Defensive Carry banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Years ago I watched the entire "What Would Stoner Do" on the InRange TV channel on Youtube. Was an interesting thought experiment they performed. For those who havent seen it, one of the two hosts bought an original Colt SP-1 and after some time shooting it compared to all the more modern ARs just thought... Where did we go wrong? Stoner designed the AR to be a lightweight, handy, simple to use rifle. Many of them today have turned into 10+lb behemoths with more buttons, switches, and adjustment then a drivers seat on a new car.

They wanted to perform a thought experiment where if Stoner was designing the AR15 with the technology and materials we have available today, what would the end product be? They designed an all polymer lower receiver as the foundation. There are other polymer receivers, but they basically took the design of the aluminum receiver and just made it out of polymer. That doesnt work, it isnt strong enough. They designed this from the ground up, created the tooling, created an entire manufacturing process, and brought this lower to the market. It is 100% polymer and has an integrated pistol grip and fixed stock. A fully built AR lower, with standard trigger, mag release, buffer, etc, weighs in just a hair over 25oz, about 10oz lighter than a standard aluminum lower with mil-spec style furniture. Add this to an upper with a pencil weight 14.5" barrel (which with modern heat treating is no issue, like the old M16s that would have a zero that would walk all over after even just a single mag), a carbon fiber handguard, and a lightweight red dot, standard BCG, and lightweight quick adjust sling, and you have a tough rifle that can come in as little as 5lbs, some people cut an ounce here or there and even end up with a final product thats in the upper 4lb range. The complete rifle without any optic, but with a 16" barrel, is 4lb 15oz.

What I bought was just the stripped upper, but they have a complete rifle you can buy as well. Im not 100% if Im going to use all of the parts they list, like the KE Arms trigger and the JP Silent Captured recoil spring, but it should be pretty similar. Going to put it together slowly, piece by piece as things go on sale. Should be quite a different experience than my basic PSA 16" rifle with mil spec furniture, or my BCM with all the tricked out stuff on it that makes it a bit of a chunker. The best part? The stripped upper is $110, and no need to buy a grip, stock, buffer tube, castle nut, etc.

Here are a few links if youre interested in seeing more. Im pretty excited to get it in.

Stripped lower:

Complete rifle:

Video on the complete:

·
Registered
41,382 Posts
At my first duty station, I had a coworker who was formerly army and did a tour in VN. He said he switched over to the AF after being shot down three times in helicopters and knew there was no survivable future in airborne infantry. He hated the M-16 and said he regularly had to dip the barrel into the rice paddies to keep the barrel from melting.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
At my first duty station, I had a coworker who was formerly army and did a tour in VN. He said he switched over to the AF after being shot down three times in helicopters and knew there was no survivable future in airborne infantry. He hated the M-16 and said he regularly had to dip the barrel into the rice paddies to keep the barrel from melting.
A lightweight profile barrel is never going to take kindly to dumping multiple mags full auto. Eventually, the gas tube is just going to burst. But on the old M16s the technology for heat treating just didnt exist. Maybe the gun would shoot a 2 MOA group when cold, and after dumping 2 mags it would shoot a 6 MOA group or a group thats hitting in a wildly different spot. Thats going to be any gun with the barrel gets hot, but the problem with the old thinner barrels, it that one gun might get hit and shoot high left, and another gun might get hot and shoot way right. Maybe the group expand a bit, maybe it doesnt. Just unpredictable, and hard to use.

In their video series, they do testing of this, with these modern heat treating methods on modern manufacture barrels that hold zero under heat and compare to an old Colt SP-1. The pencil barrel is great, but back in the day, they just didnt have the technology to make them functional. Now, we do.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It’s underway. Sort of mocked everything up, minus the trigger snd LPK which I’m still waiting on.

Even with a BCG and buffer, this thing is nice and light

1 - 5 of 5 Posts