Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
Sounds like the retired military Sargent that teaches firearm safety needs to fully retire-not a very effective teacher when he is unsafe himself.

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
People always get all bent out of shape about gun buster signs and always speculate about anti 2nd sentiments and such. I think this is exactly the kind of "issues" that are on the minds of most people who prohibit gun on the premises. Its probably not anti- gun or anti-2nd.. its anti-goofball. I hope the gun shop has got a good insurance company.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That gun store teaches tactical defense training, advanced firearm training as well as concealed carry class . I know a couple of people that have taken training classes with them and spoke well of it.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Automatically assuming that a retired NCO or Officer somehow is an expert with small arms can be a pretty big stretch.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
I hate when I just finish reassembling my pistol and haven't put a magazine in it but I guess I dropped a round into the chamber and someone picks it up and I tell them it's loaded and they still shoot themselves in the hand and manage to shoot that other guy in the leg as well. Glock 19 tactical back flip would have prevented this.

·
Registered
323 Posts
in the story it was said to keep the gun pointed done so the bullet goes into the floor????
most places i have been in are built on concrete slabs. aka: NO wood flooring. so would the bullet not bounce/angle up off the floor and be able to still hurt someone?

·
Premium Member
2,250 Posts
Gun safety. 24/7, 52 weeks a year. Why would anyone handle someone's else loaded firearm?

Reactions: GpTom

·
Registered
33 Posts
At the local indoor range here in NM, where I received some outstanding training on both AR and pistol, we've had a ND by one customer resulting in injury to another; a suicide by a guy who traveled here from out of state just to rent the pistol and off himself while he was in the range (suicide note in his hip pocket); and yesterday, a rented pistol blew up, injuring the customer and requiring EMS response and frantic documentation of the scene and the pistol by management. Wouldn't want to pay the insurance premiums for running an indoor range. Makes me thankful I'm close to about 3500 acres of BLM land where I can shoot and not have to worry about what the guy in the next lane is going to do!

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Just glad that no one was killed.

Reactions: Gaitero

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
I agree, always treat a gun as if is loaded. I am a little confused about this one however. He just put the gun back together, there was no mag in it but still there was a round in the chamber? Seems a bit odd to me. No question negligent and stupid but still odd.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Sounds like the retired military Sargent that teaches firearm safety needs to fully retire-not a very effective teacher when he is unsafe himself.
Not true. The people around him learned a lesson they'll never forget. You can't get any more effective than that!!!

·
Registered
5,935 Posts
Automatically assuming that a retired NCO or Officer somehow is an expert with small arms can be a pretty big stretch.
Any NCO or commissioned Officer should know basic firearm safety.

Rector says he told the man, a retired military sergeant who teaches gun safety classes elsewhere, it was loaded, but it went off.
A retired NCO who now teaches gun safety classes has no excuse. I'm not taking a safety class from an instructor with a self-inflicted gunshot wound.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
How can I violate the rules of gun safety... Let me count the ways...

Reactions: Black Arch Holsters

·
Registered
859 Posts
I hate when I just finish reassembling my pistol and haven't put a magazine in it but I guess I dropped a round into the chamber and someone picks it up and I tell them it's loaded and they still shoot themselves in the hand and manage to shoot that other guy in the leg as well. Glock 19 tactical back flip would have prevented this.
Someone is not telling us everything. I don't have ammo around disassembled firearms. Sounds like the owner chambered a round and then dropped the magazine before the Vet picked it up.

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
I'm glad it was not consider an accidental shooting. The instructor needs to go back to class.

·
Registered
739 Posts
in the story it was said to keep the gun pointed done so the bullet goes into the floor????
most places i have been in are built on concrete slabs. aka: NO wood flooring. so would the bullet not bounce/angle up off the floor and be able to still hurt someone?
This is why most military arms rooms/places where they deal with loaded weapons, has what is called a "clearing barrel".. most times its a 55 gallon metal drum filled 3/4's with sand and a hole cut out of the tope. Stick the barrel in the hole, pull the trigger to make SURE the weapon is clear and has no rounds in the chamber before you unload/turn in the weapon for securing/cleaning.

I use the same principle at home but with a 5 gallon bucket filled with sand. When I'm "clearing" my weapon for disassembly/cleaning, the bucket is on the floor next to the table, point the weapon at the bucket before squeezing the trigger to clear/disassemble. No holes in the wood floors in case of an "oopsie"

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
This story is kind of vague. Hard to tell if the owner was showing the gun to somebody or if the guy who shot it just picked it up to look at it or something when the owner happened to lay it down on the counter in reach of other people. Sounds to me like the owner shares part of the responsibility for this. After all the counter is not a place where a gun can be aimed safely down range. So if he knew it was loaded he should have never laid it down within anybodies reach.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
How about keeping the gun holstered until you intend to use it. A gun store is not a shooting range where anybody should be handling loaded weapons. At a range you only aim the loaded weapon down range. In the store you either keep the gun unloaded or holstered.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts