Defensive Carry banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was watching a gun show on TV and one of the guys said that if you print, it is felony brandishing. I know that NV is an open carry law, so how can printing be brandishing but open carry isn't?

·
Premium Member
7,703 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
IANAL, but I think it goes to intent. If you are openly carrying a gun, it is in view all of the time whether you are threatening someone with it or not. You would have to draw the gun or otherwise show your intent to use it before you could be charged with brandishing/menacing/threatening or whatever.

But, if you are carrying concealed, it is not in view and your obvious intent is to keep the fact that you have a gun hidden. The only reason you would want to let someone know that you have a gun is if you intend to use it.

I think they take it to the extreme of making printing a crime so that people can't expose their gun in an intimidating way, then claim that they "accidently" exposed it.

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts
Nice to know. Great reference. My writing is illegible.

·
Registered
11 Posts
"Felony" Printing

The carry laws vary from state to state and city to city so greatly that you would be hard pressed to convince anyone with a blanket statement like that. If printing were a felony, then it stands to reason that carrying would be an 'on the spot' executable offense. I am a retired detective sergeant in the Peoples Republic of Kalifornia and printing is not a felony even out here.

·
Banned
471 Posts
I think they take it to the extreme of making printing a crime so that people can't expose their gun in an intimidating way, then claim that they "accidently" exposed it.
And the law that makes printing illegal is exactly which one? There is no law against printing in Nevada.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I was watching a gun show on TV and one of the guys said that if you print, it is felony brandishing. I know that NV is an open carry law, so how can printing be brandishing but open carry isn't?

If you're a permit holder and legal, printing IS NOT brandishing, legal open carry in a holster IS NOT brandishing. Ask yourself this: If printing and/or open carry were "brandishing", then that would make any form of carry unlawful wouldn't it? I don't know what idiosynchratic anti-gunner started that crap, but it's a complete fabrication.

I keep hearing from CCW students in Missouri that their instructors keep telling people that open carry is brandishing and they NEVER produce the Missouri Statute with the definition for brandishing. Those are the kinds of instructors that need to have their NRA instructor status for CCW classes pulled as they're not providing their students with the right information, which confuses and often scares them from carrying. Of course some of these numbskulls are LEOs in Missouri...go figure.

Check your State laws for a definition of "brandishing". You can bet that brandishing will say "displayed in a threatening manner", which would require removal from a holster.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts