Defensive Carry banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am disabled and have an artificial hip on the left side that is often too sore to carry a normal OWB holster for my Taurus 709 slim. IWB is out of the question. Anyone out there have an idea for a holster I can use without irritating my hip?

·
Registered
6,372 Posts
Normally I am not a fan of the waist-pack but it might work well for you. Also check out the Wilderness Safepacker that may be an ambidextrous option. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
6,726 Posts
For your situation, I would recommend either crossdraw, or a shoulder holster, as has been suggested.

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
I am disabled and have an artificial hip on the left side that is often too sore to carry a normal OWB holster for my Taurus 709 slim. IWB is out of the question. Anyone out there have an idea for a holster I can use without irritating my hip?
The 709 and a few other micros are thin enough that you might try carrying (SOB) small of back at about an 8'oclock position. Actually pocket carry would also be an option with your pistol.

·
Registered
671 Posts
It seems you are wanting to keep your strong side, behind the hip carry mode. A flat back pancake style holster may be worth a try. They are much more comfortable than regular pancake style holsters, but do not pull the gun into the body as tightly. So, you give away a bit in terms of concealment, but gain a lot in terms of comfort. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Smartcarry, Thunderwear, belly bands, ankle carry, shoulder holsters, AIWB, or small-of-back will all get that firearm away from your 9:00 position.

As far as what's best for you? AIWB is probably the best in terms of keeping the pistol in a position and orientation that facilitates effective use if you're threatened - but it is definitely NOT for everyone.

Smartcarry is probably a good alternative, depending on your build.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you for all the suggestions. :hand10:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts