Defensive Carry banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just put together this 20" HBAR AR15A3 rifle. Always wanted a "classic" looking 20" M-16 clone. PSA A2 lower, Delton 20" HBAR A3 upper, spare A2 sight/handle I had, and a M16 BCG. All the parts' color match pretty well. All for less than $600. Took it out to the range for first time today; while the HBAR barrel IS noticebly heavy (I have 3 other 16" carbines ARs), it certainly stays steady, and I noticed that the groups didn't open up much at all after volume of fire that would've heated a carbine M4 profile or lightweight barrel up. It is pretty darn accurate; that group is 5 shots at 75 yards using the irons and shooting cheap Russian steel cased 55 gr FMJ ammo. The one high shot flyer was user error. The PSA stock trigger is good for milspec. Functioned flawlessly with no FTF/FTEs with brass and steel ammo. Super fun rifle to get back to basics with.

·
Registered
8,816 Posts
Looks good. I love the A3 version.

I just put together an M4 style lower with all MagPul stuff and a PSA kit with their EPT trigger. I put that lower on my old high dollar National Match A3 Competition Service Rifle. It has a White Oak match barrel and was just sitting in the safe minus the lower. So now it is back in service. I changed out the match iron rear sight and put a little 3-9 scope on it. Makes a nice 5.56 sniper rifle and the M4 adjustable stock lower makes it easy to use with body armor or for Mrs OldChap, should the need ever arise.

Those 20 inch A3's will reach out to 600 yards very nicely. You may need some 77 grain bullets - if they ever come back in stock.

you probably know this, but a 20 inch A3 can easily use a nice scope and you don't have to remove the front sight base. Just make sure to get the scope up to the right elevation. You can go back to the carry handle and it should hold point of impact pretty close.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks good. I love the A3 version.

I just put together an M4 style lower with all MagPul stuff and a PSA kit with their EPT trigger. I put that lower on my old high dollar National Match A3 Competition Service Rifle. It has a White Oak match barrel and was just sitting in the safe minus the lower. So now it is back in service. I changed out the match iron rear sight and put a little 3-9 scope on it. Makes a nice 5.56 sniper rifle and the M4 adjustable stock lower makes it easy to use with body armor or for Mrs OldChap, should the need ever arise.

Those 20 inch A3's will reach out to 600 yards very nicely. You may need some 77 grain bullets - if they ever come back in stock.

you probably know this, but a 20 inch A3 can easily use a nice scope and you don't have to remove the front sight base. Just make sure to get the scope up to the right elevation. You can go back to the carry handle and it should hold point of impact pretty close.
Sounds like you have a nice combo! The HBAR barrel on this one is a 1/9 twist so probably wouldn't do well with 77's, but I shoot 55 gr stuff mostly, with some 62 - 68 gr stuff occasionally, which the 1/9 barrels handle fine. I may get a scope for it, dial that in, just to pop it on and play with it some, but honestly I was enjoying the iron sights a lot today. I use irons on some 22 LRs, and other mil surps like Mausers, SKS, and Mosins, but the A2 sights on these 20" ARs is such an accurate combo that I like it as is.

·
Registered
8,816 Posts
You're right. I forgot that the barrel on mine is a 1/7 and a Wylde chamber to boot. Look for some of the 52 grain HPBT loadings if you want to see what it will really do. I think Hornady and maybe Black Hills still load them. Reloading your own is even better.

I shot my A3 rifle in Service Rifle matches. The barrel is free floating, but looks just like a normal issue A3. The front sling mount is attached to the free float tube rather than the barrel so it doesn't stress the barrel when using the sling.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You're right. I forgot that the barrel on mine is a 1/7 and a Wylde chamber to boot. Look for some of the 52 grain HPBT loadings if you want to see what it will really do. I think Hornady and maybe Black Hills still load them. Reloading your own is even better.

I shot my A3 rifle in Service Rifle matches. The barrel is free floating, but looks just like a normal issue A3. The front sling mount is attached to the free float tube rather than the barrel so it doesn't stress the barrel when using the sling.

View attachment 338928
Wow. that's similar to mine in appearance only! LOL I'm sure it's a tack driver.

·
Registered
8,816 Posts
You're going to enjoy yours - they are all tack drivers. Have fun!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts