Defensive Carry banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I purchased a Ruger sp101 a few weeks ago. Been busy getting holsters sights, grips, but haven't had it out to shoot yet, I've honestly not had time. Last night I was getting ready to drift the front sight pin out to replace the stock sight with a Meprolight when I noticed that the barrel looked like it is misaligned. If you look at the muzzle it looks like the barrel is turned too far clockwise by maybe 1 degree, you really have to be looking for it to catch it. My question is, is this normal, has anyone else had this on a revolver. I took some hard rubber I had and wrapped the barrel and tried to turn it back with some channel locks, I was very careful and didn't force anything, just enough to confirm that the barrel is definitely tight. Like I said it is probably only off by a couple thousandths. Would you return it? Is this normal? Maybe I'm nitpicking. Just looking for advice. Thanks

·
Administrator
143,951 Posts
I've seen that exact problem before on an old Colt military wheelie.
That sure would be a legitimate factory repair issue.
There is nothing you could do at home to rectify that problem.
Somebody at Ruger slightly overtightened the barrel.
If it bothers you (in the least) then I absolutely would send it back to Ruger.
It's a hassle to do that (I know) but, if it is throwing the front sight off to a degree that you're actually noticing it - just by looking - then (were I you) I would think about shipping it back.
You might as well get the revolver that you paid for & that would be one with the front sight correctly aligned.

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
We've seen the very same thing in a gun the Customer bought from us. Brand new wheelie in fact........... Take the gun and have it sent back to Ruger ASAP........... don't fool with it, as they'd think YOU did it........best to be safe, than sorry..

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Made me go check my SP - which is spot-on.

I certainly would want that corrected even tho slight. Off-line is off-line and not meant to be.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, that was my gut feeling too. I probably need to take the Mep back off and put the stock sight back on so they don't try to say I done it, which there is no way I could have by lightly tapping the pin with the gun properly supported, but better safe than sorry. Thanks for the input guys.

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
Try and shoot it and see if it shoots well if so don't worry about it if its off then a trip back to ruger is in order

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Bud. I thought that I need to shoot it first in the beginning but the more I look at it and think about it I just can't live with it.. You can actually see the front sight ever so slightly out of line with the notch and sight channel in the frame. I called Ruger and the owner of the store I purchased it at. He is going to send it back for me on Monday. They said I should have it back it 3 to 4 weeks. Thanks for the input though.:smile:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts