Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just got my reloading stuff came with 125 grain round nose lead bullets and 1lb of bullseye powder. is that a good powder for 9mm?? suggestions would be awesome!!

·
Super Moderator
18,770 Posts
Although they don't list loads for Bullseye here is a good site for load data.

Basic Manual Download

·
Registered
15,176 Posts
I'm showing 125 grn lead bullet Bullseye start 4.7 grains 4.9 max,1.150 min oal 1.169 max oal

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
Speer #14 is showing start load for 124g 9MM (Luger)with bullseye - 3.9 / 966fps. Max 4.4 / 1059fps. Verify data and use at your own risk.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Since you are first starting to reload here's a bit of caution:
First: Do not shoot lead bullets in a polygon barrel eg. Glock H&K. These barrels tend to lead up quickly and could raise pressures significantly from all I have read.

Second: when using Bullseye or any other fast burning powder use only verified data, and measure precisely. Fast powders are less forgiving; they usually take up a very small volume in the case, and reach peek pressure quickly.

I try to stay with medium burning powders mostly, eg. Unique and WSF, but I have used Bullseye, and in 9mm I've gotten outstanding results with Red Dot. What I like about the Red Dot powder is it has a lot of volume/per weight, and a normal charge fills the case almost to the top.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
I would never recommend Bullseye for a beginning handloader. The range from mild to max loads in small cases sugh as the 9mm and simply too small.

Unique is a much better choice for a beginner.

If you DO use Bullseye - follow the loads in a published loading manual exactly. Do NOT go by some load you get from an Internet forum, including this one.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
this is all good info!! what is "oal" ??? what is a preferred powder for beginners?? for 9mm..

also does an xd have a polygon barrel??

·
Super Moderator
18,770 Posts
this is all good info!! what is "oal" ??? what is a preferred powder for beginners?? for 9mm..

also does an xd have a polygon barrel??
"oal" stands for overall length measured from the base of the round to the tip of the bullet. I would recommend Unique powder for a first timer, good for a variety and bulky enough to prevent a double charge. As far as the xd I do not know.

·
Registered
15,176 Posts
An XD does not have a polygonal barrel,I shoot 125 grain lead 4.5 grains unique out of it all the time,It's a nice practice load and fills the case to within about 3/16" from the top

·
Registered
185 Posts
Unique is a good powder, but I like Hodgon Universal Clays. Has the same burn rate as Unique except the flakes are smaller thus making it very accurate through powder measures. It is also very clean burning. I use 4.3 grains with 125 lead and 5 grains with 115 Jacketed. My gun is a S&W 3913 however I've found these loads work well in every 9mm I've owned and/or shot them in. Also these quanities fill the case enough that double charges would over flow he case.

Good Luck!!!

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks for the info!

alittle confused thought someone said u couldnt shoot lead through a polygon barrel another people say they do it all the time... :blink: so ummmm which is it??

·
Registered
185 Posts
I shot lead through my Glocks and my HK However it is not recommended. I cleaned my barrels after every time at the range. That meant no more than 200 rounds. This was not enough to get any significant build up. I still wound up buying a Lone Wolf after market barrel for my Glock 34 because I shot it more and a standard barrel was more accurate. After market barrels have fully supported chambers and while this is not a major concern with 9mm or 45, it is definitely a concern with other calibers especially 40 S&W.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
bump more opinions!!!

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
thanks for the info!

alittle confused thought someone said u couldnt shoot lead through a polygon barrel another people say they do it all the time... :blink: so ummmm which is it??
After re-reading all the posts, only one person indicated that he's fired lead bullets through polygon barrels, and also stated that manufacturers DO NOT recommend it. In fact, manufacturers do not recommend reloads; period.

I thought I gave you good advice on polygon barrels based on my research, and since you have an XD with traditional rifling the point is moot. I can only share my years of reloading experience with you, if you do not wish to follow recommendations, and one day shoot lead through a poly barrel, so be it, and do so at your own peril!

·
Premium Member
5,379 Posts
+1 Don't start with Bullseye powder (use Unique) but if you choose to use bulleseye, then I shoot a Berry's 124 FMJ, 4.3 grains of Bullesye. 4.9 grains of bullesye seems a little high in any 9mm load.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
First: I'm not a fan of Bullseye. I know a lot of people use it but it is a vary fast powder and the charge weights from minimum to maximum on a case as small as a 9mm are very small. My favorites for 9mm are AA #2 or AA #5. If you want to use Bullseye or Unique, here's Alliant's data manual. Be aware that they list only maximum loads and you should reduce that load by 10% to get a starting load.

Second: Don't shoot lead bullets out of a polygonal barrel. Not a problem with your XD but should you some day buy a Kahr (other than the CW series),Glock, HK, etc. that uses a polygonal barrel and decide to use lead bullets, just don't say you weren't warned if it blows.

Third: I really don't want to sound overly harsh or scare you off from asking questions but based on some of your questions you really need to push the loading equipment to the back of your bench and don't touch it again until you have bought, and read thoroughly, a good reloading manual. Reloading doesn't have to be dangerous but it's no place to learn by trial and error.

Lastly: I urge you not to ask anyone, be it in person or on a bulletin board, for their "pet" loads. Take your loads only from good loading manuals or from the powder manufacturer's web site. I much prefer taking my loads from the manufacturer of the powder. For the most part, a primer is a primer, a case is a case, and a bullet (of a given material and weight) is a bullet. The powder is the real wild card in the formula and I prefer to defer to the people who developed the powder.

Best of luck.

Hoss

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
I use 4.0grs of titegroup behind lead RN 124gr, economical load and also works with 175gr lead TC .40cal, makes switching calibres on my loadmaster fairly quick.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I happen to like Bullseye in my 9mms. It is a good powder, but , I am not sure that I would reload anything without first figuring out your equipment first. And for damn sure read several reloading manuals, the variances in manuals can be a real eye opener. For instance, the Lee manual says to use 4.7grns of bullseye on a 125grn LRN, I go with a slower load from my Lyman manual of 3.6 (midrange recommended)... Lee might be good to shoot, I see no real reason to push the lead bullets though.

Lots of people recommend that you not shoot lead bullets out of a polygonnal barrel, myself I would have no problem with that, but glock says not to shoot reloads or lead bullets out of their guns... your mileage might vary. I tend to think the biggest leading issue with reloads is the lube used, I use a 50/50mix of moly HP grease and beeswax (ala Glenn Fryxell)... good so far out to 1400+ in a 44mag without leading. Please read lots of information on reloading , reread what you have read again , and then again. 9mms are a ***** to learn on, I had problems with them , after reloading for years. I would suggest that when you start reloading 9mms that you get around guys who reload them, it is amazing how many things can go wrong with that little short case. As a case in point, I reloaded about 1000 reloads with 700x, the load was on the hot side but not out of bounds, the reload was a tad short, but not to short... the combination would slam the slide back so far that it locked, I should have chronoed the load, but instead ended up pulling them. 9mms can be a *****. I would suggest the Speer manual, it has a very good section on the 9mm, and why they can be such a problem. Figure out what you want to do with a bullet and reload for that purpose, ie most of the time a lighter load that just cycles the slide tends to be a more accurate round. I would suggest that you have a fair micrometer, a good powder measure and scale. I am not trying to scare you off of reloading 9mms, just telling you that things can and do go wrong, I have sure found out the hard way, but it could have been much worse. I have included a bit of reading for you, might give you some good ideas.

Cast Boolits - Dedicated To The World Of Cast Bullets!

Cast bullet reference on lead alloy's, min / max pressure, lube, shrinkage,

Reloading Pages of M.D. Smith

9mm reloading

·
Registered
226 Posts
Speer #14 is showing start load for 124g 9MM (Luger)with bullseye - 3.9 / 966fps. Max 4.4 / 1059fps. Verify data and use at your own risk.

My speer #13 only shows a 124 grain in a jacketed bullet, and a 125 in a LRN.

That is one more thing, never change lead powder charges for jacketed bullet charges.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts