Defensive Carry banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so here is the deal, I need new grips for my P229 Elite Stainless. I was putting the wood grips on and over tightened the screw and BROKE THEM! aahhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So now I have the Hogue rubber grips (very comfy, but this is my one handgun that is supposed to look sexy) I am looking for good ideas for my wife to buy me for my birthday, or christmas... depending on how much they are!

So far my front running choice is Hogue exotic hardwood "Kingwood Checkered" grips. (SIG Sauer P228, P229 Kingwood Checkered [28611] - $104.95 : Hogue Inc., The Best Value In Handgun Grips, Rifle Stocks and Accessories - Bar None!)

Any other ideas would be very welcome.

Winner gets an all expenses paid day at the range with me if they ever come up to Alaska! (that includes ammo)

·
Registered
120 Posts
While there is much to be said about the cosmetics of particular grips - function, to me, is the more important element. That said - there are Nills grips, the Cadillac of wood grips. There are Hogue Extremes in both Aluminum and G-10 and either can be left smooth or checkered. Both also come in a variety of colors. Sig has their own aluminum grips in both black and natural. There are other manufacturers of fancy wooden grip out there. On the double-stacks I prefer the Sig Aluminum - best fit and feel, for me. I intend to go with a set of Hogue G-10 on my P220 in the near future. G-10 is extremely "grippy" whether smooth or checkered. Good luck in your quest.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

·
Registered
3,310 Posts
Hogue Extreme Aluminum

I have Hogue Extreme Aluminum grips on two of my Sigs, and think they are the best grips I have owned. The material is stronger than any wood or rubber, it adheres well to my hand, and they look good. I like the black checkered variety, but they come in different colors and textures.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
I like the aluminum idea as well.

They are not anything special in terms of a gift, but I removed the "too thick" wood grips from my P229 SAS and put on those pictured below. They are plastic grips with the Sig Sauer logo, checkered by Hogue. I think they go for about $45 or so.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My next purchase is a P226 Elite Dark, it comes with the black aluminum grips - this purchase for the 229 is purely cosmetic. I will check out the Nills grips.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Forget the aluminums...the G10 grips from Hogue are AMAZING. Very thin, very comfortable, and very grippy, but won't catch on your clothes. I am not a photographer, nor do I play one on TV.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts