Defensive Carry banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up a NEF single shot 12 gauge (used) at the local gun shop today. Been looking for one for a while - figure it will be good for teaching my son, and also good for trap shooting (where you only load one shell anyway).

Light weight, easy to handle, relatively compact for having a 28" barrel. And the ejector spits the shell out with authority when you break it open - making speedy reloads possible.

While not my first choice, I daresay that it would do the job for home defense under all but the most dire of situations. For those on a budget, these shotguns might be worth a look. Add an elastic butt cuff for a few more shells, and maybe a slip-on recoil pad, and you are done. What's more, you can leave it loaded safely, since you have to manually cock the hammer (equipped with a transfer bar, so it is drop-safe).

And as an added bonus, you can use cut shells or wax slugs in these guns - poor man's giant Glaser safety slug. :image035:

I figure these will be the last guns banned, too. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
7,680 Posts
...got one in 20 ga for my DIL when my boy was in Iraq...she loved it...
...picked up another recently for $90...put a cuff on it and it's in my garage, where I spend a fair amount of time...wipe it down weekly and I love that little 20...it is fast...

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
The shotgun closest to the front of my safe is a single shot 20ga. It started life as a rusty junker I bought for $20. Now it's short, has a fiber optic front bead, and is loaded with Federal Personal Defense #4 buck (whch I bought a ton of before the war started) These are great guns that can be bought all day long for $50 to $100 bucks.

·
Registered
11,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Got to take the shotgun to the trap field today - first time in 7 months (!) I've been able to go. The gun did very well - only had one spent shell that took a second try to get to eject...pretty sure that is due to the el-cheapo Federal target loads I was using (I've had extraction issues with that ammo with my 870 as well).

Shot two rounds of trap - despite the light weight, it did not beat me up too badly. Still, for those times when I'll want to shoot more rounds, I did pick up a slip-on recoil pad on the way home from the range. In the spirit of "all my guns will also fill a defensive role" I also got an elastic butt cuff for it, to keep 5 shells of buckshot on the gun. No, it won't be my primary or even secondary defensive long gun, but in a pinch it will do.

For the money invested, I really like this little light weight gem. And for the record, I shot an 80% and beat all the others on the firing line...despite some of them using some really high-priced equipment. :hand5:

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Picked up a NEF single shot 12 gauge (used) at the local gun shop today. Been looking for one for a while - figure it will be good for teaching my son, and also good for trap shooting (where you only load one shell anyway).

Light weight, easy to handle, relatively compact for having a 28" barrel. And the ejector spits the shell out with authority when you break it open - making speedy reloads possible.

While not my first choice, I daresay that it would do the job for home defense under all but the most dire of situations. For those on a budget, these shotguns might be worth a look. Add an elastic butt cuff for a few more shells, and maybe a slip-on recoil pad, and you are done. What's more, you can leave it loaded safely, since you have to manually cock the hammer (equipped with a transfer bar, so it is drop-safe).

And as an added bonus, you can use cut shells or wax slugs in these guns - poor man's giant Glaser safety slug. :image035:

I figure these will be the last guns banned, too. :rolleyes:
I have one similar, but made by Harrington & Richardson. I can hit clays with authority with it and do have the butt cuff on it with five shells on board...one in the chamber that gives six. Can't go wrong there, and the reloads are actually pretty quick with some practice.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts