Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my wife a Ruger LCP a few months back, and now she is wanting something a little bigger. I know several will recommend the G26, which I think is a great gun, but I am leaning towards the M&P compact 9mm for her. I am a 1911 man but I might carry the little 9mm once in a while myself and thought with the changeable grips the compact M&P might fit us both better. I was just wanting to know what you guys thought about the baby M&P 9mm, is it a good, reliable pistol. Any advice or help is appreciated.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
yes it is a good reliable pistol.

My dad has both the G26 and the M&P9. He likes to shoot the M&P better. Probably cause on the glock he spent more money on aftermarket crap he didn't need then he did on the gun to begin with...If you want gadgets and gizmos for YOUR gun then get the glock since you can get do dads like trigger safety lock, back plates, recoil spring laser, chrome this and that, 33 round magazines, etc.

The M&P will have no such aftermarket; other then laser grips and night sights there isn't much else you would need. FYI The full size M&P9 mags will fit in the C model.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Yes

I bought my wife a Ruger LCP a few months back, and now she is wanting something a little bigger. I know several will recommend the G26, which I think is a great gun, but I am leaning towards the M&P compact 9mm for her. I am a 1911 man but I might carry the little 9mm once in a while myself and thought with the changeable grips the compact M&P might fit us both better. I was just wanting to know what you guys thought about the baby M&P 9mm, is it a good, reliable pistol. Any advice or help is appreciated.
Thanks
Didn't mean to hit quote but anyhow......The M&P line is top shelf. S&W put it's heart and soul into them and did a great job.
There is a 4th Generation Glock which will be available in Mid 2010. It will probably be the new hot thing. Improved ergonomics etc.
I personally am rather fond of the Kahr line up for CCH. Slim, Lightweight, reliable and a smooth DA Trigger.
Take her to a big Gun Show or Nicely stocked Dealer and let her "try them on". After she sleeps on it then she can tell you what she wants. All you have to do is validate the choice.:santaclaus:

·
Registered
398 Posts
I had both the M&P9c and the full size 9mm. I am probably one of the few that had problems with both guns. I really liked the M&P's but after 2 trips each back to S&W they just couldnt seem to make them 100% reliable. They were very comfortable and accurate to shoot and were great range guns but I couldnt trust them for EDC, I eventually sold both. If you dont like the G26 you might want to take a look at the Springfield Armory XD9c. Its a bit heavier than the Glock or M&P but is very reliable. Just a added note, both my M&P's were purchased after the Model had been out for about a year, its possible they didnt have all the kinks worked out of them at that point. A friend just bought an M&P40c and its been flawless.

·
Registered
941 Posts
I bought a used M&P 9c and it's been perfect. My girlfriend (120lb's) shoots it just fine as well. Interchangeable grips are awesome! I carry a 17rd mag for back up and the 12 rd inserted. I love mine.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have the M&P9c and I love the the way it shoots, feels in my hand and how easily concealable it is. I've shot 700+ rounds through it and no malfunctions. Obviously, I trust this gun with my life.

See if you can find a range that rents guns where both of you can shoot it and try out the different grips it has.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I have an M&P 40c and 9mm Pro. Both are excellent firearms, and I haven't had a single problem with either one. I highly recommend the S&W M&P line.

-Seawolf

·
Registered
176 Posts
I have two M&P's and love them both. My EDC is the M&P 9C with crimson trace lasergrips, and my nightstand gun (next to my Remington 870) is the M&P full size 45 with a TLR2 attached to the rail. Both have over a thousand rounds through them and I haven't had not one issue at all with either.

EDC

Nightstand

·
Registered
308 Posts
I bought my M&P9c almost a year ago.

I am completly satisfied with it.

Over two thousand rounds and NO problems.

I carry it everyday, probably 18 hours a day.

I find it to be very accurate and very controlable.

Good Gun!

·
Premium Member
3,579 Posts
I would look at an M&P, XD sc, or Sig P250 sc for that dollar amount. Don't go with the new Glock. They will just have the same features the other guns already have (Glock is behind the times).

If I were to go Glock it would be a 3rd gen, no reason to be a g-pig, as you know they are reliable.

·
Registered
888 Posts
as the owner of five M&P's, I will go out on a limb here and say that Smith & Wesson created a World-class polymer handgun this time. I have thousands of rounds fired in all but my M&P357, and I can only attribute that to ammo availability. I have not had any issues amongst the five and only one of the M&P9 Pro Series was sent back to S&W to adjust the slide release lever's tension... I got it back in one week with two extra mags for my inconvenience and no cost to myself.

My M&P stable:

M&P40 FS
M&P357 FS
M&P9c
M&P9 Pro Series (x2)

M&P = Love

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Glock is Good don’t take this the wrong way but…..

I will tell you that the M&P is better for a lot of reasons. First a lot of different safety options if your into safeties or not alot that is up to you.

Ambidextrous slide release(If your Left handed this can make or break a purchase), easy take down, very well balanced, light weight, slim, no sharp edges, accurate right out of the box, the grip and over all feel fit exactly as your hand is made.

Three different back-straps to fit you hand exactly. Low bore axis= better accuracy which= lead on target where it is supposed to be.

I have a M&P40 over 1000 rounds, no failures. 15+1 rounds, easily concealable. (It is not to be mistaken for the Sigma Series from S&W which many complained about).

Police Departments are switching over to them, and a lot of people are call them "Glock Like" (In my opinion i think the M&P is EQUAL if not better then a Glock that’s why i bought it)

Oh and the best part "Yeah It's American Made"

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
I started with an M&P .40 full-size. Which is an easy-to-shoot gun, reliable, and accurate.

But I shot a 9mm compact, and I was just amazed. It's the easiest gun in the world to shoot. I love it and I must have one.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I bought my wife a Ruger LCP a few months back, and now she is wanting something a little bigger. I know several will recommend the G26, which I think is a great gun, but I am leaning towards the M&P compact 9mm for her.
If I may humbly suggest, let her decide which pistol is best for her. We went through the same with my wife, but I was leaning towards the G26.

However, once she tried the G26 and compared against the M&P 9C, she decided that the M&P was best for her, even with the medium-sized grip. With the small grip, the fit is even better, and she loves it.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I can only echo all the positive comments toward the M&P line. No issues with the one's I have and my wife really enjoys her M&P9c. green LED nailed it though...make sure she likes it.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I had an M&P9c, and it was fine.

·
Super Moderator
18,750 Posts
Smith & Wesson M&Ps? You bet! They're dead reliable!

Oh sorry. Wrong age, wrong M&Ps. I'm constantly behind the times.

I have shot exactly one M&P 9mm and found that poppers and targets were easy to hit with it. It gave dependable function for the afternoon that I used it.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I am a woman and my EDC is an M&P9c. I love it and have not had one problem with it. I did order 2 extra 12rd mags from S&W and it took almost a year to get them. If you email them they will send out free pinkie extensions to you for other mags. Now all my 12 rd mags have them.

But while I was waiting and complaining about not receiving the 12rounders, S&W sent out 2 free 10 rounders but the pinkie extensions wouldn't fit on them. Anyone know why they would make those mags different? Anyway now I have two 10 rd mags for those gun unfriendly states like CA.

·
Registered
4,257 Posts
redwood66,
I beleive the extentions are for the extra two rounds in the mag /Only a guess
H/D

1 - 20 of 25 Posts