Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I had to sell my beloved AR last winter. It was a sad day, I loved that thing. Well, I had the best month of my 17 year career (sales) and made a huge commission. So after paying the bills and so,e other stuff, I had just enough left over to buy a new rifle.

I agonized over the decision (and the money) for about two weeks now. yesterday it culminated in a trip to the gun store and falling in love with the MOE version of a century arms AK. Yes, before anyone says it, I know they get a bad rap online. But I have friends with them and they run fine and are very accurate. This was in my price range, looks great, and feels very well made. So that said, I added a BCM short vertical grip and we are ready to go to the range this afternoon!

What drew me to the AK was the following:
Figured I better get one now as Hildabeast is likely going to try and ban them.
Always wanted one
AK ammo is silly cheap (just bought 120 rounds of 7.62 Tula for $35 out the door!)
A 30 caliber, 122gr bullet makes me feel warm and fuzzy
Should prove reliable and not a direct impingement system, so should be easier to clean and keep running
Rick Grimes uses one on the walking dead (ok, I admit it, this is the real reason why I bought it!)

image.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
Nice. Your money your toy. Have fun shooting.

Reactions: smolck

·
Registered
348 Posts
Nice! I am thinking about an AK but I am leaning toward a VZ-58 from Czechpoint. That way every firearm I own will be Czech.. lol.

·
Registered
417 Posts
My son is U.S. Border Patrol agent. He just bought a Daniel Defense Ar-15 two weeks ago and a X95 Tavor last week just in case God forbid Hillary get elected. He was very young during the AWB but he still remembers how hard things where then.

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So I just got back from the range with my 12 year old. We both had a blast. 120 rounds of Tulammo 122gr steel ammo went through it without so much as a hiccup. I did some rapid fire and got it really hot (smoke coming from hand guards) but the MOË handguards kept my hands 100% unaware of the heat. My only gripe about the MOË furniture is the stock. Since it is strait across from the receiver it beats the stew out of my cheek when shooting the irons. I'll either have to change stocks or install a red dot because my cheek hurts pretty badly (was having too much fun to stop).

It was almost dead on at 25 yards (battle zero) right out of the box. My first three shot group was sub MOA and only 1" high. A quick turn of the wrench and it was DEAD on at 25yards. Then I was also hitting a milk jug at 200yards with the normal irons. Yes, it is as accurate as I can be, that is certain.

One thing i really noticed was the power with which the 7.62 round hit the berms and dirt hills. Lots of guys had ARs, and they simply do not hit with near the oomph this round does. Of course, it comes at a price. This rifle is a heavy compared to my 14.7" pinned AR. It feels like an AR that has two fully loaded mags coupled together. It just isn't as light an manuevaerable as an AR.

All in all I am happy with it. If you read the reviews of both the Century Arms AK and the Tulammo online you would expect me to come home with a broken rifle, and stitches. Instead, I came home with a happy son and feeling good about my purchase.

That is all, if anyone has stock ideas or ways to help me not get pummeled in the cheek if love to hear them. Thanks!

·
Banned
3,119 Posts
So I just got back from the range with my 12 year old. We both had a blast. 120 rounds of Tulammo 122gr steel ammo went through it without so much as a hiccup. I did some rapid fire and got it really hot (smoke coming from hand guards) but the MOË handguards kept my hands 100% unaware of the heat. My only gripe about the MOË furniture is the stock. Since it is strait across from the receiver it beats the stew out of my cheek when shooting the irons. I'll either have to change stocks or install a red dot because my cheek hurts pretty badly (was having too much fun to stop).

It was almost dead on at 25 yards (battle zero) right out of the box. My first three shot group was sub MOA and only 1" high. A quick turn of the wrench and it was DEAD on at 25yards. Then I was also hitting a milk jug at 200yards with the normal irons. Yes, it is as accurate as I can be, that is certain.

One thing i really noticed was the power with which the 7.62 round hit the berms and dirt hills. Lots of guys had ARs, and they simply do not hit with near the oomph this round does. Of course, it comes at a price. This rifle is a heavy compared to my 14.7" pinned AR. It feels like an AR that has two fully loaded mags coupled together. It just isn't as light an manuevaerable as an AR.

All in all I am happy with it. If you read the reviews of both the Century Arms AK and the Tulammo online you would expect me to come home with a broken rifle, and stitches. Instead, I came home with a happy son and feeling good about my purchase.

That is all, if anyone has stock ideas or ways to help me not get pummeled in the cheek if love to hear them. Thanks!
Nice to hear Smolck. Ive been hearing great reviews about the new Wasr10, but I procrastinated too long. Now everyone is out of stock except for the price gougers. Mean while, ARs are everywhere at low prices...

Even though its a CA AK :rolleyes:, Im glad that at least you an AK you like before they all disappear. :smile: Anyone else who wants one needs to follow your lead.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Move face right up to the back of reciever to get rid of cheek slap. You have tuck in on the AK

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,705 Posts
Nice! It's American made and the Tula 7.62x39mm ammo is a bargain everywhere including Walmart. Have fun blasting concrete blocks :smile:

Reactions: smolck

·
Registered
83 Posts
I always heard to stay away from anything from Century so I bought a Chinese AK from a friend. I swear the bullets exit the barrel at a 45 degree angle. Worst accuracy I've ever experienced. I was using Wolf and some of that gold Tiger stuff. The sights are awful, the action won't lock open . . . meh. I bought it because I wanted a semi auto 30 cal in the collection and didn't want to spend $2500 plus 60 to 75 cents a round for ammo in an SR25 or AR10 type gun. After the experience I ended up with the .308 AR10 anyway. Buy it for fun and to piss off the in-laws.

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Move face right up to the back of reciever to get rid of cheek slap. You have tuck in on the AK
Thank you. I will experiment with better technique. I'm going to try a muzzle break too because my son is smaller and can't tuck up like I can. Might go with an M4 adjustable stock conversion if we can't make this current config work. Also need a red dot and sling......it never ends!

·
Banned
5,171 Posts
I always heard to stay away from anything from Century so I bought a Chinese AK from a friend. I swear the bullets exit the barrel at a 45 degree angle. Worst accuracy I've ever experienced. I was using Wolf and some of that gold Tiger stuff. The sights are awful, the action won't lock open . . . meh. I bought it because I wanted a semi auto 30 cal in the collection and didn't want to spend $2500 plus 60 to 75 cents a round for ammo in an SR25 or AR10 type gun. After the experience I ended up with the .308 AR10 anyway. Buy it for fun and to piss off the in-laws.
Why didn't you look at an FAL or G3 clone? Yeah, ammo is still $.50-.60 a pop but very good examples of the rifles can be had for well under a grand.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Why didn't you look at an FAL or G3 clone? Yeah, ammo is still $.50-.60 a pop but very good examples of the rifles can be had for well under a grand.

Oh, I didn't buy an actual Armalite. They're great but for right around a grand I felt the best value was the S&W M&P 10 so I bought one of those.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts