Defensive Carry banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shooters I am considering buying the Glock 31Gen4 in .357sig for both Home Denfense & range shooting! I have experience in shooting various caliber handguns-45acp,9mm, 40 cal. ,10mm etc.
I need your opinions on (1) recoil
(2) reliability

I don't care about the cost of 357sig ammo! Thank-you for your thoughts!

Semper Fi!

·
Registered
6,783 Posts
I don't exactly have a Glock 31. I have a Gen 4 Glock 22 (a police trade in) which is converted to a Glock 31 or Glock 17 in 30 seconds with a simple barrel change. In fact my "G31" is on my hip as I write this.

Recoil is not bad - even with very hot loads, like these:

https://www.underwoodammo.com/collections/handgun-ammo/products/357-sig-124-grain-xtp-jacketed-hollow-point?variant=18785729282105

I run Federal 125 gr HST's for the most part. If you want a real hot rod, try some of these:

https://www.underwoodammo.com/collections/handgun-ammo/products/357-sig-65-grain-xtreme-defender?variant=18785699397689

Reliability? It's a Glock. Others have reliability problems. Glocks just keep running.

BTW The 31 will convert to a 9mm, or 40 S&W just like the 22 will convert to 9mm or 357 Sig. Two barrels and you're good to go: One gun, three calibers. :image035:

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
I don't exactly have a Glock 31. I have a Gen 4 Glock 22 (a police trade in) which is converted to a Glock 31 or Glock 17 in 30 seconds with a simple barrel change. In fact my "G31" is on my hip as I write this.

https://www.underwoodammo.com/collections/handgun-ammo/products/357-sig-124-grain-xtp-jacketed-hollow-point?variant=18785729282105

I run Federal 125 gr HST's for the most part. If you want a real hot rod, try some of these:

https://www.underwoodammo.com/collections/handgun-ammo/products/357-sig-65-grain-xtreme-defender?variant=18785699397689

Reliability? It's a Glock. Others have reliability problems. Glocks just keep running.

BTW The 31 will convert to a 9mm, or 40 S&W just like the 22 will convert to 9mm or 357 Sig. Two barrels and you're good to go: One gun, three calibers. :image035:
It's a great concept and it works ok but I have tried switching barrels in a P226 and hated it, inside of 7 yards it didn't bother me much but the difference in POA/POI gets ridiculous when you start stretching the distance any.

as for the OP, go for it any new gun is a good thing , use double hearing protection with the .357 Sig (muffs and plugs) because just like the .30 Blackhawk and revolvers in .327 Mag it is very loud

·
Registered
75 Posts
In my opinion, I believe .357sig is the perfect carry caliber. Think about it, if 9mm is adequate, why not add a couple hundred fps and ftlbs of energy to it? My department, has regs on what I can carry off duty, so I go with Speer Gold Dot 125gr JHPs (54234 LE Duty Rounds). These are advertised at 1375fps/525ftlbs. The 29318 Personal Protection are 1350fps/506ftlbs. I carry a Sig P229, because I like having the hammer, decocker, and double action first pull.
I carry a Glock22 (.40) on duty. I can't really give an apples to apples comparison, for a couple of reasons. Obviously there's a bore axis difference between the two pistols, and there's a weight difference; not just because the Sig is metal, but I also run a light on my Sig, where I don't on my departmental issued G22. That being said, in the recoil dept, I believe, despite delivering more muzzle energy, the .357sig has a more manageable recoil. This also could be a result, of the fact, despite being a Rangemaster/instructor for my department, who gets plenty of G22 trigger time, I actually shoot my Sig more, and have been carrying a Sig off duty for twenty years.
Oddly enough, I find myself in the same position as you. I would like to buy a Glock, because it is what carry on duty, and what I teach for familiarization. I have a few thousand rounds of .357sig. I used to shoot 200rnds a week, every weekend, but my preferred local range closed. I know there are experts who say the .40 and .357sig are too high pressure, and wear out guns too fast, but I can tell you, as a department that uses pool weapons for range, our Glock 22s have thousands and thousands of rounds through them. Between annual and quarterly qualifications with over 700 officers, our pistols get shot twice a week, every week. I don't think the wear and tear, is as big an issue as it's made out to be. I think about buying a Glock22, because I definitely shoot my Sig better, and would like to be just as proficient with the Glock. The Glock seems to "recoil more" but like I said, it's not really an apples to apples comparison. I may just do what others have suggested, buy a Glock22, and a .357sig barrel. In the scheme of things, it would be an extra $200± expense, but I would get a direct comparison between .40 and .357sig from the same pistol.
For now, I think there's more felt recoil, from the .40, though.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,427 Posts
357 Sig recoil is similar to 40 - not the same but similar.
357 Sig has more blast, which my incorrectly be perceived as more recoil.
My chrono averages for a Glock 22 with Lone Wolf 357 Sig barrel, factory ammo.
Glock 31:
Speer Gold Dot 125 @ 1,363 fps / 516# KE
Federal HST 125 @ 1,385 fps / 533# KE
Ranger T 125 @ 1,389 fps / 536# KE

·
Registered
6,783 Posts
It's a great concept and it works ok but I have tried switching barrels in a P226 and hated it, inside of 7 yards it didn't bother me much but the difference in POA/POI gets ridiculous when you start stretching the distance any.

as for the OP, go for it any new gun is a good thing , use double hearing protection with the .357 Sig (muffs and plugs) because just like the .30 Blackhawk and revolvers in .327 Mag it is very loud
All Sig fans turn the monitor off for a second!!! :rolleyes:

He's looking at a Glock. I haven't had a chance to see about the G22, but I have a G23 with the same barrels. Changing it to a 9mm holds the same POA/POI out to at least 50 yards. Same for the 357 Sig barrel. Even the 2100 fps Underwood stuff only shoots a tiny bit low - obviously because of the much higher velocity. Besides, this isn't a target gun, and even if it were, Glocks have adjustable rear and front sights available now - IF it were a problem. Mine doesn't need them.

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
All Sig fans turn the monitor off for a second!!! :rolleyes:

He's looking at a Glock. I haven't had a chance to see about the G22, but I have a G23 with the same barrels. Changing it to a 9mm holds the same POA/POI out to at least 50 yards. Same for the 357 Sig barrel. Even the 2100 fps Underwood stuff only shoots a tiny bit low - obviously because of the much higher velocity. Besides, this isn't a target gun, and even if it were, Glocks have adjustable rear and front sights available now - IF it were a problem. Mine doesn't need them.
I would argue against that, be it Glock ,Sig, HK or Colt,,,,but since we are talking Glock a G22 has a 6.9mm rear sight a G32(G17 also) has a 6.4 mm rear sight those sight are regulated for 25 yards POA/POI the G17/32 is regulated witha 124/125 grain bullet the G22 is regulated with the 180 grain bullet , putting a 9/357 barrel in the G22 should lower the POI by 2-2.5" at 25 yards,,, now honestly 2.5" doesnt matter for a CM shot which is combat accurate in anyone's book, but I'm more of a bullseye shooter, I wan't to drive the 3rd button down on a button up shirt through the heart and out through the spine. I may have a different opinion on accuracy than most of todays shooters but as a kid I was told aim small and you will miss small

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
I have a 3rd Generation G31 OD Green. Not a better defensive handgun on the planet. (oh, good Lord calm down, it's JMHO)

·
Registered
6,783 Posts
I would argue against that, be it Glock ,Sig, HK or Colt,,,,but since we are talking Glock a G22 has a 6.9mm rear sight a G32(G17 also) has a 6.4 mm rear sight those sight are regulated for 25 yards POA/POI the G17/32 is regulated witha 124/125 grain bullet the G22 is regulated with the 180 grain bullet , putting a 9/357 barrel in the G22 should lower the POI by 2-2.5" at 25 yards,,, now honestly 2.5" doesnt matter for a CM shot which is combat accurate in anyone's book, but I'm more of a bullseye shooter, I wan't to drive the 3rd button down on a button up shirt through the heart and out through the spine. I may have a different opinion on accuracy than most of todays shooters but as a kid I was told aim small and you will miss small
Considering I’ve been shooting at targets at 25 and 50 yards off-handed for more than 50 years, I’ve instinctively adjusted point of aim until it is second nature. However, I don’t shoot target matches with my Glocks.

At 25 yards, I’m at the edge of the envelope for legal self defense. There might be a situation where I have to shoot further than that, but it isn’t very likely. I assure you I can put rounds anywhere they need to be to stop a threat.

In point of fact, the OP was asking about a G31. It happens to come with the proper sights for the caliber. Anyway, I thought I mentioned adjustable sights. I’m pretty sure I did.

Reactions: hogdaddy

·
Premium Member
33,780 Posts

My Glock 21 becomes a Glock 20 with a simple barrel and mag change. Much cheaper and more practical than buying the entire gun, IMO.

Reactions: OldChap

·
Registered
12,737 Posts
I have a tough time detecting recoil in my 31C. It is very loud, which some people mistake as recoil. I love the caliber, it starts where the 9mm+p+ lets off. It is very fast shooting. Reliability? Its a Glock, it just keeps chugging.

My Glock shoots the same POI/POA whether I use the 9mm, 357 or 40 BBL.

·
Registered
6,783 Posts
I have a tough time detecting recoil in my 31C. It is very loud, which some people mistake as recoil. I love the caliber, it starts where the 9mm+p+ lets off. It is very fast shooting. Reliability? Its a Glock, it just keeps chugging.

My Glock shoots the same POI/POA whether I use the 9mm, 357 or 40 BBL.
I remember when I first started shooting full-house .357 Magnum loads in a S&W Model 19. People then asked me about how "bad that mule kicks." It didn't. It was loud and lit up the night sky, but the recoil was nothing remarkable. The 44 Magnum kicked a little, but in a single action Ruger, it just rolled skyward.

Reactions: Bad Bob

·
Registered
4,427 Posts
Awhile back, I used a calculator as an "objective" way to compare recoil.
357 Sig had more a little more recoil energy than same bullet factory 180 gr. 40 loads; if the 40 loads were "hot" 155/165 might be different.
Glock 22 with the 180 gr. loads is "soft shooting" (subjective) so a little more snap in this case from 357 Sig aint a big deal.
Using comparable factory bullets (HST/Gold Dot) 357 Sig is generating 26% more KE than 40 S&W - seems significant to me.

Glock 22
Speer Gold Dot 180 @ 975 fps / 380# KE - recoil energy 9.4
Federal HST 180 gr. @ 996 fps / 397# KE - recoil energy 9.8 / PF 179
Glock 31
Speer Gold Dot 125 @ 1,363 fps / 516# KE - recoil energy 11.0
Federal HST 125 gr. @ 1,385 fps / 533# KE - recoil energy 11.2 / PF 173

·
Registered
Various
15,546 Posts
If you want a really fast 9mm, get a Glock G20 10mm and replace the barrel with a 9X25 Dillon barrel.

BRAND:UNDERWOOD AMMO

SKU:212

TECHNICAL INFORMATION
Caliber: 9x25mm Dillon
Bullet Weight: 124 Grains
Bullet Style: Nosler Jacketed Hollow Point
Case Type: Brass
Ballistics Information
Muzzle Velocity: 1700 fps
Muzzle Energy: 796 ft lbs

1 - 17 of 17 Posts