Defensive Carry banner

Do you ever carry a handgun with a mounted light?

• Yes

Votes: 10 13.9%
  • No

Votes: 39 54.2%
  • I don’t go out at night, too many Vampires.

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • I carry a separate flashlight instead.

Votes: 21 29.2%
21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I wonder if anyone can help the fellow with a holster choice.

I can't seem to find a reason for having a weapon-mounted light for my personal use. I carry a Streamlight Microstream clipped to my left pocket for everyday use.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Hand-held crowd, here.
WMLs are ok for home defense but, out in the world, not so much. Whenever you should aim your light at something, you are also aiming a deadly weapon whether or not deadly force is warranted. That can quickly escalate a situation legally and otherwise.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I have carried a gun with a WML for about three years now. It really isn't that bad if you choose an appropriate light. On my Glock 19 I use a Streamlight TLR-7 and I barely notice it, but a larger light like a TLR-1 or X-300 would be problematic. However, I always carry a handheld light since I don't want the light on my gun to be the only light I have on me.

·
Premium Member
6,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Hand-held crowd, here.
WMLs are ok for home defense but, out in the world, not so much. Whenever you should aim your light at something, you are also aiming a deadly weapon whether or not deadly force is warranted. That can quickly escalate a situation legally and otherwise.
You make a good point. All y’all make a good point. I’m also a bit of a flashlight junkie. Mostly Streamlight but I have others too. I’m beginning to really enjoy the OLIGHT brand, now.

Let’s hear it for Matt Helm! I read his books when I was a kid in Junior High and they truly shaped my view of life and the world. My dad gave me his after he read them. I also read Nick Carter a lot.

Reactions: ugh762x39

·
Registered
20,331 Posts
I'm another flashlight junkie! I carry one in my pocket every day, every where!
My flashlight has 100 times more daily uses than my gun! DR
Mine does also...in particular at the office.

We have this bathroom that has the lights on a motion sensor timer.
Every time I go to do my business, the light goes off when I’m on the “ John”.
It would be a tricky situation in the dark, but I just break out the Fenix E12, sit it on too of the dispenser, and it’s all good!

·
Registered
1,369 Posts

It would be a tricky situation in the dark, but I just break out the Fenix E12, sit it on too of the dispenser, and it’s all good!
Great!!
Between Sister’s Canine Anus’ and your visual imagery, I’ll never get to sleep again!🥺💩

·
Registered
367 Posts
I’m looking for an IWB and an OWB KYDEX holster rig for a Springfield Armory 1911 TRP OPERATOR 10mm (5” bbl) with rail ALSO mounting a Streamlight TLR-1.

My research has turned up some candidates that look good, but their commonality is that they’re all pretty expensive. I need something with decent retention but still easy to draw.

It doesn’t have to have a LEO style or level of retention such as a finger or thumb release but that’s not a reason to exclude either. It should hold the gun close to the body for a cover garment and that specifically will exclude all drop leg rigs.

I already have a couple of rigs for the TRP but without the light mounted. One of those, a hybrid Kydex/leather rig from Bullseye Holsters is so comfortable that I literally wore it all day and then fell asleep while wearing it in my “Dad’s Recliner” in the man-cave! But they don’t make one of those that includes the mounted light.

I’ll post some dealer links next for rigs that I’m exploring in case any of y’all have any experience with them. View attachment 354316
Try Gunfighters Inc. I have an OWB Kydex for my M&P 40 w/WML. Works great for me

·
Registered
310 Posts
I am sure there are better options available now, but when I was on out dept's SWAT team (in the mid 90's) we used the "Safariland, ALS" level 2 IWB holsters for our 1911's w/lights. They worked very well for our needs and I liked them quite a bit. They were sturdy, quick, and good retention.

·
Premium Member
6,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I am sure there are better options available now, but when I was on out dept's SWAT team (in the mid 90's) we used the "Safariland, ALS" level 2 IWB holsters for our 1911's w/lights. They worked very well for our needs and I liked them quite a bit. They were sturdy, quick, and good retention.
I seem to remember those. But weren’t they drop leg tactical rigs? Anyway, thanks for you input.

·
Registered
798 Posts
no.......

i do like a weapon light.....but never kept it attached to the handgun at all times.
I prefer my holsters to be a bit slim and less bulky...and not extended/enlarged for the light.

The light went into a nice leather snap pouch on the belt....hardly took up much room. Used the weapon light far more often as a stand alone flashlight.....far more often. Came in real handy as they are powerful little lights.

on the few times i needed it attached to the handgun, it was a simple and quick procedure to snap it into place. This was often at times when i was by myself and needed a 3rd hand opening doors, moving items, etc....

it was just as quick to unsnap the light from the gun and to put it back in the belt pouch.

·
Registered
310 Posts
As I recall, they were available in both IWB and owb versions. either way, they are good holsters and worth consideration.

·
Premium Member
7,049 Posts

Got one of them deals at work. I'd like to slap the building engineers.

·
Premium Member
6,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
As I recall, they were available in both IWB and owb versions. either way, they are good holsters and worth consideration.
Thanks, I’ll check them out.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I carry a pocket light (surefire e1b)every day. I use it on a regular basis. It kinda freaks people out if it's attached to a weapon :). Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: ExSoldier

·
Premium Member
6,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
I carry a pocket light (surefire e1b)every day. I use it on a regular basis. It kinda freaks people out if it's attached to a weapon :). Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: viney266

·
Premium Member
6,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Reactions: demanic

·
Premium Member
6,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·

·
Registered
190 Posts

I carry a WML "TLR1" daily, I also carry a hand held. It doesn't weigh me down or cause any other inconvenience. What is does is give me options. To those that are saying "pulling out my pistol so I can use my WML to find my keys" is some FUDD nonsense. It's right in line with the anti's screaming blood in the streets. The 4 rules still apply even when you have a WML on your pistol. WML's should not be used for searching. They are used for target identification.
Arron can explain it much better than I can. If you wish to educate yourself, he has several videos on the subject.

One last question for those firmly against WML's are you as good shooting with one hand, while holding a light pointed at your target. As your are with a two handed grip on your pistol with the WML illuminating your target?

If carrying a WML doesn't fit your lifestyle, cool don't carry one.

Pavelow

21 - 40 of 50 Posts