Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you guys give me some makes and models of 1911's that have a 4" barrel, but have the shorter(officer-I think) grip? I am looking to buy a 1911, but didnt really want a 3"barrel. I then found out that Kimber makes a 4" with shorter grip. This is the way I would like to go, I just wanted some input on more manufacturers and models.
Im looking at the STI site right now. thanks guys

·
Registered
53 Posts
I recomend Kimber - I have a SS TLE that I swear by, I have had it for years no FTF no FTE...runs perfect with no issues. Eats everything I feed it.

·
Registered
146 Posts
What you're referring to is called a "CCO" sized gun.

These are the models in current production that I'm aware of. There may be others (particularly custom makers).
- Smith and Wesson 1911ES (I own one. My favorite 1911. Performs flawlessly. S&W quality & customer service)
- Sig has a couple models they label as "Compact" that are CCO-sized guns (I own one. Most accurate out-of-the-box 1911 I've shot. Slide shape differs a little from traditional 1911. Solid Sig quality and customer service).
- Kimber Compact II (I owned a stainless. Worked well for me. Some guys swear by Kimber, others say hit and miss these days. I think they also still make a CDP Compact.)
- STI's Guardian is close to CCO, but a little short in the barrel (I have no experience with STI)

·
Registered
5,327 Posts
I love the Springfield Champion Models, they make a LW Operator that is very nice. Lot of gun for the money, also look at the Rock Island Armory line. also lots of gun for the money.

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
I would have to go with Kimber. I Carry only 5" Kimber custom and tactile. Second choice would be Sig Sauer.

Is 4" really a 1911? There are so many other compact 45's on the market. I just don't know if I could honestly recommend less than a
5" barrel for a true 1911 designed pistol.

As usual, just my opinion.

·
Registered
66 Posts
JD- Both those guns are awesome and you'd probably know better than me, but the retail on each of those has to be in the $1600-1800 range, right?

A Kimber CDP would probably put you closer to $1k.

I don;t know if you like them or not, but you might check out some of the bobtail varieties.

Good luck

·
Administrator
21,348 Posts
JD- Both those guns are awesome and you'd probably know better than me, but the retail on each of those has to be in the $1600-1800 range, right?

A Kimber CDP would probably put you closer to $1k.

I don;t know if you like them or not, but you might check out some of the bobtail varieties.

Good luck
You're close. They run a little less than that, but I hate Kimber and would rather pay more up front. :ziplip:

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
You're close. They run a little less than that, but I hate Kimber and would rather pay more up front. :ziplip:
JD, The word HATE is a pretty strong word. I think you need to consider what you write before you fire off the cuff commentary.

·
Administrator
21,348 Posts
No, I really hate Kimber. :redface:

I'm up front about it, I really really want to love them, but I can't. Rather than de-rail this thread, lets just leave my feelings about Kimber out of it, I'm tired of repeating myself on the matter.

·
Super Moderator
50,603 Posts
A Kimber Compact CDP II meets your requirements...:yup:

·
Registered
241 Posts
The Springfield Champion is 4" but has a full size grip.
RIA makes a compact with a officer's grip but it has a 3 1/2" barrel.

Having a Dan Wesson CBOB, STI Trojan and a Kimber Ultra Carry ll, I'd put Dan Wesson and STI ahead in quality over the Kimber. I've only got 500 rounds through my Kimber and have been happy so far but I have several thousand rounds through the DW and STI.

The D.W. and STI do not have a firing pin safety as the Kimber does it that's important to you.

I believe the D.W. CCO has a conventional guide rod/bushing setup. The STI in the size you're wanting will have a "Recoil Master" dual spring setup.

Both D.W. and STI have good reputations for quality and customer service.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
My recommendation is for a full sized model 1911 and not a Kimber. Go for the Springfield 1911 Loaded with the Novaks. Better weapon IMO, customer service second to none (A big IF you need it) and less expensive. I had a SA Champ that made 5 trips to the factory before it ran and didn't trust it after that. Have also seen WAAAAAY too many of the shorties give their owners problems to either own one or recommend one to someone for SD.

The full size model is just as easy to conceal, longer sight radius, higher ballistics and much less prone to malfunctions.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
A Kimber Compact CDP II meets your requirements...:yup:

I've never had a problem with any of my Kimbers, several thousand rounds through them. I concur with Ret on this one. Great carry gun.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts