Defensive Carry banner

21 - 40 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
That vid sure does arouse the emotional juices, doesn't it. Too bad it delivers a fake message about being bullied in "zero tolerance" public schools these days. Honestly, the hooah, hooha, ninja nerd would have been quickly beaten down by her numerous tormentors if this were an actual incident. And then she would have been expelled forever and been placed in some kind of juvenile jail for punishment.

While racial tension was already festering, my actions in gym class playing volleyball triggered a full-blown race riot at the first consolidated high school I attended. Due to my diminutive physical size, I couldn't play very well. And when this big black girl started criticizing me, I tossed the ball at her and told her where she could shove it. I then quickly made my exit before she squashed me. :frown:

So the stupid race war took place in the hallways soon after this fiasco occurred. :rolleyes:

Due to her reasonable fear for my future safety, my mother had me transferred to another out-of-town high school where I graduated. :smile:

·
Banned
1,100 Posts
Taught unconventional weapons use in 1980. Since that time [ 39 years ], I've looked at objects not considered weapons near and around me that are readily accessible and mentally figured out how I might use that object as a weapon. After maybe 1/2 that 39 years, I came to discover anything I can get into my hand/s can be used as a weapon. -snip-
I like the idea of the mind being open to looking at ordinary everyday objects as possible weapons. Right at hand at the moment is a somewhat heavy Chromebook (impact weapon), a charging cord (garrote), an ink pen and a mechanical pencil (stabbing weapons), TV remote (club), Oh.... and a .38 revolver on the end table along with a 9mm semi auto in my pocket. Which will I use if needed? Any and all depending on the opportunity.

·
Premium Member
2,229 Posts
Nice to see the legend of Bruce Lee is still going strong.
I like that exchange in a movie about him in college where he said "Don't touch me" and the bully asked "What are you gonna do about it" and Lee said "I'll touch you back". Bruce Lee ended up whipping him and his buddies good.

·
Registered
6,263 Posts

·
Registered
6,821 Posts
I am always amazed at how many folks would not have liked to attend high school with me back in the day. We had ways of dealing with people who chose to act like those idjits. It would never have started with young ladies though, because back then almost all of them acted like young ladies and boys-soon-to-be-men treated them with the utmost respect. Failing that meant a not too pleasant evening with dad. The boys? It wasn't an experience they soon forgot.

I'm also amazed at how many times people today cannot distinguish between reality and fake. The video is obviously fake. It isn't meant to teach a life lesson, it is entertainment with a point.

I've never worked professionally with anyone who experienced that and retaliated, but I can assure you from the experience and reports of many of my colleagues, that that level of, whatever you want to call it, is EXACTLY why some kids come back to school with truly lethal force and settle the score. Parents teaching a child to simply "endure" that in today's much different world is like lighting a fuse on a case of dynamite and watching it burn. Allowing school officials to turn a blind eye to that kind of thing is even worse. Kids have a 24/7 electronic teacher who is all too quick to give them ideas about retaliation and exactly how to accomplish it, and it does it in living color and graphic detail.

I am eternally grateful that my great grand children are being home schooled.

·
Registered
8,154 Posts
In reality, very few could do this. And if they could, they wouldn’t. Don’t get too amped up over the video, it’s just Hollywood.
It would be one thing if it were just a Hollywierd action movie. But if you dig into who is behind this video, you find out it was a stand-alone produced by a gal who is trying to promote herself as an actress, model, mixed martial artist, action star and social justice warrior. She plays the "defender" in the clip. On other social media she is bragging about how this is getting the word out about real bullying and how people should respond. She admits that she was never bullied in school. Her family owned a martial arts school, she studied from a young age and everyone knew it, so no one ever messed with her.

So you're right that very few people could do this. I hope kids seeing this video don't rush out to their local storefront dojo, take lessons for three months and try this in their school cafeteria. It won't turn out well.

·
Banned
19,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
The video is a lesson in use of unconventional weapons, as I mentioned in the original post. Nothing more. Most haven't a clue about looking at every day objects and figuring out how to use them as weapons at hand.

·
Registered
34,034 Posts
In my youthful school days, I reckon having red hair was reason enough for some to pick on me. I tried not to get into fights, but they'd keep it up until I eventually snapped. Nothing upsets a bully's OODA loop more than a pissed-off redhead exploding on them with no warning. Getting hammered can really change their tune.

·
Premium Member
1,842 Posts
It was just another martial arts video with a "root for the underdog against the bullies" message. They conveniently came at her one or a few at a time, etc. None of it seemed real. The silliest part was the end, when she covered her head back up w/ the hoodie and turned her back to everyone (conveniently all unconscious). Big mistake in real life....

·
Registered
8,154 Posts
I saw it as a what weapons are available video. In real life, they would have swarmed her and put her in the hospital.
LOL. It's that old martial arts movie trope. The hero can fight a whole heard of attackers, if they all take turns attacking! In real life, if want to have even a sliver of a chance of fighting a herd, you have to get to the outside of the pack and funnel them into attacking you one at a time. But even that is pretty dicey.

As far as improvised weapons, the "defender" in the video had a much better one than a small book and a plastic lunch tray: A chair. The chair she was sitting in would have make a fearsome weapon if she knew how to use it. There are some schools that teach it.

·
Banned
19,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
LOL. It's that old martial arts movie trope. The hero can fight a whole heard of attackers, if they all take turns attacking! In real life, if want to have even a sliver of a chance of fighting a herd, you have to get to the outside of the pack and funnel them into attacking you one at a time. But even that is pretty dicey.

As far as improvised weapons, the "defender" in the video had a much better one than a small book and a plastic lunch tray: A chair. The chair she was sitting in would have make a fearsome weapon if she knew how to use it. There are some schools that teach it.
Anything you can put in your hand, as mentioned. The chair would not be my first choice, like her. The book was at hand, the tray at hand and neither gave forewarning she was about to take that posture of aggression against them. The first one got a Y hand to the throat, in the real world, she'd have not been able to re-engage. One of the other girls took the edge of the book to the throat, she'd have not reengaged in the real world either.

The Y hand to the throat is my preferred strike when I can get it, if they can't breathe they can't fight. :wink:

·
Registered
8,154 Posts
Anything you can put in your hand, as mentioned. The chair would not be my first choice, like her. The book was at hand, the tray at hand and neither gave forewarning she was about to take that posture of aggression against them. The first one got a Y hand to the throat, in the real world, she'd have not been able to re-engage. One of the other girls took the edge of the book to the throat, she'd have not reengaged in the real world either.

The Y hand to the throat is my preferred strike when I can get it, if they can't breathe they can't fight. :wink:
I totally agree on the Y strike. It is devastating, and possibly permanently damaging. That is why I think if this were a real incident and that girl who took the first strike went to the hospital or worse, the law would have taken a dim view of the "defender." I don't see it as a move you use if you are not in fear of imminent grave bodily harm, which the defender was not, at least not until she started the melee.

Which brings up another point. She actually escalated the physical danger to herself with that Y strike and like LimaCharlie said, in real life that would have started a swarm that she might not have been able to handle. There was nothing to suggest she was about to be harmed physically until she took on the whole group.

If someone threw a glass of milk on me, I would respond swiftly and decisively to the assault, but not with a throat punch, or an eye gouge or a breaking kick to the kneecap, all of which would be easy enough. I think a nice punch to the diaphragm, or to your point, the book to the diaphragm, to knock the wind out, would have been good. The mean girl would still have been out of the fight for the duration, but she would not have gone to the emergency room. However, it would have still started the swarm. They would not have waited turns to attack.

·
Premium Member
4,257 Posts
I was a small guy in school. Right after transferring to a new school, the local head bully kicked me in the shin five-six times while eating my lunch. I never said a word, just looked at him over my glasses and went back to my lunch. When I was done, I stood up and broke the fiberglass tray over his head. A one shot KO that put him under the table. I still had not said a word. Put the tray in the trash and walked out, right past the asst Principle. He'd watched the whole incident go down and just smiled when I walked by.

The moral of the story: I was never bullied again over the next six years of school.

The bully later apologized and ceased being a bully.

In the words of the late Chris Kyle, "VIOLENCE DOES SOLVE PROBLEMS"

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
The video is a lesson in use of unconventional weapons, as I mentioned in the original post. Nothing more. Most haven't a clue about looking at every day objects and figuring out how to use them as weapons at hand.
Being married... I learned a long time ago anything my wife can get her hands on when mad at me.....Can be used as
a weapon....If it is within arms reach it may be used.:smile:

21 - 40 of 76 Posts