Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got her today and put 200 rds through her. I love the additional weight out front. Very recoil taming. Controlled pairs are a breeze with this an dthe so called blood donor front strap is not really that bad at all.

~A

·
Administrator
143,595 Posts
APachon

Congratulations!
Nice Springer Firearm APachon.
Happy that it's performing well for you.
and...concerning that nice looking front strap ...just start buying the good Romano & Parmesan Cheese from now on & that will sure come in real handy. :rofl:
Actually, I love the way pistol that looks...really nice & classic.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
QK, thanks for the compliments on the new SA 1911. As for the front strap it is not as bad as you would think and I did some off hand and strong hand shooting and the checkered front strap makes the pistol stay put. No DNA withdrawals yet. :eek: Pleasure to fire.

~A

·
Administrator
143,595 Posts
Checkered Front Strap

The checkered or serrated front strap is one feature/modification/addition that I think makes perfect sense.
That is exactly where you need maximum grip~ability.
MORE SO than on the grip panels.
In addition...it just plain looks good.
No objections ever from me on a nicely checked front strap. :smile:

Please forgive the cheese grating joke. I just couldn't help it. :poke:

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
NICE!! :smile:

It's that weight up front that turns me on most!!

·
Premium Member
20,045 Posts
I just love 1911s in all black. That looks like a nice one. I like the checkering on the front strap and have never had a problem with any abrasions from them. You probably could grate cheese with them, I could on mine. Dang, Andy, you are getting too many cool guns in such a short time. I'm jealous. :wink:

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bump'r the next week should be like the second coming of X-mas. I am soo excited. Pics will follow

~A

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
Good looking gun what are the grips ... I know some have complained about the front strap checkering on springfields but doesnt bother me at all in my line of work my habds get cut up and tore up all the time so that might be why :sheildsmi

·
Registered
104 Posts
One reason I hang around here so much is because it seems all the mods are 1911 fans like I am. That gun looks really nice- what model is it?
As far as the front strap- I saw a Springer TRP at a gun show and was really surprised at how sharp the checkering was. It was really nice though. My next one may be a Springer.

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Simple question:

If you were a gun maker, why wouldn't you checker the front straps of all your 1911s? I mean honestly if you make it part of the production process it's not going to cost a whole lot.

Everyone that gets a 1911 seems to have to have that done anyway, although personally I'd just look for a wraparound grip and save a couple hundred dollars. Of course if you're concealing it, then a sleeve grip or wraparound grip kind of sucks sometimes.

I do have to admit this gun is neat though. I've never seen that exact configuration. :top:

·
Super Moderator
25,537 Posts
Nice!! :3some:

Looks like it's set up for match shooting. You going to be doing some?

·
Registered
868 Posts
As to front straps-sometimes people order a 1911 and forget about the front strap being stipled or not. Checkering of the front strap helps when drawing a 1911 to get that initial grasp. It is really needed when blood is on the grip or so I understand. I have sent a gun for for front grip checkering onetime and its a surprise being s sharp to the feel. After a long day in class it can draw a little blood.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
I would like chequering on front strap of many semi's - but not the coarse deal - rather a very fine, more like a ''roughening''. I have skateboard tape on my BHP which works more than well - and does not IMO radically spoil the gun's looks. The pic shows it - well, partly! (Not sure right now if my server down - it ain't showin yet.) - ahh - url syntax prob! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
236 Posts
My Kimber had one of those "blood donor" front straps. Since it was stainless, the solution was simple. I used some fine emory cloth (400-600 grit) cut into a strips, and with a light shoeshine action following the round contour of the front strap, knock the "tips" off the checkering. It did nothing to decrease the grip action, but took a noticeable if not annoying bite out of it when shooting.

If this was a real problem on a blued gun, it might be fixed in a similar fashion then cleaned up with some cold blue in the strap area. Just a thought!

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
I actually prefer a non checkered front strap if i want anything either wrap round grips or skateboard tape i can take it or leave it ... my springer i carry the most is plain .

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I like checkered front straps and this one is quite the checkered.

Hawkeye, this model is the SA TRP Operator Mdl# PC9105L. As for plans for this pistol, trigger swap with a trigger that does not have such a wide blade. Trigger job and maybe new grips a la aluma grips.

~A

·
Registered
104 Posts
Dang you APachon for posting your pics. I went today to a local gun shop and they just happened to have one. It was awesome- I really didn't need to see it. That thing is a hoss- I bet it HAS to shoot well. I don't want to be rude or anything, but did you get a good deal on it? Davidson's has it for $1309 right now.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I got a phenomenal deal on it

·
Registered
6,749 Posts
NICE Toy ya got there!! The front strap looks cool on a full size 1911. I'm sure the slightly added weight makes the gun more controlable too. Looks like a WINNER to me !! I like those grips on it. What are they? I love hearing about people who get a good deal on what they want most! I'm looking forward to seeing a range report on it AP..Happy shooting ! :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
They are some tactical uber ninja grip spec'd out by FBI HRT or so I have been told by an SA Rep. They are some plastic that has been shot with like 3M adhesive and then blasted with some grip around 80 or so I would say.

Range report to follow real soon.

~A

1 - 20 of 26 Posts