Defensive Carry banner

Need to I.D. my .38 hand-me-down

8K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  rhinokrk 
#1 ·
Dad passed away so how can i find out more info on my new to me ole Ruger?(has logo RG in a circle on plastic grip)
It says cal .38 special on barrel. A heavy steel snubbie 6 shot revolver. Also says Mod. RG40 RG IND Miami Fla
Because of the weight i'd think it can handle +P ammo.
Very uncomfortable plastic grip. Are good rubber replacements easy to find?
Comments please...........Thnx

#7 ·
Made my decision about this RG. I'll take it to the range and very carefully fire it with standard practice rounds. That's as far as i'll push it. Info i found from several sources basically called RG "junk",,,,,,end of story........AND thnx

#9 ·
My brother had a RG 22,when you fired it you got just as much lead going downrange as you had coming back at you,shaved lead hurts.I cut that thing up and trashed it

#12 ·
Years ago I had an RG 38. That was a worthless piece of junk. I turned it into the local police to be destroyed when I bought my first quality handgun. I bought a S/W Model 10-8 w/4 inch heavy barrel.

That RG 38 was a very good paperweight at best!

#14 ·
Quote from GunnyBunny's link

"The best thing to do with it is put it back in a safe place an and put a picture of grandma with it, an on the back of the picture tell this was GRANDMA'S HAND GUN AND KEEP THEM TOGETHER"

It will be more valuable this way than many guns in your safe, as it teaches your children and grandchildren the linage of your family's ownership of firearms.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.