Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well you all know I am a fan of James' holsters. This is the latest, for my Browning Hi Power. Fits great, and it's amazing how comfortable these holsters are. All sizes and shapes, from J-frame to a full sized Government - they are all comfortable holsters and with a good gun belt stay in the same place all day.

·
Super Moderator
18,052 Posts
A fine compliment to a fine pistol.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
I'm very seriously considering getting a stealth holster but have a question. How stiff are the edges? Specifically the bottom edge? Also Is the leather soft/pliable or hard/stiff? I have a desantis owb holster and the leather is very stiff. Are nelson holsters the same way?

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
I'm not the OP or James but I have several of his holsters. (2 more on order now). I wouldn't call the leather soft but it is very pliable. It will also soften up a little the more you where it but retain great retention. You will not be sorry if you order a Stealth or any of James other offerings.

I'm very seriously considering getting a stealth holster but have a question. How stiff are the edges? Specifically the bottom edge? Also Is the leather soft/pliable or hard/stiff? I have a desantis owb holster and the leather is very stiff. Are nelson holsters the same way?

·
Vendor
1,735 Posts
The edge of the holster body is a single layer of leather and is stiff when you get it but being a single layer it does flex and conform to your body, reason behind the single layer edge is so you don't have a stiff doubled layer of leather that will poke and pinch you. Also the neoprene is warped around and tucked on the edges to give a nice rounded edge, only thing is you will see a small pucker in the neoprene in a few areas going around the corners but I try to get it as smooth ass possible. the neoprene is pressed and bonded to a water proof barrier under a 20 ton press before it is sewn onto the holster.
The neoprene is covered with a material similar the the under armor fabric to help wick any moisture away from the body.
I had the help of a orthopedic doctor and a acupuncturist in designing this holster - I ask them to help me come up with a design that would eliminate as many pressure points as possible and of course the first thing I was told is don't carry a piece of metal in my pants lol but then we got down to business and the stealth is the final out come. The leather/metal reinforcement was later added as a request from many of my customers who train at Thunder Ranch as Clint Smith teaches one handed re holstering and thow many users never needed the reinforcement to keep the holster mouth open depending on your body type it can close up a little and this reinforcement will keep the mouth of the holster open for the life of the holster (should outlast both you and me)
I have recently done what I could to refurbish two holsters one of which was very old and had been used a Suarez international several times and seen some hard use (it looked like it was drug threw gravel) but the holster was still structurally sound.
I am sure you can find out more info on the comfort from many users on this forum, I can tell its comfortable but then to me I would sound like a salesman and that I am just not good at lol

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
The edge of the holster body is a single layer of leather and is stiff when you get it but being a single layer it does flex and conform to your body, reason behind the single layer edge is so you don't have a stiff doubled layer of leather that will poke and pinch you. Also the neoprene is warped around and tucked on the edges to give a nice rounded edge, only thing is you will see a small pucker in the neoprene in a few areas going around the corners but I try to get it as smooth ass possible. the neoprene is pressed and bonded to a water proof barrier under a 20 ton press before it is sewn onto the holster.
The neoprene is covered with a material similar the the under armor fabric to help wick any moisture away from the body.
I had the help of a orthopedic doctor and a acupuncturist in designing this holster - I ask them to help me come up with a design that would eliminate as many pressure points as possible and of course the first thing I was told is don't carry a piece of metal in my pants lol but then we got down to business and the stealth is the final out come. The leather/metal reinforcement was later added as a request from many of my customers who train at Thunder Ranch as Clint Smith teaches one handed re holstering and thow many users never needed the reinforcement to keep the holster mouth open depending on your body type it can close up a little and this reinforcement will keep the mouth of the holster open for the life of the holster (should outlast both you and me)
I have recently done what I could to refurbish two holsters one of which was very old and had been used a Suarez international several times and seen some hard use (it looked like it was drug threw gravel) but the holster was still structurally sound.
I am sure you can find out more info on the comfort from many users on this forum, I can tell its comfortable but then to me I would sound like a salesman and that I am just not good at lol
Thanks for the info. This should be on your website!

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
Wish I could show off my Stealth for my EMP40 but it hasn't got here yet. I ordered it before Christmas but going to have to wait a little longer. :xpb_cry:

May as well just :a36a:

Reactions: Eric357 and Sister

·
Vendor
1,735 Posts
Thanks for the info. This should be on your website!
My website is going to be rebuilt my Mr Dunaway as soon as I can get several pieces of info to him such as what all guns I can build holsters for (I have lost count at this point myself) trying to catch I didnt take the time to make a note so its a mess but I think I am close to around 350 gun models at this point.
But there are several things that need to be updated or changed on my web site.

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
And no worries James, I know you're backed up. :smile: Get it to me when you can. I have an Alien Gear for it to carry me over until you get mine done.

Edit: James PM'ed me to let me know he was working on my Stealth and all the Dec orders. I also ordered an Eagle Defender from him and a dbl pouch for the same gun so I can carry in or out. And like I said here, when he's done, he's done. I know they're worth the wait.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
That rig is just beautiful. It makes my eyes feel good just to look at it.

·
Registered
98 Posts
James, whats the difference between the loops that come standard and the loops/reinforcement option? Ive had the Stealth on my list for quite some time after receiving my OWB Eagle Defender for my 4" 1911. Seeing that photo at the top of the Hi-Power in the Stealth has peaked my interest yet again!

·
Vendor
1,735 Posts
James, whats the difference between the loops that come standard and the loops/reinforcement option? Ive had the Stealth on my list for quite some time after receiving my OWB Eagle Defender for my 4" 1911. Seeing that photo at the top of the Hi-Power in the Stealth has peaked my interest yet again!
The loops/reinforcement option is for a second color for the loops and the reinforcement , say a mahogany holster with black reinforcement and black loops.

·
Registered
98 Posts
So essentially I could match my Eagle Defender which is black with mahogany reinforcement? Dang, James... You're making this too easy for me to place my order. ;)

·
Super Moderator
22,275 Posts
Well you all know I am a fan of James' holsters. This is the latest, for my Browning Hi Power. Fits great, and it's amazing how comfortable these holsters are. All sizes and shapes, from J-frame to a full sized Government - they are all comfortable holsters and with a good gun belt stay in the same place all day.

That is a beauty. :35:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts