·
Banned
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
371 Posts
I have a Mossberg 500 with all the upgrades
for home defense and use #4 buck loads. Think the 590A1 is a ok choice.
Think pumps are more reliable but like the speed of autos. Also with pumps have heard of people getting in high stress situations and forgetting to pump
when needed. However not sure that getting such a big gun for your family
to use is the best option. A 20 gauge or 410 would be easier for your wife to operate, would have less weight, recoil, and lower over penetration risk but
would still get the job done. Would also consider a taurus judge 410 pistol.
Still a shotgun but no safeties and pumps to worry about under stress.

·
Registered
22,908 Posts
I have a Mossberg 500 with all the upgrades
for home defense and use #4 buck loads. Think the 590A1 is a ok choice.
Think pumps are more reliable but like the speed of autos. Also with pumps have heard of people getting in high stress situations and forgetting to pump
when needed. However not sure that getting such a big gun for your family
to use is the best option. A 20 gauge or 410 would be easier for your wife to operate, would have less weight, recoil, and lower over penetration risk but
would still get the job done. Would also consider a taurus judge 410 pistol.
Still a shotgun but no safeties and pumps to worry about under stress.

I'm not looking to start a war here, but I don't agree much with the last post.

Pumps are more reliable, and you can forget to pump, but autos can and will fail to cycle if not firmly mounted, same as a pistol will. It doesnt happen often with a quality auto, but it does happen often enough for that to be a consideration. IMO, it washes out the "speed" factor.

A 20 or 410 is lighter, built on a lighter gun. But, the power factors are the same. The only difference is the size of load delivered. So, you may be shooting a lighter load, but the size of the gun washes out any recoil advantage of having the lighter load. The only penetration difference with the different guages matters when talking slugs. #4, 7, 6's or 00 are the same no matter the guage. The difference is in the numbers hurled down the tube. If you are worried about penetration issues, slugs are out of the question anyway. With proper training and knowledge, the smallest of people can shoot a 12ga with no problems. I have a 10 year old do so now, it just isnt as hard as people make it out to be. So why limit yourself with poor SD ammo selection?

Also, comparing a Judge to a combat shotgun is apples and oranges.

To answer the question asked, the 590 is a solid choice.

Sorry about the rant... Good Day!:bier:

·
Premium Member
13,765 Posts
The 590 is an excellent choice, the multi position stock is a if family members are of different statues (shorter gun for a shorter person).

More like comparing Apples to grapes

·
Registered
425 Posts
I have a 590A1 with the speedfeed stock. It is a great gun and the recoil is easily handled. My sister and girlfriend have both fired it and commented the recoil wasn't as bad as they thought it would be. They were both very accurate with it and even shot 3 inch magnum loads (although they didn't like them). With regular 2 3/4 loads, especially the federal reduced recoil it is a good option for home defense and easily handled by females.

·
Premium Member
10,046 Posts
I have pictures of my 590A1 here (post #7) along with the reasons why I like it.

The only thing I would add is a mounted Surefire Tac Light and I plan on getting a Hogue Overmolded Stock with a shorter length of pull.

·
Registered
624 Posts
I Loved Mine

It was mechanically very fine and shot very well. I also liked the 9 round capacity. However, I just upgraded to an SPX and love it even more. The only problem with a pump shot gun is that it is difficult to cycle them from a prone position.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I have a Mossberg 590 persuader with the heatshield, bayonet lug, speedfeed stock, and I also mounted a Tac-Star sidesaddle on it. I love it, but as much as I'd like to change the stock to a pistol grip with full stock, I just can't bring myself to do it as it would make the safety next to impossible to activate without taking my hand off the pistol grip.

Basically, it makes the safety as accessible as the safety on an AK, just not very convienent at all.

·
Premium Member
2,939 Posts
My opinion of the 590A1:

I want one.

I ordered one.

After 6 months of not coming in, I took back my deposit and bought another handgun.

I'm a dumbarse. Should have bought the 590. It came in a few weeks after I took my deposit back.

·
Registered
797 Posts
I really like M'berg shotguns in general; I have one dedicated as a slug gun for deer. I also have a 590, the only regret I have is that I did not get the ghost ring sights.

Cheers,

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I'm not looking to start a war here, but I don't agree much with the last post.

Pumps are more reliable, and you can forget to pump, but autos can and will fail to cycle if not firmly mounted, same as a pistol will. It doesnt happen often with a quality auto, but it does happen often enough for that to be a consideration. IMO, it washes out the "speed" factor.

A 20 or 410 is lighter, built on a lighter gun. But, the power factors are the same. The only difference is the size of load delivered. So, you may be shooting a lighter load, but the size of the gun washes out any recoil advantage of having the lighter load. The only penetration difference with the different guages matters when talking slugs. #4, 7, 6's or 00 are the same no matter the guage. The difference is in the numbers hurled down the tube. If you are worried about penetration issues, slugs are out of the question anyway. With proper training and knowledge, the smallest of people can shoot a 12ga with no problems. I have a 10 year old do so now, it just isnt as hard as people make it out to be. So why limit yourself with poor SD ammo selection?

To answer the question asked, the 590 is a solid choice.

Sorry about the rant... Good Day!:bier:
Sixto, I have to agree with everything you've said. I would gladly take a pump in a high stress situation than an auto that isn't cycling. My wife is about 5'3" and 130lbs soaking wet and she can handle a my Mossy 500 12 ga just fine. We have #4 buckshot loaded in ours b/c we live in an apt. I don't want a slug going through 3 units and potentially killing an innocent person.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Dont get me wrong I think a 12ga is a great
gun for home defense like I stated I have a Moss
500 but for some people I think it is worth considering
different options for HD depening on a lot of different factors.
I have let people try out my Moss 500 because they were thinking
of getting one and after shooting it decided it was not for them and
got something else they felt more comfortable with.
For instance if someone is only going to have one firearm around
the house I think it should be something that is small enough to
carry around not a big military 12 ga shotgun

1 - 13 of 13 Posts