Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Banned
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello shooters!
I am looking to purchase a AR-15 rifle that is extremely reliable for both home defense & plinking at targets! I am no beginner to shooting this style of rifle --I shot Colt's M-16 for 3 years while active in the Marine Corp! I need a AR-15 rifle that has a barrel lenght of 18 thru 20 inches long and is extemely resistant to jamming!

Thank-You for your thoughts!

·
Registered
277 Posts
i think Bushmaster and RRA are very reliable AR15s , i own a Bushmaster AR15 and i never had a FTF or FTE i have it over a year now. That time i was looking for AR15s was when there was the "Obama panic" i should have waited and bought a RRA i like their trigger systems.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Very little real difference for the average shooter in quality or reliability between the major players. DPMS, Bushmaster, Rock River, S&W, Armilite, Colt.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I'm a bolt action guy myself, but the two names I've read good reviews on, and "opinions from owners" regarding the AR-15 is Colt and Bushmaster are quality firearms. All from the internet, so take it for what it's worth.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
If you were looking for carbines you'd be set: Bravo Company USA, CD Defense, Colt, LMT, and Noveske all make the best factory carbines on the market, period. Unfortunately only one of these companies makes a solid quality 20" barrel upper (Bravo Company M16 upper). You can have a durable and reliable A2- or A4-length rifle made by a number of companies: ADCO (Steve), G&R Tactical (Grant), Global Tactical (Denny), MSTN (Wes), and probably a couple others I'm forgetting to mention. All of them will have recommendations on barrels, since that's the part that will hold you up the most unless you want a heavy barrel.

On a side note, I can see where the full length rifle would be cool for a range gun, but I'd be very hesitant to grab one for home defense due to that length.

There are ways to keep any half-decent AR-15 running reliably: use half-decent ammo, make sure you've got a good quality bolt and that the gas keys in the carrier group are staked, use lots of good gun lube, and forget the cleaning regimen you were taught in the Corp (not kidding...).

-B

·
Banned
5,252 Posts
I'd look at the Officer.com forums and read the thread:

So you want to buy an AR-15 huh?

It's a very good article with lots of information. I'm having trouble linking it to here, so my apologies for not providing the link. In short, I went with a Colt and I'm building a CMMG.

Biker

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
The only full size AR I have trigger time with is the Colt Sporter HBAR that my Dad purchased when the assault weapons ban was still in place. It is a little big for my liking but it is an excellent rifle and another downside to it is that its only chambered in .223 and not 5.56. I don't know if it is safe to shoot 5.56 in this particular gun but its fun to shoot!
As always you can build your own which I really want to try myself!

·
Registered
396 Posts
extremely resistant to jamming!???

Then you will want to go with a one of the piston driven models.

·
Premium Member
3,232 Posts
I know it's not technically an "AR-15" but I thought I'd throw it out there since you want an extremely reliable AR

Go for the Sig 556

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
extremely resistant to jamming!???

Then you will want to go with a one of the piston driven models.
How is a piston driven AR-15 more resistant to "jamming"?

I know it's not technically an "AR-15" but I thought I'd throw it out there since you want an extremely reliable AR

Go for the Sig 556
Which is clearly not what he is asking for.

-B

·
Registered
963 Posts
I got an Olympic Arms M4 about 2 years ago for $650, put over 2000 rds thru it and no problems, the factory set peep site are dead on. I personaly like DPMS, but they are on the high end along with Bushmaster, Colt, Rock Isl etc etc. Shop around and ask alot of questions and dont forget that the US military gets there weapons form the lowest bidder.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
I read an article on the Colt's platform that the troops have over sea's in the sandbox and they have been giving them problems. Jaming after a few hundred rounds... I not saying you will have those extreme conditions but I'm sure as heck not risking my life to find out. Especial if our military is supposed to be using the so called "best firearms" JMO though i could be wrong

·
Registered
8,273 Posts
The ones that begin with ABC. Armilite,Bushmaster,Colt.I own a bushmaster
and I very happy with it.I still like my son's M-1 grand better ,I'd rather have
that at my side in a long range situation.

·
Banned
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I read an article on the Colt's platform that the troops have over sea's in the sandbox and they have been giving them problems. Jaming after a few hundred rounds... I not saying you will have those extreme conditions but I'm sure as heck not risking my life to find out. Especial if our military is supposed to be using the so called "best firearms" JMO though i could be wrong
I have heard the same comment you made from a small group of Marines in Iraq whose rifles overheated from aprox. 2-3 hundred rounds being fired in aprox. 1 3/4 hrs. causing a misfeed!

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Guys, the man wants a reliable rifle-length AR-15. He's even been gracious enough to specify its uses. If you aren't posting examples of reliable rifle-length AR-15s for his stated uses then seriously consider whether these ridiculous arguments about the "lowest bidder" and the "terribly unreliable AR-15" that we've had before, often, need to be rehashed again. For those who brought these up, I invite you to use the Search feature and read those previous arguments.

Cat-O-Matic: respectfully, you are mistaken. The weapons were not the issue at Wanat.

-B

·
Banned
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Guys, the man wants a reliable rifle-length AR-15. He's even been gracious enough to specify its uses. If you aren't posting examples of reliable rifle-length AR-15s for his stated uses then seriously consider whether these ridiculous arguments about the "lowest bidder" and the "terribly unreliable AR-15" that we've had before, often, need to be rehashed again. For those who brought these up, I invite you to use the Search feature and read those previous arguments.

Cat-O-Matic: respectfully, you are mistaken. The weapons were not the issue at Wanat.

-B

Then I am mistaken! What rifle was used at Wanat?
Wht do you know about -both Armilite or LMT AR-15 rifles regarding reliablity?
Thank-You for pointing out wrong information I had recieved!

1 - 20 of 53 Posts