Defensive Carry banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
View attachment 1670 Colt XSE1070
Went to pick up the Detonics 9-11-01, long story short the pistol looked as if someone had run over it with a truck...
Very Disappointed to say the least, however Alan Miller at Big Al's Gun Shack in Greeneville, Tn. took care of me and I ended picking out this instead. Also picked up a Blackhawk Serpa CQC holster and two Wilson Combat 8 rd mags to compliment the 2 Colt 8 rd mags that came with it. If anyone is in East TN and needs a firearm or firearm accessory, you can bet Alan will do you right! I've dealt with him for several years now and he always makes sure you're happy before you leave....

I will post range report as soon as I get the chance ....

·
Registered
5,142 Posts
Congrats on your choice.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
dimmak said:
View attachment 1670 Colt XSE1070
Went to pick up the Detonics 9-11-01, long story short the pistol looked as if someone had run over it with a truck...
Very Disappointed to say the least, however Alan Miller at Big Al's Gun Shack in Greeneville, Tn. took care of me and I ended picking out this instead. Also picked up a Blackhawk Serpa CQC holster and two Wilson Combat 8 rd mags to compliment the 2 Colt 8 rd mags that came with it. If anyone is in East TN and needs a firearm or firearm accessory, you can bet Alan will do you right! I've dealt with him for several years now and he always makes sure you're happy before you leave....

I will post range report as soon as I get the chance ....
Please do!

You made a nice choice and have a very buildable platform if your feeling custom down the road.

Very Nice.

How is the overall appearance/fitment of the XSE?

Ti.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Oh my - that sounds bad!!! :eek:

However looks like you have done well in the end! Now - to send lead downrange!

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I was all psyched about the Detonics and when we opened it up, I could scarcely believe my eyes! I'm sure that this pistol was not an accurate example of Detonics USA's q.c, at least I hope not.....

Mainspring housing was loaded with flash between the ribs, left grip panel was scratched, safety lever looked like a cast part without any finishing buffing, small scratches and dings here and there....
I have a 1991 Sig 226 that looks much better than it did,which is sad...
I plan on a few mods to the Colt after I've put a "few" downrange and yes the slide to frame fit is very tight on the Colt...
I field stripped, cleaned / lubed it and will be polishing the feedramp in the morning, it wont need much though...
What about recoil buffers on these? Pros / Cons?

·
Super Moderator
22,006 Posts
You chose wisely.

Nice Colt sir.

·
Registered
737 Posts
:hand10: If you have functional problems with that pistol I'll be very surprised. May it serve you well.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Nice Colt! I never saw the need for shock buffs personally, just an extra part that'll need periodic replacement and someting else that could go wrong. I think the only thing I'd do is "maybe" install an extended thumb safety - provided the trigger and sights are to your liking. Definitely a nice score.
Jack

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys, Im awful proud of this one, As far as the extended thumb safety is concerned, It's having an extended ambi (Colt factory) installed as I type this.....
I dont trust my 1911 gunsmithing skills enough to do it myself...

·
Super Moderator
19,005 Posts
nice pistol.

·
Super Moderator
22,006 Posts
What about recoil buffers on these? Pros / Cons?
Personally, I won't use them on a carry piece, especially Commander length.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
I have Buffer Tech's in a couple of my 5" .45's and they seem to cut down on the slide slam. Recoil ?? Who knows. -------

·
Registered
291 Posts
Nice looking Colt. Sorry about the poor quality on the Detonics. I've
been saving for the Combat Master and was hoping for a range report prior to my purchase.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Bruces45 said:
Very nice choice, you will not be let down with it. How are the edges on it? When I bought mine you could shave with it they were so sharp. I did my own dehorn job, you can take a look at how it turned out here, on page 4 http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=6213&page=4&highlight=XSE
Its not hard at all, just time consuming.
Bruce looks good, I am thinking about doing that or having it done at COLT, I like the looks of the Gunsite pistols (Dehorned and Bead blasted), so I may see if I can have that done as well.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts