Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a new Glock 19 and am wanting to head to the range and put about 150 rounds through it and see how it goes. However, it is currently 4 degrees outside so i dont really want to go outside and clean and lubricate it.

I know it is recommended to clean and lube before its first use, which I did with my Sig P220 and FNP-40.

Is that my only option or could i do something else and then clea properly after the range session?

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
38,158 Posts
All Glocks need very little lube. A tiny dab on the rails is sufficient, a dry lube is even better for the Brrr temps. No grease is called for anywhere. If all you have is oil, put some on a Q-tip and run it down the rails.

Run a clean patch thru the barrel to remove any dust.
Then go shooting!

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
All Glocks need very little lube. A tiny dab on the rails is sufficient, a dry lube is even better for the Brrr temps. No grease is called for anywhere. If all you have is oil, put some on a Q-tip and run it down the rails. Then go shooting!
What he said.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
I agree and then get to the range and shoot that bad boy!! Don't forget the range report. Did you get the RTF model?

NCH

·
Registered
574 Posts
We use Glock 17's in the Academy.....they don't have to be babied...shoot the thing already, you can clean it in the Spring! Make sure the barrell is NOT Obstructed with packing material, that is all.

·
Registered
313 Posts
If you field strip it, it should have some of that factory copper-colored lube already on it. That should be enough for the first outing at least.

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
Just go shoot it...I often shoot new guns without cleaning...I it functions 100% that way, it's ready to go...

·
Banned
13,684 Posts
If you have a brand new Glock, all the lubrication necessary has already been added at the factory. Sounds like a good time to work it in! Personally, I wouldn't touch it with your cleaning supplies until you've shot those 150 rounds and it actually needs cleaning. Breaking in a Glock pretty much means getting it out of the box and shooting it. 4° or 101° makes no matter.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Glocks really don't require oiling even on the rails to function reliably but its always a good idea with a new handgun to break in down (field strip) and inspect it and apply some light oil to the rails and swab out the barrel. Then shoot the crap out of it. I am not sure I am following you about the cold part, just sit at your kitchen table and do it if you don't have a shop, garage or work bench.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Main reason I mentioned the cold was just the ventilation issues with cleaning a firearm. Didnt think it was to safe in my kitchen all closed up.

·
Banned
13,684 Posts
Main reason I mentioned the cold was just the ventilation issues with cleaning a firearm. Didnt think it was to safe in my kitchen all closed up.
Get Gunzilla, and you can do all of your cleaning in the kitchen, just like I do with no worries about ventilation or toxic substances.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
I didn't clean my Glock 27 after I bought it, but I did apply a little Hoppe's Lubrication Oil on the rails before shooting it for the first time. Never had a single issue with it. It's absolutely rock solid.

·
Super Moderator
19,562 Posts
The only thing I would add to all the foregoing is to run a wet patch down the bore of any gun that's new to you, followed by a dry one. You just never know what might be lurking in there!

·
Super Moderator
50,597 Posts
Clean at least every 5,000 rounds...:rolleyes:

Have fun at the range.:bier:

·
Registered
624 Posts
I just bought a new Glock 19 and am wanting to head to the range and put about 150 rounds through it and see how it goes. However, it is currently 4 degrees outside so i dont really want to go outside and clean and lubricate it.

I know it is recommended to clean and lube before its first use, which I did with my Sig P220 and FNP-40.

Is that my only option or could i do something else and then clea properly after the range session?

Thanks for the help
Put a bore snake through it twice and go shoot. By the way, why do you have to go outside to clean a pistol?

·
Registered
208 Posts
You have to lube and clean a Glock???? :image035:

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
Ran a patch through my new G26 and shot the poop outa it when I got it. I haven't even cleaned it since the last range session, maybe after the next one, or two. I ran a clean patch through it afterwards but that's it. Glocks run perfect, right outa the box.

GBK

1 - 20 of 25 Posts