Defensive Carry banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to find a comfortable way to carry my 9mm Shield. I know the saying of comforting not comfortable but, at the end of the day, I am downright sore.My body type is such that for iwb the gun either digs into my hip or ribs or both. I have a Desantis stow and go as I can adjust the cant and hight with this. From 4 to 2 oclock carry I am in pain. I can carry this gun with the shorter mag in pocket in some of my pants, as I do my .380 Bodyguard, but it does not fit in all of my pants pockets with any realistic way of drawing it in a pressure situation. Ankel is not an option as I live in the south and wear shorts much of the time and also a shoulder holster is not a realistic option either. I feel I have already answered my own question but I was hoping to get some ideas that I may have not thought of. Also, owb carry is an option and I may just have to consider that with the correct shirt. Anyway, any help would certianly be appreciated.
Be safe, Frank.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Man, that bites. Sorry.

1 - everyone is going to ask if you have a good gun belt. They ask for good reason. Buy one. At worst you are going to have a slightly overpriced awesome belt.

I don't have much advice for you with respect to your Shield IWB. I have a few single stack 9's that I carry that way - with a single clip holster. All those holsters move enough to find a sweet spot. If your's isn't migrating to a sweet spot with all your adjustments - it might not be the way you're going to carry - which is too bad.

I have a little Glock 42 in .380. It's really light and thin. I carry it IWB as well and I got to tell you, it's way more comfortable than any 9 I have. I positive it's the weight. That weight for me, makes a world of difference. If you are set carrying IWB, give it a shot. Of the guns I've owned, that little .380 and my Beretta Nano in 9 (sold - mine was a Piece oh junk) carried the best IWB.

Good luck

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Either a Sparks VM2 or Alien Gear Cloak Tuck 3.0.
I have both & like both, but at the end of the day I sometimes don't notice the Cloak Tuck at all.

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
I OWB carry a Sig P229R at 3 O'clock under a Heavy weight T shirt and hardly know it's there. A GOOD gun belt and a QUALITY holster can make or break your carry comfort.

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
Not a big fan of those holsters.
A good gun belt and a good holster will make a huge difference.
Also try the holster in different locations.
Maybe something like the N82 which gives more body protection.

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
You don't say if you have adjusted your clothing size to accommodate IWB carry, or what your body type is. Most people find they need to do some trial and error to find the best method for their needs. You might try a holster with a sweat shield. They tend to spread the pressure over a larger area. Many people find that an OWB holster can be nearly as concealable and more comfortable than IWB carry. Lastly, you might try AIWB carry.

Persevere!

Reactions: helderberg

·
Super Moderator
24,658 Posts
Not to be nosey, but helpful, what is your weight, height, and gender? That can make a difference.

A good pocket holster can work unless the clothes are tight. Look at cargo shorts?

I carry OWB exclusively, other than the rare pocket carry of an LCR. Having said that, I am an older fella with limited fashion sense. :rofl:

·
Banned
2,879 Posts
You might want to try a Blade Tech Eclipse OWB at about 2:00-2:30. You just need a cover garment like a shirt or jacket, probably similar to what you're doing now already. Just without the gun stuck in between your belt and your unmentionables. I use this holster with just about every gun I carry, from a G27 to a 1911 to a Shield, and I hardly know that I've got it on. It rides pretty high, so your gun won't protrude below your cover garment. I still use a Blade Tech IWB, but I go OWB with a cover garment whenever I can for comfort.

bladetech_shield.jpeg

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you all for the information. I am 5'8", 208, 68 years, short legged long waist, barrel chest is how I have been described. Do not dress for fashion just have different brands of jeans that have different pocket geomerety. Some wide and shaollow and some narrow and deep. I will reread the posts and try some of the ideas that I have not already tried. Outside the waist carry might be my only alternitive other than lossing 20 lbs and I have been doing that fo as long as I can remember.
Thanks again, Frank.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same issue when I first started carrying iwb. First thing I figured out was to start getting my pants a size larger than I normally wore. I've went thru several different holsters including a stow and go. What I've found most comfortable for me is the larger double strap or clip iwb holsters with full shield between pistol and body. I've not tried the hybrid holsters of this type yet but I've been looking at crossbreed for a kimber micro 9 I just got. I carry all day everyday and everything from a full size 1911 down to the kimber without any discomfort. Add a good stiff belt to keep everything from sagging and it's good to go.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Buy anther holster or 6. It took me several before I found what works best for me. Like Drift said a good belt is also a major factor.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Sounds like you should try OWB. I occasionally carry my 1911 Commander in a Fobus OWB kydex under a Hawaiian shirt, and it works fine. The one issue is for some reason they use metal fittings that dig into my spare tire, but I put some wax on them and now perfectly comfortable. Here's a link to a Shield holster (I'm not affiliated with seller).

There are also tons of OWB leather holsters for that gun, but they'll carry a bit closer to your body and dig into your side a bit more. They also tend to be more expensive.

·
Registered
6,374 Posts
My Shield usually rides in a DeSantis Mini-Scabbard. It is by far the most comfortable holster I own for the Shield. Good luck!

Reactions: helderberg
1 - 14 of 14 Posts