Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
5,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have decided I want to try out a quality leather IWB holster for my Glock 27. The Nelson Stealth, TT Gunleather Slim Mikes Special, and the Milt Sparks Versa Max II are the three I am considering. All three of these look to be very well built. Looking for opinions and recommendations from those who have or have had these.

Nelson Stealth: Spoke to Mr. Nelson yesterday on the phone. Great person to talk to and was very helpful. Love the idea of the backing material on the back of the holster. Lead time looks to be around 10 weeks.

TT Gunleather Slim Mikes Special: These look to be very well made and only have around a 4 week lead time. I like the 25 degree cant and this particular holster is said to ride just a bit lower.

Milt Sparks VMII: Kind of the standard of which others are measured, looks to be well built and I can buy one now for my G27. My one concern with this holster is it looks to me like it rides pretty high.

All three holsters are reasonably close in price but I'm curious about the comfort of the 3. I prefer a lower riding holster, it can get pretty hot and humid here, and I do tend to sweat. I also tend to not wear an undershirt most of the year, so I am leaning towards the Nelson.

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
I've owned all three and all are comfortable and great quality. I don't like the VM2, especially for short-barrel guns. It does ride higher than the others. The TT Gunleather has one of the lower standard ride heights for this style of holster but it's not too deep at all. It's just right for getting a full grip. I'm sure Mr. Nelson could customize your ride height as well. I don't wear an undershirt either, and all of these are comfortable. I'm getting ready to order from TT Gunleather again. I like the quicker turnaround time.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
I have and love the Nelson stealth for my 26. It is very comfortable and can be worn all day easily. I love the wet suit type backing he uses. You wont be sorry if you go that route. I actually have 2 holsters on order from James now.

·
Premium Member
9,290 Posts
I have Nelson Stealths for multiple different guns, ranging in size from a J Frame to a Government 1911. Each is very comfortable, and far more comfortable than any other IWB holster I have tried. The Neoprene backing makes all the difference.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
They are all high quality holsters. Which one will work best for you depends on your body shape and carry style. Unfortunately there is no way to find out other trying each one. That's why they make "holster drawers".

·
Premium Member
4,459 Posts
I've got a couple of Nelson holsters one of which he modified quite radically for my wants. He can custom make about anything and his workmanship is excellent. Nowadays as I'm confined to OWB I much prefer a low riding holster. Right now I'm wearing a Crossbreed Dropslide holster on a Bigfoot belt. Rides low as standard but it's not pretty like a Nelson. I may have him work something up for me again.

·
Premium Member
8,395 Posts
I second - or third or fourth - the recommendation to order from James Nelson. I wrote to ask him if he could make a holster for me that is nothing at all resembling anything on his web site. He could and did.

Tell him exactly what you want/need and send pictures if possible to show him what YOU mean by a lower ride and he will tell you if he can do it or not. James is totally honest and will never say he can do something if he cannot do it. IF he thinks what you want is not going to work well he will tell you why. So far, according to my limited knowledge, there hasn't been much of anything he couldn't do for folks that gave him the correct information about what they actually want.

Will there be a long wait? Yep. Is it worth it? Yep.

BTW - What I did while waiting for my OWB all leather holster from James was to order an IWB Vedder light tuck in all Kydex which was delivered in less than a week - and that included a holiday weekend. Now I have the best of both worlds: for me.

·
Registered
4,479 Posts
Not only do I like my Nelsons I like the fact that he is one of the guys on here. Maybe I should get him to make something for my Sp101. Either that or I need to go buy a new gun so he can make me something. :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
I carry in a TT Mike's Special & love it. It's an extremely well made holster! I carry a CZ75 Compact Clone in everyday all day.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts
I've owned holsters from both TT and Nelson. Both were top quality. I've heard nothing but good things about the Nelson Stealth, mostly because of the backing, and the attention to detail he put's into building it exactly the way you want it. Not sure you will get that from anyone else.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
ShooterGranny mentioned one of my favorite holsters the Vedder LightTuck. I bought one for the very same reason she did. Reasonable price and quick delivery. I figured I'd use it until I could order and receive a Milt Sparks Summer Special II. After receiving the Vedder I found I liked it so much I didn't order the Sparks.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Owned all of the above.

The VMII is a much copied design that is actually a little out of date at this point.

Nelson Stealth is a fine holster and has the neoprene backer, but it is a pretty thick holster.

The TT Slim has a good cant, sits low, and is high quality.

Out of the 3, I like the TT best, and have numerous TT holsters, BUT...........

I will however have to pick option D, which is the Exodus Gunleather Undercover (EUC). Perfect cant, rides low, comes in horsehide standard, and is super comfortable. Check them out here..... https://exodusgunleather.com/exodus-under-cover/

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
I carry all of my HK's in a TT Gunleather holster w/matching magazine carriers. Great quality, very comfortable and very well made.

Reactions: Kadonny

·
Registered
21,404 Posts
I have decided I want to try out a quality leather IWB holster for my Glock 27. The Nelson Stealth, TT Gunleather Slim Mikes Special, and the Milt Sparks Versa Max II are the three I am considering. All three of these look to be very well built. Looking for opinions and recommendations from those who have or have had these.

Nelson Stealth: Spoke to Mr. Nelson yesterday on the phone. Great person to talk to and was very helpful. Love the idea of the backing material on the back of the holster. Lead time looks to be around 10 weeks.

TT Gunleather Slim Mikes Special: These look to be very well made and only have around a 4 week lead time. I like the 25 degree cant and this particular holster is said to ride just a bit lower.

Milt Sparks VMII: Kind of the standard of which others are measured, looks to be well built and I can buy one now for my G27. My one concern with this holster is it looks to me like it rides pretty high.

All three holsters are reasonably close in price but I'm curious about the comfort of the 3. I prefer a lower riding holster, it can get pretty hot and humid here, and I do tend to sweat. I also tend to not wear an undershirt most of the year, so I am leaning towards the Nelson.
I have few Milt Sparks holsters and been very happy with them. As of now I think I have five holsters from Milt Sparks. Now I can't speak for the other name brands good or bad. But you can't go wrong with Sparks. :yup:

·
Vendor
1,786 Posts
I can help with a few more things. First both Sparks and TT make top quality holsters as I hope my customers feel I do as well. now I cant stand leather against my bare skin and is the reason I started the neoprene backing on my iwb holsters (I am not going to wear a extra shirt to keep the holster from contacting my skin) so the neoprene against skin is why that was designed.
Now the first few models was of a thicker design by about 1/8.
The stealth holster uses leather that is 7 -8 oz close to 1/8 thick and the neoprene is 1mm thick so basically it will be roughly 1mm thicker than the TT and close to the same as the vm2 as the sweat shield on the vm2 is double layer of leather. There are reinforcement options on the stealth that will make the mouth of the holster just a little thicker but you really don't notice this at all.
I can make the holster ride as low as possible but I will only go as low as I can and still allow for a full combat grip and there are 2 reasons for this - I don't want to cover the mag release with the holster as this can cause mag ejections and I want my holster to work when you need to grab your gun hence the full combat grip.
I do not recommend a thumb break on any iwb holster but can add such if needed by the end user (some Leo depts require this) such as the NC SBI.

I personally would hate to be in your shoes as none of the three holsters are cheap (leather quality plays a huge part in this for a good quality holster)
If you have never use a iwb holster then get some cheap iwb holster and try out iwb carry to get an idea if you will like it before spending out cash as some just cant do iwb no matter the maker, the cheap iwb holster probably wont be comfortable but should help give you and idea of how it feels.
There is a member on this forum who did a video review on my stealth holster.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBV8ZmTxR1c&feature=youtu.be
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IoufyJzWX4&feature=youtu.be

He may have more to offer now that he has had the holster for a while now I don't know but I believe he has done several iwb holster reviews.

Thank you folks for the kind words on me and my work.

·
Registered
229 Posts
^^^ Good info, thanks, nice read.

I was a Milt Sparks guy.....until I bought a TT Gunleather. I'm now selling my Sparks and have another TT on order. So my answer is.........wait for it..........TT Gunleather. Tim's extra leather tab he cuts out at the bottom of the holster really helps with comfort.

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
I was/am a fervent Milt Sparks devotee until I saw James' work (Nelson Holsters). Now? It's more of a...coin flip. :image035:

Reactions: Eric357

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
I can help with a few more things. First both Sparks and TT make top quality holsters as I hope my customers feel I do as well. now I cant stand leather against my bare skin and is the reason I started the neoprene backing on my iwb holsters (I am not going to wear a extra shirt to keep the holster from contacting my skin) so the neoprene against skin is why that was designed.
Now the first few models was of a thicker design by about 1/8.
The stealth holster uses leather that is 7 -8 oz close to 1/8 thick and the neoprene is 1mm thick so basically it will be roughly 1mm thicker than the TT and close to the same as the vm2 as the sweat shield on the vm2 is double layer of leather. There are reinforcement options on the stealth that will make the mouth of the holster just a little thicker but you really don't notice this at all.
I can make the holster ride as low as possible but I will only go as low as I can and still allow for a full combat grip and there are 2 reasons for this - I don't want to cover the mag release with the holster as this can cause mag ejections and I want my holster to work when you need to grab your gun hence the full combat grip.
I do not recommend a thumb break on any iwb holster but can add such if needed by the end user (some Leo depts require this) such as the NC SBI.

I personally would hate to be in your shoes as none of the three holsters are cheap (leather quality plays a huge part in this for a good quality holster)
If you have never use a iwb holster then get some cheap iwb holster and try out iwb carry to get an idea if you will like it before spending out cash as some just cant do iwb no matter the maker, the cheap iwb holster probably wont be comfortable but should help give you and idea of how it feels.
There is a member on this forum who did a video review on my stealth holster.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBV8ZmTxR1c&feature=youtu.be
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IoufyJzWX4&feature=youtu.be

He may have more to offer now that he has had the holster for a while now I don't know but I believe he has done several iwb holster reviews.

Thank you folks for the kind words on me and my work.
Isn't the stealth flat on the back which helps with comfort?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts