'. He had married an old female friend of mine and most of us knew little about him other than he was a pretty nice guy, although a bit rough around the edges. One morning after recently moving into a new house, his wife was robbed at knife point in the drive way while getting in her car to go to work. A couple of calls were made and within a few hours the perp was standing in front of him apologizing, returning all the stolen property, and asking forgiveness. I don't know what 'forgiveness' was applied but I do know that the entire neighborhood grid became a safe zone after that. lol....true story.

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
1. make a police report immediately if you have not done so. Give them the note as evidence but make a photocopy.
2. keep a journal of the dates/times of any occurrences.
3. make sure you have a good dead bolt lock and all windows are locked.
4. start your own surveillance program using your smart phone. (this guy lives very close)
a. take photos of all of the license plates in your parking lot
b. take photos of all of the people you see around your apartment. (especially men who are alone)
c. make friends with a nosy female neighbor
5. every time there is any other activity...make another police report.
6. notify your landlord in writing in case you have to break your lease.

You may end up confronting this guy and you want it fully documented that you have both been threatened by a stalker.

·
Registered
9,894 Posts
File a report ..Let them get the note for prints etc ..At min this files a base line that you are in danger and you had to use force

Get her a real gun ..Mace wont cut it ..It it made to use and run not stand and fight ..Plus some people have been sprayed so much it does not do much or they are immune to it ..Make sure she can use it and carries it

Get bulding mangment invole if this is such a thing they need to know

Get some decent recording cammers to watch the car and front door

Make sure the door etc are harden to give time

Good luck

·
Registered
423 Posts
+1 to security cam monitoring your door and where she parks, if you can
+1 to short barreled 12 ga loaded with buckshot
+1 to calling the police and filing a report, that way you have a paper trail of attempting to get police involved prior to any potential incident

Very scary stuff. I sincerely hope they catch the guy.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
+1 to security cam monitoring your door and where she parks, if you can
+1 to short barreled 12 ga loaded with buckshot
+1 to calling the police and filing a report, that way you have a paper trail of attempting to get police involved prior to any potential incident

Very scary stuff. I sincerely hope they catch the guy.

A security cam is a great idea....even something as simple as a game camera will work.
A co worker at the job I retired from last year had to repair his car for a 3rd time from someone keying the back of it. He had parked in his own driveway but had to park such that the rear of his car stuck out into the sidewalk. Twice someone keyed the back of his car so he put a camera out and caught the guy. It turned out to be an elderly man walking his dog. When the old man passed the car he keyed all the way across the trunk lid. 3rd time was a 'charm' as they say, and the old man had to pay for the repair of that 3rd keying. Unfortunately there was no proof of the first two times. That brought it to a stop though.

·
Banned
2,094 Posts
Get outta there ASAP. I cannot overemphasize that. Just do it! You must assume the threat is real. If possible have her stay with her parents until you move or something. Meanwhile, arm this girl up and get her to the range. Make sure she knows the rules for employing deadly force. Nothing smaller than 9mm or 38 special imho. Consider a knife as a backup she can carry in a pocket. Teach her edged weapon target points on the human anatomy.. I hope she is street smart enough to readily identify someones BS story used to gain control of her. Forget purse carry, get serious and make sure it is on her person. If its an apartment complex, give a heads up to every female in the place. They will pay attention imo. They might have some insight into the perps ID as well. Check the Megans Law site and review photos of perverts in your area. Print them. God Bless you both, best of luck!

Reactions: Truckinbutch

·
Registered
862 Posts
Since you live in TN, until she gets her carry permit, leave a gun in the car, loaded, where she can get to it. (Car carry is legal in TN). Have a home protection gun for when she is home alone. Have her carry OC Spray or a knife to and from car.

I would not attempt a citizen's arrest on the subject, just ID him somehow and give it to the police.

·
Super Moderator
19,888 Posts
Taking this up to the 10,000-foot level - if someone is out to cause your girlfriend serious bodily harm, they're not going to waste time leaving notes. To my way of thinking, someone is maliciously messing with her mind - or yours. While I'm certainly not discouraging anyone from armed self-defense, I'm concerned that the outpouring of "get a gun" responses here might encourage someone to think that the only response to this unidentified thread is deadly force. There is a host of options that fall between doing nothing and putting a gun in the hand at the sight of a stranger (yes, that's an exaggeration).

Both you and your lady need to up the level of awareness. You don't need to bring it to the level of paranoia, but here's an example: Do either of you leave your apartment and either look at or talk on the phone between the apartment door and your car? If the answer is yes, stop doing that now. Are you aware of what cars belong in your apartment parking lot and which ones don't? Have you acquainted yourselves with any neighbors who you trust enough to share your concerns with? Especially folks who are around when you're not... I'm thinking friendly "busybody" types.

Several of the other suggestions here have a lot of merit - report it to the cops and keep them informed of additional incidents, and keep a written record yourself. Vary your arrival and departure times to the extent you can. Park in different spaces if possible. Switch cars with each other periodically. Surveil the place yourself or have friends help out. But avoid confrontation if you can - you just want the whacko behavior to stop.

Keep us posted!

·
Banned
2,094 Posts
Definitely could be harassment, but I wouldn't assume anything. Steps to counter the worst case scenario would be prudent. It would be awful to underestimate this imho. Don't count on much from police, but I'd file just to document it.

·
Registered
531 Posts
0. Personally, if you have money, get the hell out of there. It's not like it's your (owned) home. If you don't have the money, then...

1. Already been mentioned, but go to the police with the written note. File a written report with them. This is very important. Do it today.

2. If the wife is gun experienced of course get her one. If she doesn't, then it's a judgement call, a novice with a gun in a panic situation can be worse.

WHAT WORKED FOR MY WIFE: I'm retired military. tried to arm wife with pistol. Too scared. But i bought a 20 ga semi-auto shotgun and went to the local base which has a trap shooting range for 20 cents per bird. she got very comfortable, probably because she could easily hold it.

3. Even if you did not have this thing going on, practice emergency drills and go through the motions. Practice with you there, and pretending not. What's the plan?

4. Items like phone and flashlight and guns in the same place every night.

5. I bought the following to replace the peep hole in the door:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HFJH81I/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If the guy is stupid enough to press the outside button, it snaps a picture. If you or your wife click the inside button, it takes a video of who is at the door without them knowing it. It's trivially easy to install into an existing peep hole, and you can take it with you when you move.

Rick

·
Registered
289 Posts
Don't know what happened with the OP, but if he comes back and reads these posts, a lot of good suggestions here... Just got back from Wally World and they have those "as seen on t.v." dash cams for $20. Motion activated. Something to think about.

·
Banned
2,094 Posts
Hopefully he's moving to a new address...

Reactions: jumperj and Ianthin

·
Super Moderator
19,888 Posts
The OP with his house-on-fire problem signed off 11 minutes after posting his "I need help" message, and hasn't been back since. Wasn't even here long enough to read the thoughtful replies.

Closing this pending subsequent activity from the OP.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.