Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently own a Sig P220 and I am thinking about a second .45 gun for CC.

I have narrowed it down to a Glock 30 or a HK 45 Compact.

Now I know they arent the same gun and both offer different options.
But I would love some opinions on these guns in regard to carrying and all round quality.

I need a little bit bigger gun for my hands and I am fond of the .45 caliber.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
Which ever one you shoot better and enjoy more.

·
Premium Member
3,232 Posts
H+K all the way. The quality far surpasses the Block..er..Glock

Remember...you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I would generally pick the HK over the clock, but I have a HK USP and it is a beast. I love the gun, but I think it is thicker than my 6 shot 357...

For CC purposes, (I don't even want to say it), Go with the Glock30.

Do you like 1911s? Check out some of the 4" or Commander variants. I've got giant meat hooks myself and the 1911s fit nicely. Even the full size 5" guns are easy enough to conceal. And you can still get 8+1 in the gun.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Both proven guns, what ever you feel the best about. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
I would say either choice is good.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I happen to have two friends who own those guns. I have shot both, and the Glock 30 is pretty nice (I have a 36), but I would go with the HK. It cost a little more, but the sexiness factor makes up for it.

Glock 30
Pros: 10+1 capacity, cheap mags, ~$500 bucks, reliable, accurate
Cons: a little too thick for some people

HK 45c
Pros: 8+1 capacity, Great ergonomics! Sexy! somewhat thinner than the Glock (by feel), reliable, I think this also has the o-ring barrel, which makes it a little more accurate
Cons: Cost as much as 2 glocks ~$1k. Mags are $50-60 bucks.

Nice thing about both pistols is they can use larger capacity mags from other guns in the mftr's lineup.
Glock 30 can use Glock 21 mags
HK 45c can use USP mags

·
Super Moderator
18,130 Posts
The HK has a higher resale value than a Glock.

That wont matter if you arent ever planning on getting rid of it ,but later on, if you do, they are worth more.

I'd pick the HKc over the Glock any day of the week. If you have big hands like I do, the HK has a lot more to grab on to than the 30 does. I'd rather have to conceal a big grip than to shoot a short gripped gun.

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
Oh, it's Christmas time, just get both...

·
Registered
543 Posts
Oh, it's Christmas time, just get both...
That's some true wisdom there brother, better take it while it's free.

·
Registered
809 Posts
H+K all the way. The quality far surpasses the Block..er..Glock

Remember...you get what you pay for.
You can always pay more, but getting more only goes so far. Yes, you get what you pay for with a Glock. You get utter reliability with enough money left over to buy a good holster, a couple spare mags and some ammo.

If I were you, I'd look at the 30SF hard. I've got a standard G30 and it's a great little gun. I'd just handle and shoot both if possible and go with which one you like better.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
The HK has a higher resale value than a Glock.
It had better, it cost almost twice as much. :duh:

I'm probably one of the few that isn't an HK fan. I can't badmouth their performance because I've rarely seen one puke but I do not like the higher bore axis, DA trigger, huge levers and the mag release levers. On the positives, I like the grip, C&L option and the couple I've shot were exceptionally accurate, meaning about the same as my G30 SF. Overall, I still prefer the Glock platform but if I were tempted to spend a $1,000 on a poly pistol, the 45C is a good one. I'd buy a 220 first though.

·
Premium Member
7,703 Posts
I'd get a SIG P-220 Compact! :wink:

·
Premium Member
3,232 Posts
You can always pay more, but getting more only goes so far. Yes, you get what you pay for with a Glock. You get utter reliability with enough money left over to buy a good holster, a couple spare mags and some ammo.

If I were you, I'd look at the 30SF hard. I've got a standard G30 and it's a great little gun. I'd just handle and shoot both if possible and go with which one you like better.
In my experience, that's not the case. During the academy, approximately 70% of the failures were in Glocks.

I'd get a SIG P-220 Compact! :wink:

Of the choices given, I'd pick the HK, but I'd absolutely pick the Sig P220 over anything else.

Nothing beats a Sig!

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
In my experience, that's not the case. During the academy, approximately 70% of the failures were in Glock.
I hear that once in a while but in all the shoots, courses and competitions I've been to over the years, I never see that. Ever. I can say the same for Sig, HK and Beretta as well. I've seen all of them choke on occasion but none of them have an epidemic. Then again, an academy class full of novice shooters could probably get TC Contenders to choke.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
In my experience, that's not the case. During the academy, approximately 70% of the failures were in Glocks.

Of the choices given, I'd pick the HK, but I'd absolutely pick the Sig P220 over anything else.

Nothing beats a Sig!
Soooooo, you counted the total failures and then the Glock failures...divided and computed the 70%??? Sorry, but tired of the "facts" that are not based on scientific data. Both are high quality guns but the H&K is much more expensive but not better necessarily, so for me, the simplicity of the manual of arms is the answer for the decision for me. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
3,232 Posts
Soooooo, you counted the total failures and then the Glock failures...divided and computed the 70%??? Sorry, but tired of the "facts" that are not based on scientific data. Both are high quality guns but the H&K is much more expensive but not better necessarily, so for me, the simplicity of the manual of arms is the answer for the decision for me. Good luck!
No, I didn't.....Our range instructor DID though. Buy and carry what you like, I like the Sig P220. Our range instructor carries an HK USP Compact.

The manual of arms on a Glock is simple, I won't argue with that. I will argue that the HK is better, more reliable, will have less failures under real world conditions.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts