Defensive Carry banner

Do you ever carry a handgun with a mounted light?

• Yes

Votes: 8 11.6%
  • No

Votes: 39 56.5%
  • I don’t go out at night, too many Vampires.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I carry a separate flashlight instead.

Votes: 20 29.0%
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m looking for an IWB and an OWB KYDEX holster rig for a Springfield Armory 1911 TRP OPERATOR 10mm (5” bbl) with rail ALSO mounting a Streamlight TLR-1.

My research has turned up some candidates that look good, but their commonality is that they’re all pretty expensive. I need something with decent retention but still easy to draw.

It doesn’t have to have a LEO style or level of retention such as a finger or thumb release but that’s not a reason to exclude either. It should hold the gun close to the body for a cover garment and that specifically will exclude all drop leg rigs.

I already have a couple of rigs for the TRP but without the light mounted. One of those, a hybrid Kydex/leather rig from Bullseye Holsters is so comfortable that I literally wore it all day and then fell asleep while wearing it in my “Dad’s Recliner” in the man-cave! But they don’t make one of those that includes the mounted light.

I’ll post some dealer links next for rigs that I’m exploring in case any of y’all have any experience with them.

Reactions: NavCop

·
Premium Member
6,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The problem with some of these rigs is that while they begin at a significant price point, there’s add-on fees that take it to an even higher level. Add $15 for a lifetime warranty. Add $20 for a camouflage design pattern. Add another $30+ for “Rush Delivery.” This causes it to jump to the head of the creation line.

·
Premium Member
6,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ANOTHER problem is that frequently these types of rigs aren’t made for firearms with an exposed hammer or that are SAO. I also don’t want a hammer block strap with a thumb break or anything else LIKE that.

·
Registered
10,855 Posts
I don't carry a pistol with a weapon mounted light, but I will admit to being a flashlight junkie. I find I use the flashlight frequently, around the house, in my shop, and while out hunting, etc. I really don't want to have to pull my weapon out to point a flashlight (and a firearm) at something that doesn't need a firearm pointed at it (including people).

And as many folks have expressed long before me, there are other issues with using a weapons mounted light that you might want to consider. As my first firearms instructed pointed out, a light is a "bullet magnet." There's probably a good chance that a bad guy is going to shoot towards a light. There's a case to be made for holding a light out and away from your body, rather than directly in front of your face.

Of course, all of my defensive long guns have weapons lights mounted on them, but that's a whole different story.

·
Registered
14,422 Posts
I do not prefer WML's for most uses. They are great to have available for special circumstances and I have trained with them. I still prefer a hand held light for most activities. They are great on a carbine for going after 4 legged threats in the dark.

Like G26 I am a flashlight junkie.

·
Registered
146 Posts
carry is for self defense or hunting. lights and sights are for target shooting or "long range" providing little help in a up close self defense situation. Point shooting stops the threat. No need for scoring beyond is the threat stopped, yes or no?

·
Registered
42,137 Posts
I have one for my Glock 30 as the bedroom gun. I took it off one day to go to the range and never put it back on. A flashlight just seems so much more useful.

·
Registered
20,259 Posts
I’m also in the hand held crowd. I carry a small flashlight in my pocket daily. I feel that a small torch is a useful item that has practical purposes for daily life beyond just using for shooting in low light.

·
Premium Member
4,789 Posts
Hand held light is more versatile when you need it and not in the way when you don't.

·
Registered
9,618 Posts
I keep a tlr-1 on my G19 that is my home defense gun. My G30 that is my edc does not get a light. This is partly because of holster selection to be honest. I think a handheld light is superior to a WML outside the home most of the time for my needs, but if my same holster was available with with the option of fitting a TLR-7, I probably would, simply because there is no downside to it and it would change nothing about how I carry, but would give me an additional option.

Reactions: Wild Onion

·
Premium Member
5,118 Posts
My primary home defense (Taurus PT-92) bedside gun has a WML, but my EDC doesn't. I can't really think of any circumstances I'd find myself in when I'm out where I'd need one.

Reactions: Wild Onion

·
Registered
538 Posts
For home defense, my nightstand gun is my M&P 9 2.0 Compact and a handheld flashlight. They are right next to each other, plus a spare magazine. I'll get the shotgun if I have time.
Out and about, my gun will not have a light on it. Even though at night I carry a light with me, 99% of the time there is enough ambient light at defensive distances to see your target clearly. No time to be fiddling with a handheld light if you don't need to.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts