Defensive Carry banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I wish for Grannies sake and others someone would invent a device to measure the force it takes to rack a slide. If we can measure trigger break Im sure some smart person could come up with a way to measure a slide being racked.
Maybe it's been done already.
Bless your heart - and I don't mean that "the southern way." I know how much force it takes me to rack the slide of my SIG's, and if someone actually measure that amount of force and compare it to the Kimber it would help a lot. I think someone put a thread somewhere on that subject and it seems that there is not a real way of doing that measurement. I also think I've been told that the recoil spring is the same on both the SIG and the Kimber, so that sort of lets me know that the force necessary to rack the slide is going to be very similar between the two guns.

Reactions: Arejay

·
Premium Member
7,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
"It would be sort of fun to have one of each. OH NOOOOOOO........I didn't say that. "
This is how it begins, ShooterGranny.... :whistle:
Been There, Done That - More than once.

I wound up with every size of 9mm Glock except the 17L and that's because I didn't see one for sale. And when the G42 came out "the guys" here badgered me into at least looking at one. As soon as it was in my hand, it was MINE. That was all before my "problems" became so bad that I had to quit shooting 9mm and all except the 42 had to find new homes. POOR ME: I had to buy all new guns in .380, and add a couple .22lr for good measure.

I suppose I could repeat the past and just buy P238's in a wide variety of styles...............Hmmmmmm..............

·
Registered
52 Posts
Yep, I've been looking at those Colts on gunbroker and noticed the sights. Ye Gads - I would be like going back to a revolver before I painted the front sights so I could SEE them. That makes the Colt a NO.

Assuming you are referring to the Kimber, I've read that it can take close to 500 rounds to break them in. With the ammo situation the way it is, I am NOT wanting to waste up to 500 rounds of my precious, dwindling supply of .380!

SO WE LIVE AND LEARN. And in this case it looks like "we" also saved a few hundred dollars. SO FAR, that is.
Yes, it was the kimber micro380. Sorry about that. Should have clarified.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
226 Posts
Thanks for all the details! Wouldn't the stronger recoil spring make the slide more difficult to rack for someone like me with so little hand/wrist/arm strength?

Interesting that your preference is the SA 911. One other person said his strong preference was for the Colt Mustang pocketlite. I'd love to shoot the other brands to see what "my" preference would be!

It would be sort of fun to have one of each. OH NOOOOOOO........I didn't say that.
Yes, the extra power spring made it harder to rack.

the 911 edges out the Pocketlite or XSP because of it’s lighter weight and great night sights. like I have said before, it rivaled my G42 accuracy wise.

·
Registered
6,216 Posts
Granny, I do have experience with the Colt but not the Kimber. I have been told they are very similar. [if that helps]. I just loved my Colt. I wish I had kept it but one of the Girls in my family wanted it more! so now it rides with her! She has small hands but no real impediment, She likes it because even in dressy clothes she can find a place to keep it. Before she had a Bersa, and the Colt is much easier to work the slide. Good Luck. DR

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
I bought one of these Micro .380s just recently and well after they seemed to have the QC under control. I can confirm this one is flawless right out of the box with the mag It came with and 2 extra mags I bought. No problems at all. Id rate the effort to rack the slide as really easy. I can compare it to a Bersa Thunder as also easy enough for beginners. Its about the same size as a Sig P938 as far as the Grip area and maybe just about a 1/2 inch shorter in the slide area. Its as easy to rack as the Sigs. If not maybe a tiny bit lighter. I like the fit in my hand and so do almost anyone thats held it. Seems a good .380 and they are indeed very attractive. I'm a big fan of the all metal 1911 style guns anyway... Ill try and attach a few pictures, one of which is an overlay of a Sig P938 with the Micro .380

·
Premium Member
7,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
@cphilip Thank you so much for your review and the comparison photo. I have pretty much decided that I DO want a new production Kimber Micro. Now it is a matter of getting one ordered and delivered to my FFL! I see you got the stainless Kimber and it is very pretty! "Looks like a Kimber!"

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
It was almost an impulse buy. I saw it on by Birthday while I was in Cableas looking for ammo. I had sort of kept up with the trials and tribulations of Kimber as a company and am not a fan boy by any means. Never really sought one out. This one caught my eye and I handled it. Felt good. Had night sights too. Was not a particularly great price at about $529 iirc. Was more than the Solos and Micro 9's even... but I have two Sig P938's already. No sales prices or anything. Nothing is really that good a deal right now in this small concealed carry category is it? But I liked the feel and looks and I thought I had been reading that they had solved their problems. I took a chance because I liked the looks and feel and currently had nothing in .380 and small things in .380 and 9mm are hard to get right now. It was the only one they had as it turned out. The panic buying is eating them all up. I knew I could pass it along if I didn't want to keep it. I bought it because I knew it was there, it fit my hand and I liked it... and it was my birthday! LOL.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
..... I might add that I probably would not have bought it had they not had an extra mag in the store for a decent price ($23.99 I think the flat ones for $21.99). Getting mags not a days is also difficult. Oddly enough Cableas had a few and in stock and at decent prices. The finger extended ones and the flat carry ones. Both well under $25 so very surprising for Cableas. It helped sell the gun that they did. I might have balked if mags were not readily there. What good is a gun if you can't get mags? Ammo being another issue. .380 is the most difficult to get right now. I found a few boxes from a friend and I recently found three more. I got people looking but Im ok now. But make sure you can get some.

·
Premium Member
7,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
..... I might add that I probably would not have bought it had they not had an extra mag in the store for a decent price ($23.99 I think the flat ones for $21.99).What good is a gun if you can't get mags? Ammo being another issue. .380 is the most difficult to get right now. I found a few boxes from a friend and I recently found three more. I got people looking but Im ok now. But make sure you can get some.
I have been impressed with the fact that the Kimber magazines are SO MUCH lower priced than the SIG P238 magazines, when they are interchangeable - at least that is what I've read several times. I have a few P238 magazines and am hoping they will work in the Kimber - when I get a Kimber, that is. That can save me a bundle buying even more magazines.

As far as .380 ammo: I have enough if I use it judiciously. We went shooting with friends Sunday and I only took two of my .22lr guns. That helps a lot in saving the .380 ammo. Up to several months ago I was happy to sell quantities of .380 ammo to my friends because I could "always get another case........". Then, OOPS, but they do understand that I can not part with my remaining supply.

I do still shoot my carry P238 at least once a month or sometimes twice a month, but now only a couple mags at a time rather than 60+ rounds at a session like I always did before. I still want the Kimber, though, even knowing it will be using some of my stash of .380. Hopefully sometime in the next 12 months, ammo will be available again!

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
I've never shot a Kimber.

But I have admired and held a few at the gun counter. Almost drooled on a couple.

·
Registered
36,074 Posts
My sole experience with Kimber is shooting my son's Kimber 1911, which shot fine. All I know is they have to make up the costs of their extensive full-page advertising somewhere.

Reactions: Wavygravy

·
Registered
176 Posts
I've got two Micro 380s and a Micro 9.
The only downside I see is that their safeties all disengage once or twice a month while holstered.
It makes me leery of carrying them cocked and locked.

·
Premium Member
7,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I've got two Micro 380s and a Micro 9.
The only downside I see is that their safeties all disengage once or twice a month while holstered.
It makes me leery of carrying them cocked and locked.
That is very interesting. My SIG P238 safeties are a challenge to "flick off." and I'm sure there is no way they would disengage on their own. The two brands are supposed to be almost identical............but we all know that you can buy two guns of the same brand, same model and THEY will not be identical either, right?

If/when I do get the Kimber I'll pay close attention to the behavior of the safety. THANKS.

·
Registered
176 Posts
"and it seems that there is not a real way of doing that measurement".

Why not? Seems straight forward to me.

One of several methods----
Cut a couple of small pieces of poster material to protect the slide finish.
Clamp them near and on both sides of the rear of the slide with a C-clamp.
Hook a digital scale to the C-clamp.
Hold the frame with one hand, hold the digital scale with the other.
Pull the scale aft, racking the slide.
Repeat several times and average the readings.

·
Premium Member
7,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #36

·
Registered
18,554 Posts
Granny, in my wife’s quest for her perfect edc, we shot the little Kimber 380 and she loved it.
One of the prerequisites for her was being able to rack the slide, and this would have been one of her choices if she hadn’t opted for the Sig Legion 938 9mm.

Reactions: ShooterGranny

·
Premium Member
7,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Thanks @G-man* I think I have a Kimber Micro .380 on order. Whether there are any to be had or not remains to be seen and it will be at least another week until I find out - maybe longer. As I stated many times before here, I dare not shoot anything larger than .380 anymore.

Reactions: Pete63
21 - 38 of 38 Posts