Defensive Carry banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Read this in the Orange County Register, CA today.
Carson City, Nevada Gun Owners no longer exempt from screening!
Starting today handgun owners with Nevada permits to carry concealed weapons will no longer be exempt from background checks when buying new guns federal officials said.
Gun buyers are required to have their backgrounds checked under the Brady Handgun Violence Prevention act.

Is Nevada a new target for the anti-gun crowd???

·
Banned
303 Posts
I don't know. I know you have to have a BC here in South Carolina at the time of purchase, unless you have a CCW in which case the BC is waived. I guess they figure you already passed and don't need another one. I don't know why they would require one every time you purchase since you already have a CCW!!! Of course the federal BC takes about 30 seconds. Go figure.

·
1952 - 2006
1,371 Posts
I read the news on this yesterday and what the BATF is trying to do (other than just get more money) is for the local Sheriff to run an annual background check on all CCW holders (our CCW is good for 5 years). They say a CCW holder could, theoretically at least, commit a felony, serve a couple of years in jail and get out still having a valid CCW then buy a gun with no background check.

At least that's the reason they are giving.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Florida the Gunshine state doesn't make you wait for delivery if you have a CCw but it still mandates the background check even if you have your CCW.
Weird

AFS

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Similar here to FL re no wait to aquire if clean - but despite having CCW still NICS every time a purchase.

Richard I think almost everywhere is a target for the anti's - just that they struggle much harder to get a foothold in some places over others. They still keep damn trying tho.

·
1952 - 2006
1,371 Posts
The only real problem I have with this is the $25 fee for a two minute phone check. That $25 was slated for an extra magazine.

According to the BATF all states that do not conduct annual back-ground checks on CCW holders with be subject to the same fee with every handgun purchase.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
I consider myself very fortunate (know I am) - my local guy, who admittedly has had plenty of business from me) - does a transfer for $10 all in - which includes the NICS and when buying direct from him - he does not add any extra charge for NICS.

I am appalled at some charges I hear of.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts