Defensive Carry banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got this crazy idea in my head that I wanted to upgrade my .45 so started looking at 1911's to see what all the hoopla was about. Did a bunch of research and then just had to have this one. After going to the range with this sweetheart, NOW I know why so many can like the 1911's. It shoots great!

Springfield Armory Mil-Spec 1911 "Loaded"

Attachments

·
Registered
245 Posts
Congrat's on the new 1911. Can't go wrong with a Springer; lifetime warranty and excellent customer service. :)

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Congrats on joining the "Springer Fan Club"! You picked a great one and nice pics.

IMO they are the best 1911's out there for the money. They're not as pretty as other higher priced .45's but they will do their job and then some!

My 1900 Standard has 100k+ rounds through it and is still going strong. It eats ANY ammo I feed it. Had it reparkerized last year as it was looking well used.

·
Super Moderator
50,596 Posts
Congrats on a great addition...:hand10:

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Congrats on joining the "Springer Fan Club"! You picked a great one and nice pics.

IMO they are the best 1911's out there for the money. They're not as pretty as other higher priced .45's but they will do their job and then some!

My 1900 Standard has 100k+ rounds through it and is still going strong. It eats ANY ammo I feed it. Had it reparkerized last year as it was looking well used.

A 100,000 rounds? :popout2:

What parts have you replaced? Any signs of metal fatigue?

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
Congrats on the new 1911... :congrats: Springers are great... :banana:

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
A 100,000 rounds? :popout2:

What parts have you replaced? Any signs of metal fatigue?
Yep it has around 102K rounds through it and no signs of breakage or fatigue. Replaced the extractor around 70K and change out the recoil and mag springs as needed. Also use a Wilson Shok Buff that gets replaced every 500 rounds to keep the battering down for range practice. Take it out for SD use as I don't trust em as they can tie up the pistol if they do come apart. I'm semi handy but have a retired Gunners Mate Chief buddy who is a fantastic 1911 gunsmith and works for beer. He gives it a thorough annual check up for me.

I'm sure there are others here who have 100K through theirs also.

Must say many of these were reduced power handloads that I cranked out when I had my old Dillon 450 and shot the crap out of it for the first 8 years.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Can't really agree.....

on the 'not as pretty' comment. My edc (Springfield Armory )is either one of the 'prettiest' I have seen, or I need some serious spectacles!
It looks much better in 'person', but even the photo seems a good indication to my eyes.:wink:

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everyone. Did a bit of a polish to the feed ramp and throat at the chamber to feed HP's a little smoother. Took it to the range and after 300 rds ball and 50 HP, no firing or feeding problems. Accuracy is almost as good as my XDm but maybe I just shoot that more comfortably. Not sure.

Have a little problem with the front sight though. The set screw in the top of the Tijicon night sight is backing out. I guess its a set screw. My eyes aren't what they used to be and haven't had time to really check it out yet. I just know that when I was aiming it I noticed the screw sticking up from the front post. Tried to fit a hex wrench into it to tighten it and the smallest I have is .05 inches. Sent an email to SA but haven't received an answer yet on how to solve the problem. Anyone here know?

·
Registered
370 Posts
looks sweet man. I can't wait for the day I bring home a 1911!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Yep, I agree Springers are great.

I just got my EMP 40 SW, and now I find myself longing for an Operator Champion!!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Have a little problem with the front sight though. The set screw in the top of the Tijicon night sight is backing out. I guess its a set screw. My eyes aren't what they used to be and haven't had time to really check it out yet. I just know that when I was aiming it I noticed the screw sticking up from the front post. Tried to fit a hex wrench into it to tighten it and the smallest I have is .05 inches. Sent an email to SA but haven't received an answer yet on how to solve the problem. Anyone here know?
I just took a look at the Trijicon sights on my SA EMP. The rear sight has a hex screw, but it looks like the front sight has one of those rolled pins that hold it in.

Did you get your Springer new? If so, there should be a small plastic bag with a couple of hex wrenches. The large one fits the grip screws and the small one fits the rear sight.

If your problem is with the front sight, I would take it to a gunsmith and have him secure the pin. If you are brave you could try to tap it back in, or replace it yourself.

Hope this helps. :hand10:

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I just took a look at the Trijicon sights on my SA EMP. The rear sight has a hex screw, but it looks like the front sight has one of those rolled pins that hold it in.

Did you get your Springer new? If so, there should be a small plastic bag with a couple of hex wrenches. The large one fits the grip screws and the small one fits the rear sight.

If your problem is with the front sight, I would take it to a gunsmith and have him secure the pin. If you are brave you could try to tap it back in, or replace it yourself.

Hope this helps. :hand10:
Bill thanks. Yeah, I bought it new and have the two hex wrenches. The problem was with the front sight and the roll pin as backing out. I very gently tapped it back in and should be good to go for a little while. At least until it works its way back out again. I sent another email to SA and will follow up with a phone call Monday. I haven't heard back from them yet via email. Hope I can get through on the phone.

Besides that, the only other problem I see so far is the left side bottom outside edge of the slide is shiny where the parkerizing has worn off. I can only assume its from rubbing on the slide release tab. Is this normal? Its barely noticable but on a brand new gun I do notice it.

After 300 rounds and the slight buffing I gave the feed ramp, cocking lug and chamber throat and fine layer of grease on the slide rails and cocking lug the durn thing is sssssmmmoooooth! Love the way it shoots and its dead-on accurate.

Thanks for the info everyone. Gonna have to go out and get a carry version of this weapon before too long.

Bud

·
Registered
11,499 Posts
Yep, nice 1911 you got there. I want one too but I want one without a bushing. I just hate messing with the darn thing. It's just one of my little quirks. I hate barrel bushings on 1911's. I find them to be a pain in the neck.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts