Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year, after being a confirmed 1911 guy for quite a while, I converted to Glock with the purchase of a Glock 19 (love that gun, by the way).

Now (in my best James Earl Jones imitation) my journey to the dark side is complete.

I have just acquired my first AR-15 - a Rock River LAR-15 to be exact.

It's a basic AR-15 without any bells or whistles. I figure that I will leave it that way except I do plan to add an Eotech sight in the near future.

I would post pictures but I am technologically challenged. I guess I should have purchased a digital camera, too!!

My brother came up for a visit and a combatives class and we went to Virginia Arms where we picked up matching LAR-15's (ain't that sweet?).

The best part is that HE PAID FOR MINE!!!!! I think as big brothers go, he is about the best!

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
Welcome to the AR club. They really fun rifles to shot.

Enjoy

·
Registered
558 Posts
Yes indeed, welcome to the dark side :congrats:

As long as you resist the really, really dark part of the dark side (adding accessories), you're wallet will thank you.

If you keep a Midway or Brownell's catalog in your bathroom, you're AR is doomed to have more gadgets on it than a swiss army knife.

Congratulations on the purchase though :smile:

·
Banned
5,252 Posts
I just got back from the Range today.

I use an AR at work, but otherwise can't stand them. I own an AR, same make/model as what I use at work so that I can train on my own time.

Anyway, welcome to the bleak side. :bier: I don't like a lot of crap on my AR. Two of my buddies came over and I was looking at and handling their AR's. They weighed more than a Sharps 45-70. That's pretty heavy for an Infantry Rifle that one has to lug around all day.

No thanks, I'll keep mine simple please. My advice, for what it's worth:

1) Keep it "wet".
2) Be very slow to make changes to you new AR.
3) Learn to shoot your AR in it's factory "stock" form for at least a year.
4) Keep it "wet".
5) See #1 and #4 above.

Biker

·
Premium Member
937 Posts
I never thought I would get one, but now I'm really considering it. Anybody know what the availability is like? I'm busy doing research to see what I want (some of it on here). Of course, any suggestions would be welcome.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Welcome to the AR club PaulG.
I have a Bushmaster AR with a 16in barrel
telescopic stock, houge grip and forend.
Cool your bro bought the gun for you.
Guns make the best gifts dont they.

·
Registered
15,177 Posts
I love AR's I been assembling a few kits I ordered back in January,16" heavy barrel 6 pos buttstock,A3 upper KISS

·
Registered
358 Posts
Just finished building mine on Saturday. It was a year in the making. I guess we both have made the transition.

·
Registered
657 Posts
As long as you resist the really, really dark part of the dark side (adding accessories), you're wallet will thank you.
If the really, really dark side has to do with money spent... it ain't accessories - it's drooling over SPR, SBR, Recon, and Afgan builds by Noveske or G&RTactical... those guns will ensure that you're never done buying another rifle - no matter how many of your kids' college funds you burn through to get there!!

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's great, what I would like to know is where do I get a brother like that!
Not sure if they make them anymore.

He is 2 years older than me and has spent always looked after me. I think I might keep him around.

As far as "keeping it wet", that's what the guy at Virginia Arms said. He said that 99.9% of the malfunctions he has seen were the result of having a dry gun. I guess that's the down side. With my AK, I can drag it through the muck and still fire it ok.

MP45Man - at Virginia Arms, they had a wall full of 'em. Half the fun was having them take down a bunch of them for us to check out before making a decision. So it looks like there are plenty available.

We took ours to the range the day after we bought them and they were sweet. We only needed to adjust the sights slightly.

I guess the next stop should be a 50 caliber.

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
An AR will run clean & dry, or dirty & wet... but NOT dirty & dry. But there's over-lubed as well. Don't listen to hear-say or everything you read on the internet. Follow the manufacturer's guidelines & enjoy "The Black Rifle Cult". (*And your next stop should NOT be a .50 cal, it should be a .338 Lapua :wink:), Congrats on your AR!

·
Registered
413 Posts
Paul,
Very Nice, After I pick up my new Ruger LCR this week I have set my sights(pun intended)on two deferent AR's One is the ROCK RIVER ENTRY TACTICAL A4 .223/5.56mm 16" W/CARRY and the other is a DPMS Panther AP4 Car. Miculek Comp

I have also read about "keeping them wet"

·
Premium Member
937 Posts
MP45Man - at Virginia Arms, they had a wall full of 'em. Half the fun was having them take down a bunch of them for us to check out before making a decision. So it looks like there are plenty available.
Thanks, I'm stopping at a gun shop I frequent when I'm visiting a vendor I do business with tomorrow. Hopefully, they will have something.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Last year, after being a confirmed 1911 guy for quite a while, I converted to Glock with the purchase of a Glock 19 (love that gun, by the way).

Now (in my best James Earl Jones imitation) my journey to the dark side is complete.

I have just acquired my first AR-15 - a Rock River LAR-15 to be exact.

It's a basic AR-15 without any bells or whistles. I figure that I will leave it that way except I do plan to add an Eotech sight in the near future.

I would post pictures but I am technologically challenged. I guess I should have purchased a digital camera, too!!

My brother came up for a visit and a combatives class and we went to Virginia Arms where we picked up matching LAR-15's (ain't that sweet?).

The best part is that HE PAID FOR MINE!!!!! I think as big brothers go, he is about the best!

would your family possibly be interested adopting in a gray, slightly balding 56 year old baby brother:smile:?

surv

ps I am potty trained already

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
would your family possibly be interested adopting in a gray, slightly balding 56 year old baby brother:smile:?

surv

ps I am potty trained already
Well . . . it's kinda like this: when my daughter was little, she asked why we never got her a little brother or sister. I told her that we only had a certain amount of money to spend on her for clothes, toys, etc.

If we got her a little brother or sister, she would get all this stuff cut in half.

She thought about it and then said, "that's OK, I have a lot of friends, I don't need a brother or sister."

So, if we adopt you, there will be that much less for me.

So . . . . . NO!!! :image035:

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Grats on the EBR!!!

I was plinking orange clays from over 150 yards iron sights on my little 16" Colt LE6920. Never let anyone tell you this is not one hell of an accurate weapon.

I guess now I deserve to mod my carbine since I have been shooting AR based weapons in the military for years. More so than a standard military person due to my line of work.

No matter how much you thought you knew about a m16 m4 etc... you will quickly learn how much you didnt know now that you own one and want to mod and lean the intricacies of the weapon system.

·
Premium Member
937 Posts
Thanks, I'm stopping at a gun shop I frequent when I'm visiting a vendor I do business with tomorrow. Hopefully, they will have something.
Stopped in today and they had quite a bit of AR15s from different manufacturers. Most of them were at the lower end of the quality scale (at least based on my research). They did have on Colt there on consignment for $1500. It seemed a little steep. I've got to visit some other shops and keep on reading. The search continues.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts