Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have watched several you tube videos and read several reviews. I know the size is almost identical to my SIG P238's. I know the grip size AND the trigger pull is (7 lbs) almost identical to my P238's. I know the weight is very close to my P238's. I know I really like the looks of one specific model of the Kimber 1911 micro .380......

1. What I do not know and can't seem to find out is how hard is it to rack the slide: SPECIFICALLY compared to the S&W Shield EZ in .380 and compared to the SIG P238. This would be a deal breaker for me since I have such little strength left in my hands now.

2. Also very nice to know is how reliable it is when shooting decent quality range ammo. Ex: Fiocchi, Aguila, American Eagle, Blazer brass, etc. -- stuff like that.

3. AND can the mag release button be reversed for us left handed shooters?

4. How does the Kimber Micro compare in accuracy to either the Shield or the P238. Comparing it to the P238 is comparing apples to apples. Comparing it to another brand of mini 1911 will be useless to me. Lots of the you tube videos already do that.

If I do get one, it will be an alternate carry gun for me and no way do I want to spend any money on another gun that is "sometimes" OK, like the Shield EZ's.

I need specific experience with the Kimber Micro and with one of the other two guns mentioned about for comparison purposes. Specific experience can be "my wife" or other person you know well, but "I heard....." stuff won't help me one bit.

If I sound way too picky please bear with me. I've been stung on guns I ordered in the past - guns that seemed to be just what I wanted but turned out to be NOT SO, and I wound up taking a big loss selling or trading them. I'd love to make a good decision this time.

I do not need another gun. I "might" want another gun. Y'all know all about that. If there was one in stock locally I wouldn't need to ask these questions, but I'm not going to order one on line without knowing pretty well what I'm going to get.

·
Premium Member
7,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bump

·
Registered
336 Posts
FWIW, I'd buy a High Point before I'd buy a Kimber.

-------------------------------------------
I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

·
Registered
10,931 Posts
Kimber is based in NY, which has been hit hard by COVID-19. I’d be even more leery of their quality than normal, and if you needed warranty support...good luck.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
My wife had one. I shot it several times too. Never failed us, ran great. Used a lot of Fiocchi 95 gr FMJ, my preferred factory anmo in .380acp. I don’t think the slide was hard to rack. I don’t think you can switch the mag release over. I’d trust it. That one anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
7,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I found the Kimber forum and there are dozens and dozens of complaints about the Micro .380's from 2015, 2016 and some from 2017, but almost none that are recent.

Does anyone know if Kimber finally learned how to make that Micro so it actually works properly?

AND do you still have to shoot Kimbers several hundred rounds to break them in?......not very doable with the current ammo situation. And do you have to run them dripping wet for those several hundred rounds?

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Reactions: ShooterGranny

·
Premium Member
7,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Have you thought of trying to find a used Colt Mustang? Kimber, Sig and others are just copies of the Colt.
No I haven't thought about a colt - I just happened on that one model of the Kimber that caught my eye. It is SO pretty!

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
No I haven't thought about a colt - I just happened on that one model of the Kimber that caught my eye. It is SO pretty!
So take your current pistol, if you like it, and find a good, recommended Cerakote dealer and get it customized the way YOU want. :cool:

·
Premium Member
7,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So take your current pistol, if you like it, and find a good, recommended Cerakote dealer and get it customized the way YOU want. :cool:
Not sure where that comment came from. I LIKE my current pistols. A lot.

And generally speaking I do not like Cerakote. My P238 Scorpion is Ceracoted FDE from the factory and the finish is wearing noticeably in spots. It's OK because it is my everyday carry gun and that's what happens. I bought it because at that time it was the only P238 model with the lightweight frame (not steel frame model) that came with an ambi safety.

I carried my plain black Glock 42 for a long time and shot it a lot. It never showed even one bit of wear, but it is promised to one of my granddaughters after she gets married and settled in "where ever" that will be, and finds a local FFL I can have it shipped to for her.

I did look at that link for the used Colt that you posted the link to, and it is also a very attractive gun, but given the history of problems with the early micro .380's I'm not inclined to buy a used one of any of the brands. But thanks for the thought.

·
Registered
341 Posts
My wife has the Micro .380 in the amethyst finish. Good little gun, no failure thus far, and the slide seems okay as far as difficulty goes.

It works fine, is "pretty," but you really pay a premium for those special edition finish Kimbers.

·
Premium Member
7,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I read on the kimber-talk forum that the only want to find out the manufacture date of a Kimber is to call the company and give them the serial number and if you're lucky they can tell you the year of manufacture. No box labels with that information like SIG has!

So I sent an email to the seller on gunbroker (through the gunbroker system) and asked them to find out the date of manufacture for me. No reply as of yet. Perhaps they are so sure that the bidding will go through the roof when the last few hours come that they don't need to answer pesky questions ?!?!?

So, as of now I'm on hold waiting to hear if these guns were manufactured in 2018 or later, in which case I will be inclined to bid IF they already haven't gone above what I am willing to pay. A lot of 'ifs' there.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I had three. A Raptor version, standard all silver, and standard blued with rosewood grips. I thought they were the prettiest and had the best feel, IN MY HANDS, of all the micro 1911ish pistols i shot. All were very accurate.

Only the Raptor had the ambi safety, but I could get one out on the other two. But none had reversible magazine releases or safeties.

All three needed extra power recoil springs to be reliable. But,I only had FTF in the first two hundred rounds so will say they need to be broken in. But the slide seem to be slow and that has always been a sign of under powered springs in my 1911s. But no expert, just some info a master gunsmith told me and it’s help me. The springs I use are. Wolff 13# ones for the Colt Mustang.

I really like the Kimber Micro 380. Beautiful and accurate. But my pick is the SA 911 in the category.

EDIT TO ADD: someone mentioned the Colt Mustang. I had the newer one and the XSP version. I liked the XSP one with the ambi safety the best. It was lighter and carried in the pocket better for me.

·
Premium Member
7,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I had three. A Raptor version, standard all silver, and standard blued with rosewood grips. I thought they were the prettiest and had the best feel, IN MY HANDS, of all the micro 1911ish pistols i shot. All were very accurate.

Only the Raptor had the ambi safety, but I could get one out on the other two. But none had reversible magazine releases or safeties.

All three needed extra power recoil springs to be reliable. But,I only had FTF in the first two hundred rounds so will say they need to be broken in. But the slide seem to be slow and that has always been a sign of under powered springs in my 1911s. But no expert, just some info a master gunsmith told me and it’s help me. The springs I use are. Wolff 13# ones for the Colt Mustang.

I really like the Kimber Micro 380. Beautiful and accurate. But my pick is the SA 911 in the category.

EDIT TO ADD: someone mentioned the Colt Mustang. I had the newer one and the XSP version. I liked the XSP one with the ambi safety the best. It was lighter and carried in the pocket better for me.
Thanks for all the details! Wouldn't the stronger recoil spring make the slide more difficult to rack for someone like me with so little hand/wrist/arm strength?

Interesting that your preference is the SA 911. One other person said his strong preference was for the Colt Mustang pocketlite. I'd love to shoot the other brands to see what "my" preference would be!

It would be sort of fun to have one of each. OH NOOOOOOO........I didn't say that.

·
Premium Member
1,977 Posts
"It would be sort of fun to have one of each. OH NOOOOOOO........I didn't say that. "
This is how it begins, ShooterGranny.... :whistle:

·
Registered
52 Posts
I found the Kimber forum and there are dozens and dozens of complaints about the Micro .380's from 2015, 2016 and some from 2017, but almost none that are recent.

Does anyone know if Kimber finally learned how to make that Micro so it actually works properly?

AND do you still have to shoot Kimbers several hundred rounds to break them in?......not very doable with the current ammo situation. And do you have to run them dripping wet for those several hundred rounds?
My MIL just got one as a Birthday present and to take her ltc with. I took her to the range. We shot 200 rounds the 1st time and had several issues with it not going into battery and the slide locking back after each shot. After another clean and lube we went back to the range and shot another 200 rounds and it performed much better but still not 100%. She took her ltc class with it and said it didn't malfunction at all. Take what you want from that.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
52 Posts

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I wish for Grannies sake and others someone would invent a device to measure the force it takes to rack a slide. If we can measure trigger break Im sure some smart person could come up with a way to measure a slide being racked.
Maybe it's been done already.

·
Premium Member
7,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have shot all 3 and own a mustang pocketlite. They are basically the same but you can't replace the sights on the cold like on the others.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Yep, I've been looking at those Colts on gunbroker and noticed the sights. Ye Gads - I would be like going back to a revolver before I painted the front sights so I could SEE them. That makes the Colt a NO.

After another clean and lube we went back to the range and shot another 200 rounds and it performed much better but still not 100%. She took her ltc class with it and said it didn't malfunction at all. Take what you want from that.
Assuming you are referring to the Kimber, I've read that it can take close to 500 rounds to break them in. With the ammo situation the way it is, I am NOT wanting to waste up to 500 rounds of my precious, dwindling supply of .380!

SO WE LIVE AND LEARN. And in this case it looks like "we" also saved a few hundred dollars. SO FAR, that is.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts