Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would you do where you live in a situation like this?

First off, if this is a post office and not a simple postal desk out in the open, the customer broke federal law by having a firearm on his person on post office property. Now with that said, what would you have done in a similar situation. Reason I pose this is because this topic shows up rather frequently on a lot of carry websites and presents a real dilemma for those who carry. Would you pull your sidearm and shoot the perp or just be a good witness? Think about all of the legal entanglements before you answer because there are a lot of them. Knowing when, when not, and if or should you use your sidearm is more important than having one on your person. And the laws vary from state to state. Know the laws in the state in which you live and apply common sense to your actions. Again, knowing when to draw your firearm and use it is the most important thing when you choose to carry. Never forget this.

·
Premium Member
4,305 Posts
Not sure, but I think I've seen this before and it was not in the US.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Correct not Texas or anywhere else in the USA. That being said be a good witness I'm not taking a bullet for your Amazon purchases

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
Not guilty.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Perfect shot placement for taking down a threat. Two buddies seem unsure of themselves. Are they waiting outside? Did they just happen to follow the perp in? Horrible security camera location. I don't care about the fan. I want to see the customer's face.

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
The perp looks away for a second, then turns and sees a pistol. Zoom in on his face. Surprise!

·
Premium Member
1,197 Posts
Another example of poor victim selection - oops.

Reactions: airslot

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
FWIW, this video was sent to me by a friend who lives in Florida. So if it was from out of country, that was unknown to me and I would bet, also unknown to my friend.

Reactions: OldChap

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If I am carrying in a posted place, the only time I would pull my firearm is to save MY life or that of a family member.
I will not use it to save the business owner or his staff. or stop a robbery. When they posted the place they stated to me that they do not wish or want my assistance.
Excellent point. Let them pay the price for their stupidity.

Reactions: OldChap

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I couldn't shoot someone in a post office since I remove my gun before entering. I don't like it but it's not worth a federal offense.
Same here. Don't like it but spending years in a federal prison does not appeal to me. And at my age, that could mean the rest of my life in prison.

Reactions: DZUS

·
Registered
Various
15,793 Posts
I haven't been in a post office in many years. I can buy stamps at the grocery store or the bank ATM. Any shipping goes to UPS or FedEx.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Have seen this before. It happened in Brazil and I believe the shooter is an off duty police officer.
The way it goes down doesn't surprise me much, but the shooter's lack of reaction does. He puts the BG down and casually walks outside to look for his buddies like it's just another day at the office.

I wouldn't have pulled a weapon because our Post Offices are gun-free-zones and I'm in no hurry to garner a felony charge. Anything short of deadly force would have a much poorer chance of success when faced with 3 adversaries.
I'm gonna be a good witness unless my life is threatened directly.

Reactions: SouthernBoyVA

·
Registered
7,125 Posts
Actions teach lessons. Inaction also teaches lessons. In the case of a US Post Office, (which this is not) they honestly believe that by banning firearms with a sign, they have taught a lesson to bad guys everywhere.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Actions teach lessons. Inaction also teaches lessons. In the case of a US Post Office, (which this is not) they honestly believe that by banning firearms with a sign, they have taught a lesson to bad guys everywhere.

View attachment 333845
It is easy to say what you would do .... but until it is thrust in your face you would not be able to say for sure what you would do.....fight or flight.....if he turned the pistol on the customers after the clerk....the individual would be in the hole....by drawing his gun while the bad guy's attention is on the clerk is a smart thing and puts him a head of the game if the customers then become victims......L.E. and retired L.E. as well as retired military will react completely differently than normal citizens......so think!

·
Registered
7,125 Posts
It is easy to say what you would do .... but until it is thrust in your face you would not be able to say for sure what you would do.....fight or flight.....if he turned the pistol on the customers after the clerk....the individual would be in the hole....by drawing his gun while the bad guy's attention is on the clerk is a smart thing and puts him a head of the game if the customers then become victims......L.E. and retired L.E. as well as retired military will react completely differently than normal citizens......so think!
I don't remember advocating either action. Of course, he could have put his cape on and flown away. As long as we're playing "what if."

1 - 20 of 33 Posts